Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Mario All-Stars - a reappraisal needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allstars all the way for me!! I remember (was prob about 8 at the time) having some magazine and looking at these gorgeous screenshots of marios 1 and 3 and I was thinking "what the ****?" Ok "what the HELL" cos i wasn't allowed to swear obviously But I only had a NES at the time and had NO idea what mario allstars was! I was wondering if there was some sort of cheat to unlock better graphics or something Ye i know! *hides in shame*
    It was actually a mini walkthrough that came with official nintendo come to think of it.. but yeah, when i finally got to play allstars it was like a GODSEND!
    Playin Mario 3 with 16-bit power seemed so right! It was like playin it the way it was MEANT to be played. It's now one of my 5 all-time faves. EVER!

The ONLY downer i can think of is the "down the pipe" sound effect that got changed. Kinda sounds like 3 parps haha! We all now know that the 8-bit one is the way forward and im SO glad they kept it up til today!

I'd say 10/10 for allstars and 9/10 for the originals

God it's half past 3 in the morning already? Time for some Mario Galaxy!!

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      Well yeah the save game was esential for SMB3, but you could save in the nes version. So it wasnt as big a deal as the save addition to the older games. Plus the "extra" saves on the GBA version make it slightly too easy, though being handheld they are pretty much required.
      You couldn't save in the NES version of Super Mario Bros 3.

And I always liked Mario All Stars, I never felt a difference with the controls between NES and SNES versions.

At least, I managed to finish these Mario on the SNES, which I couldn't do on the NES (I was a kid then, I dunno if I can nowadays).

Comment

Once I get my NES sorted Im gonna fire up mario 3!! I wanna see how far I can get without the save feature! The no save just adds to the hardcore element IMO! Better Challenge! Just like not having the spin-dash in the original sonic 1. Oh and the no-save again heh.

Comment

Working...
        X