No announcement yet.

would you class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

None of them are retro. They might be outdated, technically, but the games on them don't have a retro feel. They're just like the ones being released today, albeit (mostly) worse-looking. The controllers are similar to what we have now and even the Dreamcast was online-enabled. You have to go farther back for a proper retro experience.

Case in point - some of the Cube's key games were thought modern enough to be re-released with a different control scheme tacked-on.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
      For me, a console becomes retro when the type of games it has as it's mainstay aren't fashionable or in great demand anymore.

For example, the Mega Drive was characterised by 2D platformers like Sonic, scrolling fighters like Streets of Rage and traditional shooters like Truxton. Once the PS1 took off those genres fell by the way side and the Mega Drive (along with the SNES, Neo Geo, PC Engine etc.) became retro.

The games that you typically find on the PS2 are still hugely popular today. Games like GTA, Resident Evil and Call of Duty still sell really well and are every bit as mainstream on the PS3/360 as they were on the last gen.

I realise that this is not a hard science and there are exceptions (sports games, in particular, transcend generational boundaries) but the bulk of the games available for the PS2 are too similar to those available today and for that reason I can't class it as retro.
      I concur! The likes of the PS2, GC and DC certainly do not feel retro to me.

Comment

You can't say something isn't retro, just because the graphics still look nice. The fact is a lot of 128-bit games won't age. MonkeyBall on the GC won't ever look archaic. ViewtifulJoe won't. I still think Rallisport looks nice.

The Dreamcast ushered in a new era of home 3D games that look easy on the eye. There are plenty of games for the DC, GC, PS2, Xbox, that will always look reasonably attractive.

That generation has to be retro at some point. I'd say the time is now, or very soon. When 2010 arrives, I will definitely have no problem with calling the 128-bit generation retro.

Comment

Working...
        X