No announcement yet.

Why do people love Shenmue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right about FF. What I meant was that I myself am not interested in turn-based battles so would only play, say FF7, for the story which I'm no longer interested in. In the case of Shenmue, I had read lots of snippets about it in CVG, etc, waited ages for teeny tiny QT promo videos to download, and generally bathed in the hype surrounding it.

In my case, the clunky controls didn't detract enough from the experience to stop me playing but they and other things did exactly that for you. I turned off Assassin's Creed after getting bored during the tutorial and haven't touched an AC game since then. People could just as easily berate me for that and say I should give it another chance but I won't. You at least did that much and still couldn't get on with it and that's fine.

Comment

The fighting bits are ace.

Comment

I would honestly welcome a remake with a new script and control system. I would buy it without a doubt then.

Comment

A new script isn't needed for the original. A much better translation of the original script is what is needed and better voice actors too. man, the English language version of Shenmue was F**king awful.

Comment

But that gave it charm!

Do you remember seeing a black car, on THAT day?

Comment

Another lover of the game but unsure how it would sit today if a 3rd was made

loved how I became the character and could really do what I wanted

Spent hours in the arcade, in the dojo training and down the docks in my trusty forklift

There was nothing quite like it way back for the DC or really anything for that matter but I never got to play shenmue 2 and not that interested in shenmue 3 being released

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                I played this game for over an hour last night to try and 'get it' and I do get it. Utter uncontrollable crap! Amazing how Sega, once a leader in gameplay managed to get Ryo to control so badly. Movement on D-pad, camera on analogue, Ryo unable to turn on spot in any usable manor, constantly getting stuck on scenery.
                It's like Sega looked at how Zelda Ocarina of Time controls and decided to ignore everything about it.

I simply cannot stomach it. Loading times are appalling too, making changes to areas absolutely painful. Lord knows why Sega didn't put this on PS2 either as the machine could have done it at a canter.

Anyway, positives. I found myself interested in the actual theme and plot interesting, as is the world. The music is superb also.

Pity, the terrible mechanics mean this game is still out of reach. If it gets a few tweaks in a possible HD remix, I might try again. Until then, I cannot believe people can be so forgiving.
                As the saying goes a bad workman blames his tools and all that

I can't remember having any problems like the mentioned above

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  A new script isn't needed for the original. A much better translation of the original script is what is needed and better voice actors too. man, the English language version of Shenmue was F**king awful.
                  There was all kinds of difficulty with the localisation.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura
                    I played this game for over an hour last night to try and 'get it' and I do get it. Utter uncontrollable crap! Amazing how Sega, once a leader in gameplay managed to get Ryo to control so badly. Movement on D-pad, camera on analogue, Ryo unable to turn on spot in any usable manor, constantly getting stuck on scenery.
                    It's like Sega looked at how Zelda Ocarina of Time controls and decided to ignore everything about it.

I simply cannot stomach it. Loading times are appalling too, making changes to areas absolutely painful. Lord knows why Sega didn't put this on PS2 either as the machine could have done it at a canter.

Anyway, positives. I found myself interested in the actual theme and plot interesting, as is the world. The music is superb also.

Pity, the terrible mechanics mean this game is still out of reach. If it gets a few tweaks in a possible HD remix, I might try again. Until then, I cannot believe people can be so forgiving.
                    Honestly I can respect this as a matter of opinion, but for me the controls were absolutely not a barrier in either game, and I know it's the same for many others.

They're not great but I feel sorry for you that you can't play these masterpieces because of the controls.

I get so sucked into Ryo's world I forget about the controller completely lol.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                      As the saying goes a bad workman blames his tools and all that

I can't remember having any problems like the mentioned above
                      Good for you man.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Honestly I can respect this as a matter of opinion, but for me the controls were absolutely not a barrier in either game, and I know it's the same for many others.

They're not great but I feel sorry for you that you can't play these masterpieces because of the controls.

I get so sucked into Ryo's world I forget about the controller completely lol.
                      No need to feel sorry for me. I have read plenty of books with better plots and played plenty of better games. I've not exactly devastated that I don't want to play it. It would be nice but not the end of the world.

The controls are simply terrible. Give it to any new player from today and it will prove correct. For a company that started development of this game on the Saturn, it was incredible that they did not include twin sticks on the DC, especially when the Dual Analogue pad was out in 1997 and the N64 had the C buttons.

Comment

The controls were no where near as bad as are being made out by Nakamura but wern't perfect.. The storyline was very good, Graphics fantastic for the day and music & gameworld incredible. The 2nd was even better. Would really love a 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                        X