No announcement yet.

Same Name Different Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this isn't what you want, but both the recent games of Saboteur and Urban Chaos had nothing to do with their original versions. Unfortunately.

On a similar vein, i never quite worked out the difference between MD SF2 Champion Edition and SNES Turbo Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by drmick View Post
      On a similar vein, i never quite worked out the difference between MD SF2 Champion Edition and SNES Turbo Edition.
      Wasn't the name change due to Nintendo's 'exclusitivity' to SF2 Turbo?

Anyroad, excellent article on the minor aesthetic differences between the two here:

Comment

Remembered this one after the "budget games under a fiver" thread

Skips Clumsy Colin by Mastertronic

C64 version was 3D, Speccy was top down.

Comment

Starfox - Snes. We all know this one

Starfox - Spectrum, Commodore, Amstrad. Made a few years earlier.

Is this the reason we got Starwing/Lylat Wars in Europe?

Comment

There's Nemesis on the Game Boy, which is different to the arcade game Nemesis, which was itself was Gradius with a different name in certain regions (Europe).

Then there's Gradius on the Game Boy, or Gradius: The Interstellar Assault to give it its full name, which is neither the arcade game Nemesis/Gradius, or the Game Boy Nemesis, being a sequel to it.

Gradius 2 on the MSX is a completely different game to Gradius II, the latter being an arcade game which was called Vulcan Venture in Europe.

People get confused with the Parodius series; the first Parodius game was released on the MSX in 1988. The arcade game (later converted to Super NES, PC Engine,Game Boy and NES) is known as Parodius Da! in Japan, yet many refer to that simply as Parodius (admittedly its Japanese name), forgetting that it was the second game in the series.

Hopefully someone can explain the whole Life Force/Salamander series mystery. It has always confused me to bits, as they aren't exactly the same game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
              If not that, then something along those lines almost certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                Starfox - Snes. We all know this one

Starfox - Spectrum, Commodore, Amstrad. Made a few years earlier.

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                If not that, then something along those lines almost certainly.

i'm sure i read somewhere the name was changed because of an old speccy game. so that must be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple Convoy View Post
                  Hopefully someone can explain the whole Life Force/Salamander series mystery. It has always confused me to bits, as they aren't exactly the same game.
                  In Life Force you collect power up tokens and buy your weapons (like the Gradius series), In Salamander you simply pick up the weapons after shooting enemies. There are some colour pallette changes too.

Not sure about the Nes version.

Comment

Loved the feature in this month's RG, Daz. I feel honoured that one of my suggestions made the cut too

So how about covering Shadowrun in a future ish?

Comment

There is an interesting discussion here, in that most differences between games were mostly due to technical limitations or the fact that they were done by totally different developers........

My 1/2 a pennys worth is Mortal Kombat, where both MD and SNES versions had there techincal differences, but yet, company branding restricted on having gore and another without, thus balancing them out in terms of credibility......... Plus, don't forget about the 3 button pad issue

excellent idea for an article btw! Something worthy of a highschool assignment, to teach you how to compare and contrast

EDIT: jus realised this has ran its course already.......... doh! well, great idea all the same!

Comment

Working...
                      X