Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was playing Mr Nutz( a favourite of mine ) for the SNES yesterday. It's a very simple platformer - but.. it was made with a lot of skill, love and enthusiasm. The visuals are absolutely magnificent. Bold, bright, sharp and very attractive - there is a wonderful Disneyesque ambience to the game world. The sound is the icing on the cake - with catchy tunes and effective sfx.

Overall... it's a fantastic game, that offers good old fashioned platforming action. Ocean often published rubbish - but.. Mr Nutz is an example that it could also deliver excellence.

I also played the Mega Drive version through emulation - and I was happy to discover that it's just as good overall. The visuals are lacking a few colours and a bit of vibrancy - but the actual speed of the game is quicker. It's a must-have for the MD too.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-02-2009, 02:12.

Comment

I finally managed to complete Knightmare for the MSX a few days ago, after lots of attempts (the game almost made me weep with frustration a few times - literally).

It's just brutally hard, and feels unfair. But I made it through so I'm happy now.

Comment

Been playing a bit of Parasol stars for the gameboy and it's quite fun
        as well as motocross maniacs (which is pretty difficult!)

Comment

I remember having loads of fun with motocross maniacs, great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
            Been playing a bit of Parasol stars for the gameboy and it's quite fun
            as well as motocross maniacs (which is pretty difficult!)
            The GB version is tough, the GBC version is a bit easier, and the GBA version is much more easy going. I wouldn't bother with the plain GB version. Get the GBA edition - as it's an excellent game.

Comment

I am on a roll today. Bought R type DX after Ouenben reminded me of it in the other thread. Actually now that I think about it, I didn't need a boxed copy cos I already have a box knocking about from about ten years ago when the cartridge got nicked. Anyway, I was sucking ass at it and was stuck on level 4 of DX mode for a long time, then today I put it on on the train and 30 minutes later I managed to get all the way to level 10. That De Souza mode will be unlocked in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                The GB version is tough, the GBC version is a bit easier, and the GBA version is much more easy going. I wouldn't bother with the plain GB version. Get the GBA edition - as it's an excellent game.
                bah now you tell me! I bought it going off peoples reccomendations in the other gameboy thread.
                the cpu is a little cheating bastard, very similar to mario kart ai.

I've been playing game and watch gallery 2. Love it Can't wait till 3 gets here that was my fave. <3

Also been getting into Oracle of ages and playing a bit of F zero gp legend.

And had a go of rayman (GBC) it's pretty good, It's like a miniturized version of Rayman on PS1 but not a port so owning the GBA port is also reccomended.
                Last edited by Ouenben; 05-02-2009, 23:25.

Comment

Am playing Parodius. It's completely mad but very fun.

Comment

which one are you playing?

Comment

The PS1 version with Fantastic Journey.

Comment

I was playing Mr Nutz( a favourite of mine ) for the SNES yesterday. It's a very simple platformer - but.. it was made with a lot of skill, love and enthusiasm. The visuals are absolutely magnificent. Bold, bright, sharp and very attractive - there is a wonderful Disneyesque ambience to the game world. The sound is the icing on the cake - with catchy tunes and effective sfx.

Overall... it's a fantastic game, that offers good old fashioned platforming action. Ocean often published rubbish - but.. Mr Nutz is an example that it could also deliver excellence.

I also played the Mega Drive version through emulation - and I was happy to discover that it's just as good overall. The visuals are lacking a few colours and a bit of vibrancy - but the actual speed of the game is quicker. It's a must-have for the MD too.
                        I suggest you go play the Amiga version and then rewrite this
                        Youll find the MD/SNES version of Mr Nutz is absolutely terrible!

The Amiga version is a completely different game and a hell of a lot better

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
                          I suggest you go play the Amiga version and then rewrite this
                          Youll find the MD/SNES version of Mr Nutz is absolutely terrible!

The Amiga version is a completely different game and a hell of a lot better
                          How could I be convinced that it's a terrible game - when I've stated that I love it?

As I said, it's a very simple game, but.. looks fantastic and is enjoyable.

If the Amiga version really is amazingly good - then I might like it even more.

Mr Nutz isn't in the same league as Mario & Sonic - but compared to stuff like Bubsy.. it's excellent.

Edit: I looked at videos of the Amiga version. Looks Zoolesque, but better. In a way like Sonic, but not as fast. It is a completely different game from the console versions.

I also found a GBA version, which is the snes edition with horrible new music.

I think the SNES version is still an amazing game. Videos don't do it justice - as it's very attractive and the music catchy.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-02-2009, 03:52.

Comment

Gynoug for me this week. Damn I had forgotten how good a game it is. Loads of stuff onscreen, catchy soundtrack and loads of cool fx.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Gynoug for me this week. Damn I had forgotten how good a game it is. Loads of stuff onscreen, catchy soundtrack and loads of cool fx.
                              I love Gynoug. The soundtrack sticks in my head for weeks after playing it.

Been playing Alisia Dragoon just lately. I finished the game on normal difficulty setting a few weeks ago but i keep dying around halfway through Stage 6 on the Hard difficulty setting. Great game though

Comment

How could I be convinced that it's a terrible game - when I've stated that I love it?

As I said, it's a very simple game, but.. looks fantastic and is enjoyable.

If the Amiga version really is amazingly good - then I might like it even more.

Mr Nutz isn't in the same league as Mario & Sonic - but compared to stuff like Bubsy.. it's excellent.

Edit: I looked at videos of the Amiga version. Looks Zoolesque, but better. In a way like Sonic, but not as fast. It is a completely different game from the console versions.

I also found a GBA version, which is the snes edition with horrible new music.

I think the SNES version is still an amazing game. Videos don't do it justice - as it's very attractive and the music catchy.

Just trust me The Amiga version shadows the MD one is so many ways.
                                When I originally found out Mr Nutz was on the SNES/MD I was so excited, 'Finally a console version!'. I was very disapointed once it booted up.

Im not saying youre wrong. What I meant to say earlier was the SNES/MD one is terrible in comparision to the Amiga one. The music, graphics and gameplay are far superior. It even includes a very small Zelda style map/puzzles to get between levels.

But seriously, give it a whirl and let us know what you think!

Comment

Working...
                                X