Japanese Megadrive Collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
    I doubt the VC/XBLA will see the likes of Gleylancer and other uncommon games.
    Actually that will appear since NCS Masaiya is one of the companies that support Virtual Console. Also expect to find Gynoug and Hell Fire on there at some point. Still, that doesn't bother me. I'll still buy the originals.

@tom204 - If you're looking for Japanese MD info, I have about 100 titles on my site complete with cover art, instruction art and cartridge scans ! Many quality titles included ad well.

Yakumo
    Last edited by Yakumo; 26-08-2007, 03:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Montario View Post
      sega-16 is the site I usually refer to, but if there's any others, i'd love to see 'em.

I'd like to get some Jap MD games, Snow Bros & Slap Fight, but they're hellishly expensive. Can you still play Jap games on a uk MD (switched) if all you do is hack the sides off the cartridge slot? That's what we did when we were kids anyway... wouldn't want one of those cartridge converters. They look poo!
      Great site! Is there anything similar for SFC / N64?

Comment

Originally posted by Montario View Post
        I'd like to get some Jap MD games, Snow Bros & Slap Fight, but they're hellishly expensive. Can you still play Jap games on a uk MD (switched) if all you do is hack the sides off the cartridge slot? That's what we did when we were kids anyway... wouldn't want one of those cartridge converters. They look poo!
        You can play early Japanese games that way, later ones check to see what refresh rate the console is running in, and if its 50hz then they will refuse to run..

I'd like Snow Bros, I played the arcade version quite a bit one time on holiday in Spain in the hotel - it was ace.

Comment

Hmmm, slight spanner in the works - the MD was my first import console in 1989 and I still I have a Japanese MD and a core of a dozen or so games. However, IMHO in overall total game quality/appeal I would have to probably put it a distant third behind the SNES and PC Engine in the hierarchy of consoles of that generation. I say this as there are only four games that remain the reason I do not sell it:

Afterburner
          Golden Axe
          Super Hang On
          Super Shinobi

All very early and I know many will think they come way down the list of MD essentials but for me they hold a lot of memories. All very arcadely and I know there are many 'bigger' titles on MD but compared to the many triple AAA (mostly Nintendo published and Shigeru Miyamoto inspired) pieces of genius on SNES, well...

Comment

LOVE segagagadomain, thanks for the links!

Comment

Originally posted by tom2004 View Post
              LOVE segagagadomain, thanks for the links!
              I'm glad you found it of some use. All those MD games are part of my personal collection. As you can see I'm still after a few classics such as Glay Lancer, Runark (yeah, I know it's **** but...) and Snow bothers.

Yakumo

Comment

re: yakumo
                and i thought i was doing well with around 70 jp saturn games!
                my megadrive collection is still in its infancy, i only have alien soldier and battle mania 2 with musha aleste on the way but better than nothing!

Comment

I have got quite a few JPN MD games ive squirreled away.. but nowhere to display them.. lol..

Comment

Same here, al my mD stuff is in the cupboard but at least it doesn't get sun faded in there

Yakumo

Comment

MD collecting is so easy and cheap, I love it. As someone mentioned the plastic cases also make it easier to find stuff in great condition too, you've just gotta watch out for those sunfaded spines... I've gotten my 30th game this week, and I'm due 16 (I think) from Kubrick.

Lots of amazing games and loads can be had for buttons, so it's definitely worth it.

Comment

I started collecting jp md about 6 months ago when i bought a brand new megadrive, one of those ntsc-j japan & aisa jobbies. Its beautiful my entusiasium for picking up games for it has been a bit up and down mainly due to trying to collect for too many systems at the same time plus im really picky with the condition of the md games i buy, as the console is brand new feeding it anything less than new or mint carts seems just wrong! I even put it up for sale not so long ago, glad i chose to hang on to it now Then again i have mental problems. Only 3 games thus far, but 3 corkers, and im picking up Contra hard corps next week\o/
                        Daimakaimura,
                        Bare knuckle 2,
                        and Super Shinobi 2. Loads more i want though.

Comment

I sold my jap md Daimakaimura a while back because i have a jap saturn capcom generations 2 but i miss the cover art very badly. - Best md box art ever maybe no?

I just couldn't bring myself to buy the jap hardcorps so i just bought the us version instead.

Comment

I had the pal version before, just too hard for me and i hear the jp versions easier as it has a health bar rather than lives. It isnt cheap, but im only paying about the same as a new x360 game so thats not too bad imo. It is a stunning game and a stunning feat of megadrive programing

Comment

i was going to try and start collecting for the Megadrive/mega cd, but decided against it and sold most of the stuff off, still got a few Mega cd games laying around somewhere

i'm sticking with Saturn/N64/Dreamcast/PSone/NGCD collecting

trying to juggle to many collections can be expensive

Comment

Yeah i paid about 30 something for a jap splatter house part 2 whenever i could have bought the pal copy for a few quid.

Although i wanted to have the jap copy within my jap md collection as its one of my favourite md games.

I was thinking about buying the jap hard corps a long time ago for ?55 but then i got a good deal for a (usa) hard corps + (usa) Castle vania for ?21 shipped from ebay.com so i couldn't resist.

This is my jap md collection at the moment although i did have more i parted with, and i have them 2 usa games mentioned above and a few uncomplete pal games knocking about

Jap- all mint complete
                                Bare knuckle
                                Bare knuckle 2
                                Bare knuckle 3
                                Splatter house part 2
                                Ex-ranza
                                Devil crash
                                Rambo 3
                                Strider
                                Golden axe
                                Quack shot
                                Alex kidd enchanted castle