Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games everyone hates, but you lurrrrrvvve!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the whole world should know the twisted tale behind this.

Comment

Just a little bump and confession as of recent.

I still really enjoy Felony 11-79 on the PS1. I know the collision, mechanics and physics in the game are completely screwed up, but there is something great about smashing up everything in your path.

Comment

I dunno if 'hate' is the right word, I think everyone just assumes it's going to be dire, but Power Rangers: The Movie on the MegaDrive is actually a really well done SoR clone. I have positive memories of playing the game with my brother.

It's flawed, the voice samples are diabolical, the sound effects tarnish the actually decent music, and the characters aren't brimming with frames of animation, but it's extremely playable. As long as you don't go expecting it to be stunning, it's top fun. The actual framerate is much better than the YouTube video shows, too.

Another vote for Blue Stinger too, it's just such a uniquely charming game, extremelt tounge-in-cheek, the inplementation of a psudo-horror game within a Christmas setting is just awesome I've only played the Japanese version, mind.

Comment

Blue Stinger? tis ok in my book.
          I also like D2, a lot. One of my fave DC games really.

Zombie Revenge is another game I couldn't put down, each time getting that little further with the limited lives you had.

Comment

have to say i really liked xmen mutant academy 2 for the psone

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
              Blue Stinger? tis ok in my book.
              I also like D2, a lot. One of my fave DC games really.

Zombie Revenge is another game I couldn't put down, each time getting that little further with the limited lives you had.

I loved Zombie Revenge so much that I almost thought there must be something wrong with me. Every magazine and web site slated it but for me it was one of the best 3D side scrollers of the time and it's only since the likes of God of War and Devil May Cry 3 that it's been beaten.

Was D2 ever translated from Japanese?

Comment

^I think D2 came out in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
                  Just a little bump and confession as of recent.

I still really enjoy Felony 11-79 on the PS1. I know the collision, mechanics and physics in the game are completely screwed up, but there is something great about smashing up everything in your path.
                  No need to be ashamed of liking Runabout in any way whatsoever.

Amazingly fun game, one of the very best PS1 racer-type games (in my humble opinion). Midas released the PS1 sequel on budget in 2003, even though it's been out in Japan for a few years by then, and it's possibly even better than the first. Pity the series had its guts ripped apart by the shoddy, ****fest PS2 incarnation.

Comment

What about S.C.A.R.S for the N64 most reviews slated it and said it was rubbish i liked all the different animals and different weapons and challenges , i liked it so much i completed it
                    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by MisterBubbles; 04-05-2009, 22:57.

Comment

I loved Bimini Run on the MD and that got absolutely murdered in reviews. Even I could see that it was a poor, repetitive piece of rubbish, but I just couldn't stop playing.

Comment

I love Centurion: The Defender of Rome for the Megadrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          SEGA 2002/Online - For me the best racer of last gen , and the only X-Box game to come close to PD car models
                          At last someone else who likes Sega GT 2002! Fantastic game. The odd thing about it is that I really didn't enjoy it at all the first time I tried it. Soggy handling, murky graphics - nah. So I put it away, only to rediscover it quite a while later... and with a vengeance. I became obsessed with it to the point that I set out to get every car in the game at full spec. It took me a while, but I did it.

I also really loved Need For Speed Underground 2, which I just happened to stumble upon by accident. I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole otherwise. People usually dismiss it as mainstream crap for the uninformed, and maybe it is... but it's still great. I'm not generally a fan of pimped-out tuner styling. At all. But for some reason, it really works here. The fact that the game forces you to do it to proceed somehow works in its favour. This works together with the way that the game handles car ownership - you can't just buy every car in the game by grinding races over and over again, you have to make a choice. Your car represents both an emotional and an (in-game) financial investment, it really becomes your pride and joy. And the open world thing is also fantastic. I usually play my games in a very goal-oriented way, but in NFSU2 I often simply cruised around the city, just for the sake of it. Maybe looking for some hidden shops, maybe getting to know the map, maybe just driving with no particular place to go. Sure, the streets weren't exactly teeming with activity, but the nighttime setting made it believable anyway.

But all of this applies to NFSU2 and NFSU2 only. The first NFSU game (which I played afterwards, in the hope of getting more of the same but with another set of cars and races) felt half-finished at best and left me cold. And NFS: Most Wanted took away all the fantastically anal car customization and replaced it with a much cruder and less enjoyable system. It also destroyed the open world cruising entirely by adding police, thus more or less forcing you to use menu shortcuts instead of driving from place to place. It was a real disappointment. I gave up the series entirely after that.

For some reason that I'm not entirely sure of, I also found R: Racing to be quite enjoyable. Not superb, but certainly not as poor as most reviews made it out to be.

And for some other reason that I'm also not entirely sure of, I can't really see what's so great about the Gran Turismo series. Theoretically, I should love it, but there's something about it that just feels slightly off. Slightly... sterile? I don't know.

Comment

Operation Winback for me, and Sega Rally Revo.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                              I loved Bimini Run on the MD and that got absolutely murdered in reviews. Even I could see that it was a poor, repetitive piece of rubbish, but I just couldn't stop playing.
                              I think you've just made Baseley's day.

What the hell is a Bimini anyway??

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                                What the hell is a Bimini anyway??
                                From Wikipedia:

/ˈbɪmɨni/ is the westernmost district of the Bahamas composed of a chain of islands located about 53 miles (81 km) due east of Miami, Florida. Bimini is the closest point in the Bahamas to the mainland United States and approximately 137 miles (209 km) west-northwest of Nassau.

And here I was all these years thinking it was another Jap to Engrish slip-up.

Comment

Working...
                                X