Ebay - selling to resellers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay - selling to resellers ...

I'm having a clear out of a lot of my stuff at the moment. So I've been putting it on Ebay starting the auctions off at 99p. Now, I'm one of these people who would rather see my goodies go to fellow gamers / collectors & not resellers who are going to relist the items & slap a high "Buy It Now" on it. This is something that has got me a little worked up. If the guy who's just won a few of my games starts asking for multiple item postage discounts I'm going to go mad!!!

What are people's general feelings on this? Am I blowing this out of proportion??

A buyer is a buyer. I know your intentions are good and we will all appreciate them, but had this bidder not bid your item would have gone unsold anyway.

For all you know this potential reseller could actually want the games for himself. Being a occasional reseller myself, it's very frustrating when sellers accusingly assume you're reselling something when it's not always the case.

Comment

Sell 'em on here instead! Surely that's better for everyone concerned?

Comment

I know that at the end of the day, a buyer is a buyer. And I may have got slightly more for the games I was selling in the end. But having had 3 obvious resellers winning just about every auction I had finishing tonight (about 20 items in titles), it's pretty obvious to me what they're going to be doing.

Having looked at what these people who have won my auctions are selling themselves & with their huge unrealistic "Buy It Now" figures ..., well, it's beyond belief!

Like I said, I would rather the games went to people who are going to play them & pay relatively decent prices for them (even if it means I don't make as much on the sale), not some marked-up buy-it-now price that these particular "profiteer merchants" seem to ask for.

Rant over!!!! Just letting off some steam!! Maybe I should list them on here instead!! Some of my Saturn stuff is next to go!!

Comment

Cancel bids and block them as bidders.

Comment

I don't mind who buys as long as they pay. If a reseller wants to pay more than anyone else to buy something from me, then more power to him.

Comment

Not seeing the problem myself, once you've sold something it's not yours.

If the person who's bought it is able to make a bit of money from it by selling it to somebody else who wants to play it then it's ended doing what you've wanted anyway.

You mention gamers and collectors in your post as if they're separate. When it's me selling stuff, I'd much rather sell them to somebody who's going to play the game rather than collect it.

Although I've done it myself in the past to a daft extent, the thought of people buying games to collect them which can stop other people from buying and paying them seems far more negative to me than what you appear to be concerned about.

As I said, I've done it myself in the past and most would never get touched while I had them. It was just really good to sell them on to people who may just do the same, may make a profit from them or may even play the games.

Comment

I find it much worse when people resell stuff they have bought from the sales thread on here. Sometimes theres bargains to be had & in the past unscrupulous people have taken advantage of that & then flipped them on ebay.

Comment

Can't see any problem with somebody buying from the sales subforum on here and selling the game on if they've completed it (or are otherwise finished with it) but if people are trawling the sales areas here with a specific intent to resell for profit then they should be named at the very least so a seller has the right to refuse their offer.

Comment

The only problem I have is reseller that trys to get you to end the auction early for them, usually for a lowball price and with a sob story that it's for little johnnys birthday and pretend to be a woman.

Sure your son want's this obscure retro japanese game for his 8th birthday...

Comment

What if he didn't ask for postage discounts, and what if he paid above the regular going rates, but then you discovered he was actually only buying them so he could then BURN THEM whilst making some kind of avant garde music video, involving someone burning videogames?

I've sometimes had this perverse fantasy that if I ended up winning 50 million on the lottery, I'd buy all the rarest and most expensive games, including one of a kind prototypes, and then burn them to the accompaniment of some rocking 1980s metal tracks, and put them on Youtube. This rare copy of Shinrei Jusastsu Taromaru? Up in flames! Kizuna Encounter? Bye bye! One of a kind beta copy of Marble Madness 2? TASTE THE BURN!

After a while I reckon I'd get bored and move on, perhaps buying a Rembrandt painting and then paint on to it a Katamari and the prince, just to infuriate the entire art collecting world. If I had enough money I'd get a Picasso, a Davinci, a Monet, Dali, and do the same to all of them.

In my youth I'd create beautiful oil paintings and, if they were met with applaud from my fellow students, I'd burn them.

I've always had this desire to eliminate from existence inanimate things which are beautiful and unique, but have always lacked the funds needed to indulge this pleasure.

Perhaps I'll have a look at what you're selling! I'm not a reseller.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                        Snip..

Comment

Originally posted by Lorfarius View Post
                          Cancel bids and block them as bidders.
                          Why would you do that?!

As a buyer I would be seriously annoyed if someone did that to me.
                          Plus it sort of defeats the point of an auction, you're selling on ebay cause you want to get the best price, if you just want them to go to good homes put them on here for a quid a piece and give yourself a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you have made someone else's day even if you have lost a ****load of money.

If you don't like ebay don't use it, it really is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
                            Why would you do that?!

As a buyer I would be seriously annoyed if someone did that to me.
                            Plus it sort of defeats the point of an auction, you're selling on ebay cause you want to get the best price, if you just want them to go to good homes put them on here for a quid a piece and give yourself a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you have made someone else's day even if you have lost a ****load of money.

If you don't like ebay don't use it, it really is that simple.
                            As a seller it is your right to sell to whoever you want. If you don't like a person or suspect them of being up to dodgy dealings then you would be well within your right to cancel and block all future bids.

Comment

But he is not talking about someone who is 'up to dodgy dealings', he is entering a market where resellers buy from, it is an auction.
                              You don't go to a car auction and expect traders not be buying, you don't go to a antique auction and expect there to be no antique dealers there, it is ebay, it is an auction, and traders may buy your product, I just think if you don't like it then you shouldn't be using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X