Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
    Jaguar

Tempest 2000. The flagship game that was on constantly at the booth in Telegames.

Awesome music, fantastic visuals and gameplay to die for.

Plays as well today as it did a decade ago.
    Yeppers! Just bought my third Jag and a copy of this to play again... plus splurging on a Nuon and T3K!

Comment

I think some peeps are missing the point a bit. It's not about what game captured your interest in the system early on, but what title would you put on display for someone to show what that console could do at it's very best. I absolutely love the first WipEout, but it's not a showcase title, since the graphics are ropey and it has very unforgiving gameplay.

One Dreamcast game that doesn't get enough mention is Looney Tunes Space Race. Melbourne House, the devs, are super talented, and they always managed to make amazing things with the hardware they worked on. Space Race was no exception. Absolutely gorgeous graphics with amazing detail. Many a race I cocked up because I got caught watching something happening in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Certainly F1GP from a technical standpoint but for silky smooth polygons you can't beat a bit of No Second Prize. It only used a couple of disks too IIRC, unlike F1GP. It had lovely analogue control using the mouse too.

That's very impressive for an Amiga game.

Originally posted by nem View Post
        I think some peeps are missing the point a bit. It's not about what game captured your interest in the system early on, but what title would you put on display for someone to show what that console could do at it's very best. I absolutely love the first WipEout, but it's not a showcase title, since the graphics are ropey and it has very unforgiving gameplay.
        My initial list was made up of games I'd use these days to show what a machine can do. I agree that some people are choosing games they thought were impressive back in the day. That's the way this thread has gone.

I didn't pick a PS1 game, because I couldn't think of any that look nice now. Maybe Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload? ... 2D stands the test of time better. I would probably go for RidgeRacer4.

Comment

Yeah if you look at my list, its mainly compiled of game i think showcase the machine but for some reason i popped Wipeout in thinking it as an early showcase! Although i still think the original Wipeout looks fantastic and had a lovely solid feel to it.

So for PS1 i think Vagrant Story is very impressive. The opening sections are magnificent. Amazing graphics mixed with pounding sounds. Also Ridge Racer 4 looks lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            Yeah if you look at my list, its mainly compiled of game i think showcase the machine but for some reason i popped Wipeout in thinking it as an early showcase! Although i still think the original Wipeout looks fantastic and had a lovely solid feel to it.

So for PS1 i think Vagrant Story is very impressive. The opening sections are magnificent. Amazing graphics mixed with pounding sounds. Also Ridge Racer 4 looks lovely.
            I remember playing Wipeout3 on the PS1 a couple of years back and thinking it looked reasonably nice still. Maybe I was tired?

RidgeRacer4 definitely looks quite nice still. It really is hard to think of a 3D 32-bit game that people would think looks nice these days.

Comment

soul calibur on dc of course

perhaps MSR too - hyped to the max and was goregous to look at

Comment

A lot of PS1 stuff in 3D looks really wobbly now!! Im playing Final Fantasy 9 at the moment and that looks fantastic, great animation and detailed backgrounds. Perhaps that should be showcase!

Wipeout 3 does look great but its virtually displayed in black and white its so dull in colour!

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                I remember playing Wipeout3 on the PS1 a couple of years back and thinking it looked reasonably nice still. Maybe I was tired?

RidgeRacer4 definitely looks quite nice still. It really is hard to think of a 3D 32-bit game that people would think looks nice these days.

Comment

A lot of PS1 stuff in 3D looks really wobbly now!! Im playing Final Fantasy 9 at the moment and that looks fantastic, great animation and detailed backgrounds. Perhaps that should be showcase!

Wipeout 3 does look great but its virtually displayed in black and white its so dull in colour!
                  Yep.. let's forget about Wipeout. ... I don't like the series much. F-Zero all the way.

I will go with Ridge Racer4.

Originally posted by nightstalker100 View Post
                  soul calibur on dc of course

perhaps MSR too - hyped to the max and was goregous to look at
                  MSR is a good showcase of the DC's abilities. I really liked it, even though.. I think Bizarre aren't the best when it comes to creating fun gameplay. There has always been something a bit cold about the way they design their games. MSR, at least looks warmer and more colourful that the very bleak PGR4.

Comment

I hated MSR. Funnily enough left me cold.

Comment

I absolutely loved it. And stuff like that usually bores me too, but even the sequels couldn't match it's sense of control and the beautiful cornering physics they put into that game.

To it's credit, Wip3out's washed-out colour scheme was an intentional, minimalistic change of style from the more garish colours of 1 & 2097. It's my favourite of the series, definitely. I really liked it, and it still moves very nicely these days too.

Comment

Originally posted by muddy View Post
                        Yeppers! Just bought my third Jag and a copy of this to play again... plus splurging on a Nuon and T3K!
                        yep, Tempest2000 is exellent, I was very close on buying a Nuon a few years ago, but at the last minute the guy that should sell it to me backed out of it...
                        now I have Temest3000 and 2 Nuon controllers lying home and never have been able to witness the beauty of Tempest3000...

Oh well, I hope soon some sort of Nuon emu will be made so I can run Tempest3000 on my PC

Comment

I hated MSR. Funnily enough left me cold.
                          Seconded, I thought MSR was garbage. Particularly on a system with so many beautiful and fun arcade racers. Daytona for one was leagues ahead of that Eurotrash approach to racing games.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
                            To it's credit, Wip3out's washed-out colour scheme was an intentional, minimalistic change of style from the more garish colours of 1 & 2097. It's my favourite of the series, definitely. I really liked it, and it still moves very nicely these days too.
                            It has a lovely solid feel, craft also control well but the craft sounds are very poor. Also the music wasnt great. The whole game left me feeling very hollow. I was so disappointed with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X