Why do people love Shenmue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people love Shenmue?

Ok people I am a Shenmue hater. I do not hate the DC at all or Sega for that matter but the love for this game is beyond me. It was a terrible game, it had awful control, woodman like fighting I remember being very unresponsive.
    General gameplay was fiddly, even running was a pain.
    I can see what Sega tried to do and I do applaud that but it was miles too soon and overall the execution was poor but the if im honest for me Sega were technically a poor company certainly on the DC.

I am not trying to start a war though I feel it may annoy Sega fans but I cannot see why this game has so much love.

Tell me.

This does sound like a thread that wants to start a fight... and I'm taking the bait

I loved Shenmue because, and it was primarily this reason that I loved it so much, because of it's pace.

It was the perfect bedtime game. I played it for a bit, did what I wanted, talked to who I wanted, worked when I needed to, played around in the arcade and when I happened upon some information that helped me in the main story I followed it - if I had time that evening.

It was, for me (and by that I mean quite obviously that this is my personal opinion - and you are free to have your own of course!) one of the greatest games of all time.

When I recently sold my Dreamcast (which I now regret) I couldn't part with Shenmue or Shenmue 2 - and kept my version that is signed by Yu Suzuki. This was one truely special game.

Comment

It's dangerous to go alone.
      Take this...

Comment

I liked it because it seemed very japanese and had good graphics in colour. I got sucked into the whole revenge plot very easily too.

Comment

Invisiblekid im disappointed! You didnt really take the bait, you just posted a fair response albeit one i dont agree with!!
          I just could not see the appeal myself but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            I can see what Sega tried to do and I do applaud that but it was miles too soon and overall the execution was poor but the if im honest for me Sega were technically a poor company certainly on the DC.
            I don't think you're constructing your argument well!

Comment

It was a terrible game
              Come on, man, what absolute bilge you're spouting!!!!

it had awful control
              You do have a point there, though.

General gameplay was fiddly, even running was a pain.
              Have to agree with that, also.

Sega were technically a poor company certainly on the DC.
              Ferrari F355, HOTD2, Zombie Revenge, Daytona, Skies Of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, even bleeding Confidential Mission. All technically brilliant. Such a spurious allegation shall be thrown out of court!

But, yeah, I do think the control issues detract from the game - at least initially - and to savour the experience properly, you need to have the patience to abide the game's flaws and limitiations.

Many did have the patience (I'm one of them), and they consider it one of the greatest gaming experiences of recent times.

But not ALL did, and Shenmue is no sacred cow, and I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear it get a thorough, scabrous, unbridled slagging.

Comment

OK perhaps that last statement was lacking in a little thought. I was thinking more the conversions of Sega Rally 2, Sonic Adventure was a bit of a mess also and a few others.
                F355 was mint, PSO also a lush title so I will retract that one.
                With the DC itself though my memories of it are of many rough unfinished feeling titles among the great titles.

Shenmue I just couldnt get. Certainly at my time of playing I was surrounded by Sega fanboys slagging everything off not on the DC which did grate. But I just didnt enjoy a single second of the game.
                Last edited by nakamura; 14-10-2009, 21:49.

Comment

I really really really hate Shenmue.

Comment

I'm a Sega diehard but have to admit for all its technical accomplishments Shenmue was dull. As in makes Bioshock look good dull.

Comment

Did you not like Bioshock?

Comment

I loved Shenmue. I was so engrossed in it that I got up to go to the toilet during one of my play sessions and jumped when I saw my reflection in the bathroom mirror- I was expecting to see Ryo, not me. It became the perfect game to just pass the time of day in, taking part in a life in Japan that seemed very far removed from my own. I loved all of the little touches that brought it to life, especially in Dobuita at night.

With that said, I never finished the second one. A friend of mine is "encouraging" me to finish it before Christmas or he'll spoil the end for me, so I recently went back to the first one for a little walk around and I was appalled with the d-pad being used for movement on a pad that has an analogue stick. Modern games have spoilt me.

Comment

OK perhaps that last statement was lacking in a little thought. I was thinking more the conversions of Sega Rally 2, Sonic Adventure was a bit of a mess also and a few others.
                          F355 was mint, PSO also a lush title so I will retract that one.
                          With the DC itself though my memories of it are of many rough unfinished feeling titles among the great titles.

Shenmue I just couldnt get. Certainly at my time of playing I was surrounded by Sega fanboys slagging everything off not on the DC which did grate. But I just didnt enjoy a single second of the game.
                          Although I see the faults as clear as day, I class Shenmue and Sonic Adventure as some of the best games on the Dreamcast.

Sonic Adventure is an underated classic, it's exotic locations, memorable set peices and wonderful level design far outweigh its issues. Shenmue likewise, has control issues and a stilted script but the atmosphere, story and characters made a far bigger impression that any niggles.

Also you mention about being grated down by fanboys at the time. How about you go back to it later with a fresh set of eyes and try it again? One would assume you're 10 years older so you should not have to put up with some nausating children any more and play what you want!

If that's not Shenmue, then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            One would assume you're 10 years older so you should not have to put up with some nausating children any more
                            Aside from the ones in the game. "Hey mister! Wanna wrestle?"

Comment

At the time of release Shenmue's stiff controls and were much easier to stomache, simply becuase back then it was the norm for computer game characthers to move around like tanks. Have you tried the earlier Tomb Raider games recently?, they dont really stand up well either and have simular controll issues (though admitedly they arent quite as horrible as shenmue).

It also had quite alot of variety and felt a bit epic, it had a bit more ambition than most games and that made people apreiciate it more.

These days though you have to admit its pretty crap to play in comparison to newer games, it hasnt aged well at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X