Discuss the best versions of games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    Lastly, shame on you J0e, the Spectrum port of Chase HQ was f*cking amazing.
    Actually, the Amiga version of Chase H.Q. was pretty special if I recall correctly. TBH even the arcade version has aged poorly, I think mainly due to not having force feedback at the wheel.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Actually, the Amstrad version was AWESOME, and still looks quite good.

Comment

is it true that the best version of alpha 3 between the dc and saturn ....the saturn version is better ?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
          is it true that the best version of alpha 3 between the dc and saturn ....the saturn version is better ?
          It is.

Comment

Yeah I think the Saturn version is closer to the original CPS2 release, although Capcom re released a NAOMI Arcade version of the Dreamcast port, think it was called SFA3 Upper.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              For SFIII:3s - PS2 > Dreamcast > Xbox

I play with GGPO these days though
              I thought the Xbox version was supposed to be more accurate than the DC one. I heard the DC version has the parry timing slightly messed up and the unblockables removed.

Comment

Yeah the DC version of alpha 3 is crap imo. It's just a lazy port of the ps1 version with loads of animation missing and wrong sized sprites. The Saturn alpha 3 was the only one to have until the ps2 alpha anthology.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                  I thought the Xbox version was supposed to be more accurate than the DC one. I heard the DC version has the parry timing slightly messed up and the unblockables removed.
                  There's no 'accuracy' problem. The DC port is the only one thats a port of the fixed arcade revision version b. The PS2 (looks worse) and Xbox versions are ports of version a.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I'd like to know which is the best home version of Powerdrift - Saturn or Dreamcast?
                    The Saturn - Controls better with the Saturn wheel , more options/modes and imo shaper graphics .

Anyway here's some of mine

PitFighter - Amiga

Prince of Persia - Snes

Ghost N Ghouls - Mega Drive

Sensible Soccer - Mega CD

John Madden - Mega Drive

Final Fight - Mega CD

Street Fighter II - Mega Drive (only because of the 6 button D-pad)

WonderBoy - Master System

Comment

It's not a retro platform so i guess i'm going a bit off topic here but....

Loved playing beneath a steel sky and am loving broken sword on iphone.

Comment

DC Panzer Front > PS Panzer Front, mainly due to the significantly better graphics.

But NTSC(J) only PS Panzer Front Bis. > DC Panzer Front as it contains everything the original DC/PS version had + a story mode (barking mad) + a handful of new missions + one of the most sophisticated and, being all in Japanese, complex map making facilities I've ever come across in a PS game.

Comment

Whats the best version of Chiki Chiki Boys? The PC Engine one looks really flat compared to the parallax going on the Megadrive version, though arranged soundtrack hmmm?

Comment

Everything but the announcer voice (and some super move fx) is better on Saturn.

Bigger and less pixelated sprites, more animations, Karin Arcade background, Shin Vega playable and reverse dramatic battles... Outside of performance, the 6 button pad was beyond superior for this game...

DC A3 is broken and cack, but it does have a better looking main menu and the Arcades super fast access times and clear sounds.

This also goes for Vampire Savior. I think the Saturn version kills the DC and Ps2 ports, and even the CPS2. And unlike SFZ3 Saturn, Savior seems to have no issues at all. It was Capcom's best arcade to home conversion on the Saturn imo.
                            Last edited by saturn-gamer; 04-02-2010, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                              DC Panzer Front > PS Panzer Front, mainly due to the significantly better graphics.

But NTSC(J) only PS Panzer Front Bis. > DC Panzer Front as it contains everything the original DC/PS version had + a story mode (barking mad) + a handful of new missions + one of the most sophisticated and, being all in Japanese, complex map making facilities I've ever come across in a PS game.

good thread

I love panzer front on the DC (being a tank buff); you say the ps1 jp version is better? I played the PAL ps2 panzer front and it was pretty ropey.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                                good thread

I love panzer front on the DC (being a tank buff); you say the ps1 jp version is better? I played the PAL ps2 panzer front and it was pretty ropey.
                                The Jap only version of Panzer Front Bis yes. There was a Jap version of the original game I believe but I doubt that's much different from the US version. Any NTSC version must be considered better than the PAL version simply because the latter had no 60Hz option.

PF Bis was essentially a re-issue with a small but significant expansion pack as described. One of the few missions they added is the only one to feature Jap tanks. The PAL version was virtually completed (some UK mags had already reviewed it) but canned forever when JVC suddenly pulled the plug and left the games market.

The important thing in PF.Bis though was the mapmaker. Out there somewhere are around 30 PF fan designed missions created with it, a number of which are considered superior to those featured in the game.

I've always wanted to get hold of them on PS memory card which is how they were initialy distributed. But I think they are only available now only via difficult to find downloads for use with no doubt dodgy PS emulators on the PC.

My pipe dream is Sony releasing on PSN a transated version of PF. Bis with those user created maps as part of the package. That would seriously get me thinking about a PS3.

PS2 Panzer Ausf.B is a 'sequel' and different game entirely, really only for hardcore tank-o-philes. The graphics aren't that much better than the DC version of the original either.

Comment

Working...
                                X