Essential PlayStation Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
    I still haven't opened mine yet. Worth playing or sell and run away to Vegas?
    same here, i havent managed to get to open any of my more recent PS2 shooters

Comment

We'll both sell ours, leg it to Vegas and get married by a Transexual Elvis. Win win win.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
        We'll both sell ours, leg it to Vegas and get married by a Transexual Elvis. Win win win.
        as long as Soundwave doesnt invite himself </other forum joke>

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          same here, i havent managed to get to open any of my more recent PS2 shooters
          *Awaits Jason to put it up for ?400*
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            *Awaits Jason to put it up for &#163;400*
            there is only one of us who overprices his shooters <cat>

not wanting to derail the thread any further, i kinda enjoy the following:

PSone
            Harmful Park
            In The Hunt
            Layer Section
            Souky
            more or less any Cotton or Darius game

Pstwo
            Dodonpachi (which you have)
            Mushihimesama (i like it, not played it in the arcades)
            Psyvariar: Ultimate final and complete capture box
            Espgaluda
            Raiden 3
            XII stag
            Last edited by buster_broon; 17-08-2009, 21:23.

Comment

Meeeeeeeeow!

Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                as long as Soundwave doesnt invite himself </other forum joke>

Comment

Eeerm no ones said Ray Storm, one of the greatest.

Silpheed Lost Planet is cool on PS2 also.

Comment

Slipheed? Really Base? In the hunt, is good one, mite pick up Gunbird 2 not sure its essential tho, i like it. Is it worth getting the Strikers 1945 double pack? I remember hearing that the ps2 version of Strikers II is better on the ps1 for some reason? Is Strikers part one any good?

Comment

I concur that IBARA and Mushihimesama are non-essential. They would be if you could see what the **** is going on, but you can't because the graphics are so blurry and poorly-defined.
                      Of the two though, Mushi is probably the most playable. The Arrange mode is pretty awesome.

I'd say that in Gradius V, DDP DOJ & EspGaluda, you already have the essential PS2 shooters and the rest can be considered luxuries. Those are surely the three I'd keep if I had a clearout.

PS-wise, I think Harmful Park is a bit overrated tbh but a decent shout if you've never played it before. Either R-Type Delta or Gradius Gaiden are more essential, and much cheaper though. Its worth noting that you'll need a real PlayStation to run Gaiden perfectly since one of the levels runs slow on a PS2...

Is it worth getting the Strikers 1945 double pack?
                      Nope, bit of a poor package really and the Gunbird one is the same. The older individual ports are better.

GigaWing Generations is terrible and should also be avoided. It only runs at 30fps (at best) which is absolutely unthinkable for a shmup.

My advice: Just avoid buying the lesser games and get a Dreamcast with the money instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post

My advice: Just avoid buying the lesser games and get a Saturn with the money instead.
                        Edited for you lol

Dan you have a PM incoming.

Neil

Comment

Can't believe nobody has even mentioned this

Im not normally one for a lot of shooters but after 10 mins playing this at my mates i wanted to own it for myself.
                          Last edited by importaku; 18-08-2009, 09:41.

Comment

As far as PS1 shooters go my favourites are G-Darius & Gaia Seed

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
                              I concur that IBARA and Mushihimesama are non-essential. They would be if you could see what the **** is going on, but you can't because the graphics are so blurry and poorly-defined.
                              Of the two though, Mushi is probably the most playable. The Arrange mode is pretty awesome.

I'd say that in Gradius V, DDP DOJ & EspGaluda, you already have the essential PS2 shooters and the rest can be considered luxuries. Those are surely the three I'd keep if I had a clearout.

PS-wise, I think Harmful Park is a bit overrated tbh but a decent shout if you've never played it before. Either R-Type Delta or Gradius Gaiden are more essential, and much cheaper though. Its worth noting that you'll need a real PlayStation to run Gaiden perfectly since one of the levels runs slow on a PS2...

Nope, bit of a poor package really and the Gunbird one is the same. The older individual ports are better.

GigaWing Generations is terrible and should also be avoided. It only runs at 30fps (at best) which is absolutely unthinkable for a shmup.

My advice: Just avoid buying the lesser games and get a Dreamcast with the money instead.
                              You are right John they aren't the best ports, but played on a CRT tv in tate position i still think they are perfectly playable home versions of two great shoot em' ups, i know if it was me i'd rather play the ports than not play either at all

Ibara arrange is mint too!

James

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                                Slipheed? Really Base?
                                I'm not sure if your ripping my choices heh, but I like my shooters to be cinematic over a million bullet shooty, Silpheed looks great and the FMV is amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X