No announcement yet.

The coolest consoles you never owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember seeing those a lot in catalogues for £399 or something, they are pretty damn rare now, like the 3DO BLASTER ISA card by creative, rare as hell now.

Comment

I definitely need to stay out this thread, it's caused a few things to be added to my "watch list" on ebay. Must resist.........................mustn't............ .buy..........more consoles................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!! !!!!!!

Comment

The Mega PC, I'd forgotten about those. I remember seeing one in the local branch of Curry's at one point. They were everywhere for about a month, and then they vanished without trace.

Comment

I've had slight murmurings of desire for the White Saturn, a Supergrafx (at the time, heh!) and the Sharp X68000, but never any really bad cravings.

I think the coolest console I ever had was the little, white PCE, I got one in August '89. I had been waiting for it to arrive for almost two weeks, and on this particular day I had gone for a day trip to Blackpool with my bro, Mum and Gran, and when we got back, the fat woman from next door immediately ran up to us before we could get the key in the door, to say it had come in the post, promptly handed over the parcel, how chuffed was I then.

I think the white PCE has probably been the coolest console I've ever owned, the HuCards are the coolest way of presenting games ever, and I've pretty much managed to get hold of most other consoles I've wanted.

I have to say that, nowadays, I'd probably say that the PCE - whilst great - is a bit too retro these days, blocky, not as many ace games available for it as it once seemed, and I prefer to play it via emulation rather than shelling out fantastic amounts of cash to own the hardware/games. The MD really does look the better machine with the benefit of hindsight, and I still buy for that machine.

Just let me say that I'm not meaning to rile ikobo_1 here, it's just the way I feel about things.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Just let me say that I'm not meaning to rile ikobo_1 here, it's just the way I feel about things.
            Haha! I'm not a fanboy mate! I'd be the first to admit that the PC-Engine isn't the best console ever, and that both the MD and super famicom have a bigger selection of AAA titles. It is however my favourite console ever! I love so many of the (exclusive) games on it that it always will be. But as far as design of the system and the games go, i don't see anything ever topping it. I'm not "NEC exclusive", i've owned every console of the last 30 years barring the wii as i think it's a piece of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
              console of the last 30 years barring the wii as i think it's a piece of crap.
              Finally You speak some sense !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Finally You speak some sense !!!
                Shut it fanboy.

Comment

had some lovely stuff in my time

pc engine duo r (rgb modded)
                  Panny Q
                  Victor wondermega (recently sold)
                  Victor saturn
                  Samsung nuon

All the above is now gone, but i still have this puppy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive

Comment

I actually got in touch with it's previous owner trying to find out if he still had it, and was told you'd bought it!

had one a few years ago but the drawer broke and it was kaput!

Comment

Well I already have a couple of Megajets, Supergrafx and a Sega Wondermega, so mine would be:

Divers Dreamcast
                      Hitachi HiSaturn Navi
                      Sharp X68000
                      Famicom Titler
                      Sega Teradrive

Comment

I must admit, that Pioneer LaserActive looks dreamy. I think it's mainly the appeal of a AV-type piece of hardware that can play MegaDrive, MegaCD and PC Engine games. That said, I'd be interested in playing Road Avenger seeing as I love the game on the MegaCD. I'm so used to the MegaCD version's music though so...

Part of me has always wanted to own a Nomad, if only because I remember seeing pictures of it in Mean Machines Sega and thinking a handheld Megadrive is the coolest idea ever. It's slightly redundant now that we have the PSP etc. with emulators though.

Comment

I always quite fancied the idea of an FM Towns Marty for the handful of arcade conversions - could never justify it though since the majority of the library are japanese text intensive games.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
                            Shut it fanboy.
                            You've got ok-ish taste in cars , utter sh8t taste in consoles.
                            Me and Lee have given up trying to educate you in ways of the Saturn

Comment

Was never too fussed by things like the PC Engine and all the funny jap consoles nice as they are.
                              For me it was the 3DO due to the look of Need for Speed, Road Rash, Return Fire and Fifa. Also had a liking for the Neo Geo, was always gutted the SNES didn't quite have arcade perfect ports like i was expecting as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                You've got ok-ish taste in cars , utter sh8t taste in consoles.
                                Me and Lee have given up trying to educate you in ways of the Saturn
                                Haha! An education from you wouldn't have got me very far in life. And as for cars, you have no idea what i drive these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X