X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh that pc demo/game .krieger

that was amazing

Comment

X on gameboy. Still have no idea of what i'm supposed to be doing cos I couldn't be bothered to read the instructions. reminds me of mercenary on c64.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        [B]

And a cheeky wee shout for Saturn Layer Section - First end of level boss. Loads of proper transparencies. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it PlayStation fanboys!
        To be fair though many Saturn 2D games had those effects , not least Astal. I was when the Saturn had to use transparencies over 3D polygon models it had some serious trouble.

Few more for me

Grandia Saturn - The FMV was stunning for a Saturn game , and the In-game fly over at the start , made my jaw drop , still does to this day , and the VDP II water effects and misting effects pissed all over the PS version .

X-Men Children of the Atom Saturn - How the Hell Capcom got all those multi changing backrounds into the Saturn ram I'll never know , more so for the control room stage , Plus again the Saturn 2d might pissed all over the PS version

Pulstar - Still amazes me the Neo Geo was able to handle this

GunBlade Ny Arcade- How on earth AM#3 got the game to look like it was pushing Model 3 to its limits , never mind a Model 2 game, I'll never know .

Daytona USA CE - Ok the game wasn't that great , but it was still a great demo of the Saturn true grunt , more so as the CS Team weren't really able to use the VDP II trick for flat backrounds and floors , and had to use the full polygon pushing power of the Saturn . I don't any 32bit game came close to having 40 cars on track , while running at 30 fps.

Last Bronx Saturn - For me this game looked more impressive than VF II, much better parallax scrolling multi layered backgrounds, Fighters that were near enough Arcade perfect , and jaw dropping effects on the Ceilings, thanks to brilliant use of the VDP II, oh and it even sounded way better than VF II (effects wise)

VF Saturn - The Sound effects , to this day the most bone crushing ever heard in a video game fighter .

Panzer Dragoon Orta X-Box - Looks almost as Good as most 360 games , and the bump mapping effects used on the 2nd Ep Boss and the animation used on the 3rd Ep Boss to this day , look incredible

Dead or Alive Ultimate XBox - That brilliant effect used to redraw the screen and stage on the last boss , was just mind blowing at the time . And speaking of Team Ninja , what they did with Saturn DOA and X-Box Ninja Gaiden took the royal piss too

Comment

This isn't one singular game, but I think what some developers did with the MegaCD hardware was very impressive, didn't realise there were so many 3D games (even if they weren't 'proper 3D').

Also, while it's probably not actually that much of a technical achievement, I always felt warm and fuzzy playing Street Fighter Zero 3 on the Saturn. It was the best home port until the PS2 package, wasn't it?

Comment

Isn't that L from death note in Cliffhanger?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              The PCE has impressed me over the years. At one point I never gave the PCE much credit in the specs department as most games are worse looking than MD games, never mind SNES games. Some look barely much better than NES games ffs. So when I saw SF2:CE running on the machine with better graphics and sound than the SNES/MD versions I was pretty f*cking amazed.
              Whilst I agree about SFII:CE on PCE being a great technical achievement, to say that it looked and sounded better than the SNES and MD versions is going quite over the top, tbh.

At very best, it (just about) drew level with the SNES & MD versions in terms of looks. Sound-wise, it was awful - a tell-tale sign that the PCE's 8-bit architecture was over-achieving on a massive scale.

Comment

Agree with Andromeda on Orta.

Shadow of the beast on the Amiga. I was into Copepr and Blitter coding on the Amiga at the time - ahh the joys of 68000 assembly language - and I thought I was pretty good but the levels of parallax they had in that game blew me away.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  Whilst I agree about SFII:CE on PCE being a great technical achievement, to say that it looked and sounded better than the SNES and MD versions is going quite over the top, tbh.

At very best, it (just about) drew level with the SNES & MD versions in terms of looks. Sound-wise, it was awful - a tell-tale sign that the PCE's 8-bit architecture was over-achieving on a massive scale.

Yup I agree. The sound on the PC Engine version is pretty poor in places, but still impressive considering the machine it's running on. The graphics are lovely though.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                    Isn't that L from death note in Cliffhanger?
                    Hahahah nice observation!

How about some off the Virtual Boy games in this thread? Id say Red Alarm is quite possibly the most advanced thing on the system and so addictive.

That kid is probably blind now... But probably doesnt care as his pockets were lined for that lovely commerical!

Better view of the game:

Its needs to be played really as it appears there are no decent videos of Virtual Boy games online...

Comment

From a technical point of view I always thought Soul Reaver on the Playstation was an incredible acheivement, large environments being streamed from the disc cutting down on load times, a huge polygon count and amazing textures for a 32bit game, I remember thinking the Dreamcast version didn't look that much better.

Also Gran Turismo was stunning, I remember playing V-Rally and thinking that looked good but never thought the level of realism that Gran Turismo brought was possible at the time, just an amazing acheivement both graphically and for the amount of content they managed to squeeze onto a single disc.

Comment

Bit of an obvious one but Radiant Silvergun. I don't know how it was achieved or what was going on under the hood of my humble Saturn but this was and still is stunningly beautiful. The way it twists and shimmers ... there's still nothing that looks quite like it.

Comment

The 'fmv' intro on Puggsy on the MD always impressed me at the time. I don't really want to see it again though, as I'm sure it won't seem nearly as good now as it did then.

Comment

Working...
                          X