No announcement yet.

The Emperor's New Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kinda felt this way about Sonic 2. I still do. I feel its a bit of a let down in comparison to SOnic 1, 3 and Knuckles.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
      Also are you stating that almost every game on the PSone was crap or just the fighters?
      About 80% of the PSone library.

The later Tekken aren't bad, 1,2 and 3 may have been good at the time but just haven't aged well, their now rather slow, ulgy and lacklustre affairs. Where as VF2 has survived the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        About 80% of the PSone library.
        To be fair you say that abut any consoles video games library

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          To be fair you say that abut any consoles video games library
          Debatable...

Id agree with S3M and elaborate on his point...

As time has gone on, the percentage of below average games for each console has increased...
          Companies have realised that 'movie tie ins', 'any animal game ending in a Z' and 'Budget games, made by budget programmers' sell...

Im looking at you Wii!

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
            Debatable...
            of course it is

in my opinion i feel he is wrong about his assessment of the PSone library, but its just his opinion - plus if a system has 1000 games for it i guess saying there is 200 great games could be a honest point of view whcih i would preobably agree with

i may like game X and you dont and you could like game Y and i dont

so of course it is

point is every system has a ton of crap, but people prefer particular systems

so i say again you can say that about any console videogame library
            Last edited by buster_broon; 27-07-2008, 16:31.

Comment

I never saw what all the fuss was about with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I got the Xbox version a few months after release and at the time I was a writer on a videogame site. I posted about how underwhelmed I was and how it was so unchallenging it practically played itself and got properly flamed for it That said I'm not the biggest platformer fan ever.

Comment

i think I may be a bit of an inadvertant Sega hater, Rez, Outrun & Shenmue all totally fail to click for me and try as I can I don't see what the fuss is about. I even recall spending a relatively high price for the PS2 Rez and sat ther open mouthed at the crapness of it all.

Vertical shooters all suffer from a bit of 'so what' to me, how can a screen full of crap flying around like Ikaruga or Radiant SIlvergun be a classic, its all just space invaders tarted up a bit with some scrolling.

Okami & Shaddow of the Collosus were also both one play games that just seemed to have been over-praised to the heavens.

Prob for me is I like to be a bit of a contrarian so when everybody says something is a total classic think I get a kick out of not liking it.

Comment

2D Metroids - I adore the Prime trilogy but have found Super Metroid and Fusion to be quite dull. Never played Zero Mission as a consequence.

Comment

have to second that too, love the primes but the 2D metroids never clicked with me either.. and I like Castletroids, what the hell's wrong with me

Comment

Some of mine would be

Super Ghost N Ghouls - Horrible and a huge letdown , not a patch onthe awesome Mega Drive version , I really don't know why people rave about the game

Aera 88- One of the worst shooyters I've ever played , dull , boring and piss easy .

Mars Matrix - Why do people rave about this is beyond me , I thought it was rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                        2D Metroids - I adore the Prime trilogy but have found Super Metroid and Fusion to be quite dull. Never played Zero Mission as a consequence.
                        0_o

Fusion isn't the best Metroid game TBH, it's much more linear than any other game in the series, but Super Metroid? Damn man, that's cold. It's a shame you didn't try Zero Mission either as it's probably the best Metroid game of them all, at least equal with Super Metroid if not better.

Comment

Ninja Gaiden is a perfect example of this for me. There was so much hype and even edge's review made it sound really exiting. But my god when I actuallt came to play it I though it was some kind of joke. The game design just has no flair or imagination. It's a 3D ninja game done absolutely by the numbers, to me it feels like a souless western developed franchise not a Japanese game from a company with a strong 2D track record. Even the ninja, whatever his name is looks crap to me and he's got what looks like half a saucepan stuck to his head. The large move and weapon list is a needless complication as everything can be killed with just a couple different moves. The level design is sprawling but utterly dull and often unecessarily confusing. I seem to remember on a level in yet another brown and grey warehouse while I was fighting some stupid little flying robots I just thought it could'nt get any worse. I was most suprised when everyone seemed to love Ninja Gaiden and it being heralded as an aaa title, I just can't believe it to this day. It's dire if you ask me.

Funny Sands of Time should be mentioned as I've always thought it was exactly the game that Ninja Gaiden ought to have been; dynamic, immediate, super smooth and involving. A wonderful playground with a perfectly adapted moveset. Anyway, to each his own.
                          Last edited by moonwhistle; 27-07-2008, 22:09.

Comment

I read a quote in Edge's top 100 games edition by someone who
                            said Prince of Persia got them back into gaming. That's pretty much true for me. I found it to be so graceful and loved the gentle cerebral challenge of it all. I did think the combat was pretty dull but then that could be said of most, if not all, 3D brawlers. Overall I loved it but we all have different tastes.

To be honest I think that's a problem with all reviews and the whole mindset of 'must play games', top 100 lists and 1001 games/films/books to play/watch/read before you die. They make you feel as though you've done something wrong when you don't like game x.

On a side note, why anyone like Elevator Action Returns I have no idea.
                            Last edited by BigDeadFreak; 28-07-2008, 01:11.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                              i think I may be a bit of an inadvertant Sega hater, Rez, Outrun & Shenmue all totally fail to click for me and try as I can I don't see what the fuss is about.

Outrun has clicked for me in the last week. I went from seeing it as a boring, generic and wildly overhyped game to appreciating the fast pace, coastal atmosphere and great graphics about 4 days ago.

But hey, each to thier own.

Comment

I was told The Sentinel on the C64 was the best game ever. However it just confused the hell out of me.
                                yeah, i had that after the Zzap!64 -double gold medal- and no score review. I got it and i sat infront of the screen blinking as the whole concept was just way too difficult to get without any sort of tutorial. Once an adult sat and walked me through it , i got it though. One of my favourite games of all time in the end.

I never got Outrun - i don't think it's a bad game, but outside the tech of it i never really felt the love (for the original). Quite enjoyed C2C though

Killer Instinct was another game that baffled me. But i think Zelda is the big one - the N64 games - i just couldn't get into them at all. I tried and tried but it wasn't happening. I'm sure they are great games , but they just didn't click.

Comment

Working...
                                X