Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished Cosmo Police Galivan II: Arrow of Justice on the Super Famicom / SNES last week.
    Possibly the worst beat 'em up I've ever played on the SFC O_o

If you'd like, you can see the recorded playthrough here: YouTube Playlist.

I recorded it so other people don't have to waste their time playing it

ceno

Comment

Mercanery,Elite,Nebulus,Beyond The Ice Palace and Buggy Boy on Atari St,also still getting through various master system games like Land of illusion,lucky dime and Master of darkness

Comment

been giving pokemon puzzle challenge on gbc a bash, pretty decent puzzler if i do say so :-)

Comment

I played through Spider-Man: The Video Game (arcade) last night.

I've played through it before, but fancied another blast on it. I remember being impressed with the sprite resizing when swapping between the beat-em-up and platform sections, but I found the platform parts a bit of a chore this time and got a lot more out of the fighting sections.

I'm not sure about losing energy over time or when using your special moves though. Hawkeye loses energy just for firing his bow, Spider-Man for using his web etc.? I know it's just in the context of a game to stop you from abusing the special move, but it doesn't really make much sense.

I love the graphics on this, especially the chunky sprites in the fighting section and it's jam-packed with characters! I think my fave bit is at the start when the truck open up and Eddie Brock turns into Venom and then grows to a giant.

The soundtrack is a pretty funky number, featuring tracks previously used in Quartet.

"Spider-sense tingling!"

Comment

They did the same thing in a Wolverine game (on the NES, I think), where he takes damage from using his claws. That was extra ludicrous because Wolverine specfically has healing powers.

Comment

Restarted Pok?mon Blue yesterday, haven't played it since 1998. Someone from work found their Game Boy and Red, so a few of us are digging ours out or buying systems and games off eBay for lunchtime link battles at the weekends. Bit weird to go back to my GBC again, makes me wish I had a Game Boy Light.

Comment

That story brings a tear to my eye. Wish I knew even one person that played anything more than a week old. Resurrecting the whole original Pokemon experience is my dream. It's not quite the same replaying it by yourself (to say nothing of linking up multiple GameBoys to trade with yourself).

Comment

I never traded or battled back in 1998, as I was the only person I knew with Pok?mon- it was the first game I ever imported. These battles are long overdue! We're keeping each other updated on our progress and encouraging people to stay the course, so hopefully no-one will drop out.

I know what you mean, though- I whipped my GBC out on the Tube yesterday and got some deeply unimpressed looks and sniggers from a group of teenagers sitting opposite me. Can't really believe that some people actually look down on retro as uncool in 2012, as I thought we'd moved on from that a long time ago. I'm quite lucky to be working with people that still have very fond memories of what they used to play. I started playing FFVII last year and took screenshots for a Facebook album I was updating, as people wanted to be kept posted on my progress and wax nostalgic at the same time. Can't wait for the link cables to come out at lunchtime in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I recently played some rounds of WWF: In Your House on the Sega Saturn with some of my friends.
                    The game must be the worst ?Wrestling? Game out there ? but it's actually SO bad it's funny

So it's a nice enough party game after all
                    I also compiled our experience and emotions during gameplay into a little video:

Link to YouTube Video

The commentary's all in German, though, since I'm living in Germany. But I guess the overall confusion we encountered is still noticable.

ceno

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                      I know what you mean, though- I whipped my GBC out on the Tube yesterday and got some deeply unimpressed looks and sniggers from a group of teenagers sitting opposite me. Can't really believe that some people actually look down on retro as uncool in 2012, as I thought we'd moved on from that a long time ago.
                      That sums up the sorry state of public consumerism these days, if you don't have the latest version of something you can get looked down upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                        That sums up the sorry state of public consumerism these days, if you don't have the latest version of something you can get looked down upon.
                        I got some raised eyebrows when playing Mario Bros G&W on the tube the other day. I guess G&W must be considered 'cool' retro, whereas GBC is not...

Comment

Originally posted by cenobite View Post
                          I recently played some rounds of WWF: In Your House on the Sega Saturn with some of my friends.
                          The game must be the worst ?Wrestling? Game out there ? but it's actually SO bad it's funny

So it's a nice enough party game after all

I also compiled our experience and emotions during gameplay into a little video:

Link to YouTube Video

The commentary's all in German, though, since I'm living in Germany. But I guess the overall confusion we encountered is still noticable.

ceno
                          Game looks amazing, will track it down if I remember.

Comment

Halls Of The Things (Zx Spectrum),Carrier Command,Zynaps and Vindicators (Atari St),Starship Command and Snapper (Acorn BBC)

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
                              It's certainly up there isn't it? I think a lot of the games from that last part of the snes' life were pretty amazing looking. romancing saga 3, star ocean, tenchi sozo/terranigma, bahamut lagoon and rudra no hiho are all brilliant looking games. My personal favourite looking snes game ever has to be yoshi's island though. nothing really beats that for art direction.
                              Could we talk about translations patches? What are the best translation patches for the games mentioned?
                              SD3, Romancing saga 3, Star ocean, Tenchi Sozo/Terranigma, Bahamut Lagoon and Rudra no Hiho.

Ta

Comment

Had a full play through of Metal Slug X on the NEO today, just utterly, utterly brilliant. The sheer detail of the Slug games is a joy to behold, they're just so utterly gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                                X