Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what Videogames/toys did you grow up with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im 23 so some of the toys shown here I really dont recognise...
    For me though, this is what kept me quiet

Comment

I remember having these, no idea where they've gone now though

Still have this:

Keep forgetting to take it to a watch shop to change the batteries though.

Comment

[quote=NemesiS;1532634]
        The Six Million Dollar Man: I had all this. Oscar Goldman, Steve Austin, Sasquatch etc. Loved it. Was much better then Action Man who i always thought was a bit of tool.

God,I had one of those.If i remember correctly you could look through his Bionic Eye which was made of glass, so everything looked bigger.

Happy times

Comment

^ I had one of those as well that I inherited from my cousin! I also had a cool metal Star Trek Enterprise that you could fire wee yellow discs out of.

Comment

I'm a 44 year-old git so:
            Zeroids, Billy Blastoff, Major Matt Mason, Gerry Anderson die-cast Dinky toys, LOTS of Action Man stuff, Airfix kits and Evel Kinevel and yes I did have a Chopper bike. Marvel comics was my thing in the 70s, I was obsessed with them. My first video game was the orange Binatone pong thing (with light gun!) but I eventually went through all of them once the 80s started rolling.

I cut the lawn today. The smell just took me right back to the summer of '76, sitting out in the garden with my big comics box, swapping with mates and trying to draw my own.

Comment

Is no one gonna mention pogs, or was cardboard not invented when you were kids?

Comment

I'm 32 this year & for me I spent my yoof playing with toys mostly like...

Transformers
                MASK
                Action Force/G.I. Joe (Sooooooo many huge battles in our garden between me & my mates that lasted whole days sometimes )
                Thundercats
                Gobots
                Return of the Jedi (too young to really get into Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back)
                Subbutteo (Used to run our own leagues & play every Saturday afternoon...just like real football)
                Ring Raiders (wish I could get these cartoons again...miss them so much)
                Visionaires
                Centurions (Damn these toys were soooo cool)

As for video games my first real taste was about 1980 ish when my dad had a Comodore Vic 20 & i played on that

From there we got a Spectrum 48k (Plastic Keyboard) & I started getting hooked.
                That stayed with me for a few years until I upgraded to a Spectrum +2 & then the gaming bug bit bad & I bought more games than I could ever hope to play.
                Robocop & Batman: The movie being about my best 2 games ever on the system, closely followed by Airborne Ranger, Narc, Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja, Crackdown & the Vigilante series of games.

After that I moved onto my first Console...Sega Master system & remember that christmas oh so well.
                Spent most of the day playing Transbot, Pro Wrestling & California games (Which is probably the greatest MS game ever IMO)
                My stand out title that I had other than California games would have to be RC Pro Am I loved that SO much simply awesome game & the constant ability to upgrade the RC cars was great.

Then the following year I got my hands on a NES Turtles pack with Robocop & the Master System was promptly sold to fund the NES purchases.
                To be honest I dont know why I bothered...it's probably my most forgetful machine ever & I can only name about 5 games I ever owned on it.
                Should have stuck with the MS I think in hindsight.

After that I moved away from conole gaming for a couple of years & got into my Atari ST gaming & my brothers Amiga.
                Spent many many hours toiling away on classics like Robocop 3, SWOS, Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Frontier: Elite 2, Wing Commander, Championship Manager

Then I came back to the console fold when my brother got his Megadrive with Strider & Altered beast & I never really looked back from there I was a console gamer again & have pretty much stayed that way ever since.
                Standouts for me then would have been: Strider, Gynoug, E-Swat, Sonic, Castle of illusion, Aladin, Joe Montana Sports Talk Football, Lakers Vs Celtics, Dick Tracy, Batman: The Movie...the list just goes on & on & on

Then came my SNES I remember the day I got that so well...was the day after Freddie Mercury's tribute concert.
                Cleared out my Savings account & went to Toys R Us to get my Mario World pack & I was soooo broke for so long after that I had no choice but to play it solidly until I saved enough to buy another game.
                I still think this is my most important machine to date & gave me some of my greatest gaming memories so many classics that still stand up better than most games today.
                My faves being: Castlevania IV, Contra III, Axelay, Turtles in Time, Smash TV, Tiny Toons Adventures, Adventures of Batman & Robin, Super Star Wars, UN Squadron this another endless list

After that I stayed a SNES/MD gamer until the PAL release of the Playstation when we traded my brothers MD & 6 games into a local independent & got £150 off the Playstation...which was a great deal I thought & thats how it went we stuck with the PS1 until I turned 21 in 1998 & my brother brought me a second hand Sega Saturn from Crime Convertors which I got modded for Jpn & 60Hz straight away & from there it gets pretty boring & obvious...

Bought an N64, moved onto a PS2, got a Gamecube, bought an X-Box then we come upto modern day totally.

I've left out a few things mostly my Gameboy which slotted in somewhere but for the lofe of me cant remember & also my PC-Engine which I think came in about around 1993 when I was in Sixth Form at school but the time frame escapes me really.

God what I wouldnt give to go back now & relieve it all first hand again...gaming just isnt the same anymore, too much emphisis on flashy graphics & million+ hgours gameplay I want simple fun quick gaming back again, this new fangled stuff sucks bum.

Neil

Comment

I'm 23.. When I was a child I was obsessed with Ghostbusters, I think I had all the toys available. I was into action figures in general, so I had many from other movies/shows as well. My first video game system was the Sega Master System II. I used to play on that and on my PC until I got a Nintendo 64. It was the N64 that got me into gaming properly.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                    Is no one gonna mention pogs, or was cardboard not invented when you were kids?
                    Ill join you on this one Sorrell!

The though of all the money spent on those cardboard discs now is upsetting! As great as it was for a few weeks, that fad died off quick in our school.

Comment

I lost most of mine to this stupid rich kid on my street, or got them wrecked by some tit with a metal 'shredder' slammer he bought on holiday in Spain. I couldn't afford the official ones either, so I always had dodgy knock off ones from down the market that didn't even have the image centred properly

Comment

What a beautiful thread. I had so many electronics, I'd save all my pocket money and when I had enough my Mummy and me would go to Woolworths (R.I.P) and I'd chose an electronic. My favourite was Caveman, although I had to turn it off as the adaptor overheated, as I could play it for hours without dying.

I noticed in the original post your grandstand pac-man was pac-man..mine was munchman. I got that one for Christmas once and put the rest of my Christmas money towards Firefox.

Astrowars, Scramble, Donkey Kong, Game and watches including the original 'fire' game and watch which I was lucky to get off an uncle (brother got 'juggler') which real name is 'ball' we called it juggler.

Board games such as connect 4, frustration, scrabble, chess, draughs, bukaroo, test match! subbeteo (board mounted) pool tables, many many of them.

We had an original pong and atari, even a plug in bike game.

Also noticed the plastic wind up games..they were fantastic..so noisy!

Scarlextrix!

Loads and loads more, had a great childhood, wonderful parents thankfully.

Comment

Race and Chase

Operation

Comment

Too poor to afford many of the popular toys other kids had when i was growing up but i remember having.

Pocketeers
                            cheap ball bearing style games, there were literally tons of the things

Capsella
                            A very cool toy thats still going today, a modular construction set that had clip together pods that allowed you to build moving machines.

Comment

Working...
                            X