Discuss the best versions of games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discuss the best versions of games.

I.E. best home version, or best alternative version of a game outside the host system.

Maybe upto Dreamcast & Playstation 2?

Something along the lines of Darius 2.......the Saturn version retains the arcade apect, but on a 4:3 TV its absurdly wide......while the PC Engine SCD version looks too close in but has an arranged soundtrack. The Saturn soundtrack is snazzy enough, i'd probably plump for that version, though i'm open to being wrong.

What about Chase HQ, does anyone have a recomend for the best home version - is it decent on any compilation pack?

Taito Memories for Chase H.Q. All other home versions suck IMO.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Strider - mega drive
      streetfighter 2 turbo - snes
      truxton/tatsujin - mega drive
      space harrier - master system
      fantasy zone - master system
      rtype - pc engine
      pang - amiga
      nz story - mega drive
      mr do - coleco vision
      snapper/killer gorilla/croaker - bbc micro. Blatant rip offs but damned good ones!!

Comment

Ghouls n Ghosts - megadrive?

Comment

As ports go (outside of any Playstation or Saturn compilations) I would say that the X68000 versions of Ghouls n Ghosts and Final Fight are the best of those particular titles. Final Fight was shockingly close to the original.

Comment

Good call, forgot about the X68000 , mainly because its not spoken of much.

Comment

@ chocklo, I'd say the PCE version of Space Harrier was much better than the MS version.

Agree on the Acornsoft arcade titles, Snapper was the best Pac Man clone I ever played.

Comment

Some of the home ports I actually prefer to the arcade such as MD Strider, which has much better music, PCE R-Type, again, I prefer the music, and Rastan for the SMS as its slower pace makes it more akin to a Castlevania game.

Other definitive home ports for me include California Games (SMS), Outrun (PCE), Shinobi (PCE) and Parodius (PCE).

Oh yeah, the Mega CD version of Snatcher has to be the best for being the only version I can fully enjoy.

Lastly, shame on you Joe, the Spectrum port of Chase HQ was f*cking amazing.

Comment

I'd like to know which is the best home version of Powerdrift - Saturn or Dreamcast?

Comment

I'd like to know which is the best home version of Powerdrift - Saturn or Dreamcast?
                    C64 by Chris Butler, blimming amazing port that is ..... then Saturn.

Comment

Surely the 32X version of Space Harrier? (aside from the Sega Ages versions)

Comment

For SFIII:3s - PS2 > Dreamcast > Xbox

I play with GGPO these days though

Comment

TurboOutrun -C64
                          SilkWorm - Amiga
                          Mortal Kombat 2 -Snes

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

Other definitive home ports for me include Shinobi (PCE)
                            Interesting, I can agree that the PC Engine version AV wise is the best, but doesn't it miss levels and the bonus stages compared to the Master System version?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Interesting, I can agree that the PC Engine version AV wise is the best, but doesn't it miss levels and the bonus stages compared to the Master System version?
                              Yeah it does but I still prefer it

Comment

Working...
                              X