Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Anyways, I'm playing Wario Land 4 and it's bloody brilliant. I don't know if a 7-year old GBA game classifies as 'retro' but this feels like a golden age SNES game and the use of shiny, solid-looking purples and yellows is well-intoxicating.
    It definitely does! I don't understand how people separate old games from true "retro" - it seems straightforward enough to me - if it's not current-gen, it's retro!

It's the same sort of madness that classifies the Dreamcast as part of the PS/N64 generation.

Comment

Just ended yesterday Final Fight Tough and Ganbare Goemon 2 SFC.
      Damn they were good for their time

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
        Actraiser 2 was designed by music maestro Yuzo Koshiro. Not good.
        I didn't know that. It's a shame that his talents didn't stretch to design. I recall the music in Actraiser2 also not being as good - so he must have lost the plot.

I was playing a great game on my GBA yesterday.

Motocross Maniacs

This games rocks big time. It's similar to the old 8-bit classic, Kikstart, except you race against rivals, and the visuals are extremely colourful and vibrant. Think of a racing game, mixed with a platformer such as Sonic, and you will have an idea how interesting it is.

It's actually a sequel to a series that appeared on the old GB & GBC, but... it's much much better. Probably my favourite GBA game.

Originally posted by Adol View Post
        Goemon2 is awesome. The original is good - but no2 is a lot better. I need to replay all the snes games - because they never fail to amaze me with their outstanding visuals and whacky atmosphere.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-12-2008, 16:29.

Comment

Been playing some Splatterhouse and a bit of Elevator Action II this week. Thinking of firing up a game of Toki now....for some weird reason, must be that football helmet.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
            Thinking of firing up a game of Toki now....for some weird reason, must be that football helmet.
            I need to play Toki - because I've really underappreciated it over the years, and haven't played it for ages. The Amiga conversion was good.

Comment

Played a bit of Sonic 2 (emulated via PicoDrive on the GP2X), what a good game!

Comment

I'm playing a lot on mame lately.

Both Killer Instincts. I always suck at those games but underneath is a good fighter. If I pull off a long combo it feels good. Arcade are the only good versions.

Gauntlet Legends. Not really full speed yet but like KI only Arcade version is good.

Comment

I played through the whole of Talespin on the MD and then Quackshot. Both rather difficult games indeed.

They're two of my "in bed with the flu" games.

Gary

Comment

I always thought the ghost that chases you was quite tricky in Quackshot.

Never played Talespin myself, any good like?

Comment

Originally posted by Adol View Post
                      I like Final Fight Tough very much, but Haggar looks ridiculous in his teh ghey green strippers uniform. The brown trousers that a carpentry teacher might wear to go down Do It All that he wore in the original were much cooler.

Comment

um - i started playing Devil Assault and Ninja Warrior on the CoCo/D32 emu on PSP.

Man that really does bring back old memories.

Comment

Ganbare Goemon 2 is my personal favourite Goemon although all the SNES incarnations are excellent.

All have their own individual idea's and styles

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                            The brown trousers that a carpentry teacher might wear to go down Do It All that he wore in the original were much cooler.
                            I think brown trousers were fashionable once. Probably in the 70s - when Haggar would have been strutting his stuff.

Comment

I've been caning 1080 (on VC) this week. Although that's fairly normal.

I've also been playing Last Ninja II VC which is hard as nails. Crazy hard. So many diagonals, that playing with a pad is tough. Might see if the hori pad makes it any easier, but could do with an old school joystick!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                I've been caning 1080 (on VC) this week. Although that's fairly normal.

I've also been playing Last Ninja II VC which is hard as nails. Crazy hard. So many diagonals, that playing with a pad is tough. Might see if the hori pad makes it any easier, but could do with an old school joystick!
                                I was given Last Ninja Remix for my Amiga as a kid - and I found it near impossible to play. Maybe I just didn't like the vibe of the game, but it did seem very tough. Most old British games are ridiculously unforgiving.

1080 is a classic. One of the few N64 games - that showed what the machine could do in the right hands. 1080, Wave Race, Pilotwings, bliss!

Comment

Working...
                                X