No announcement yet.

Ebay - selling to resellers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's up to him what principles he wants to work within. As someone else said though, if you want items to go to fellow gamers then advertise them here.

There are bargains to be had on here and I always make sure that if I get one then when I want rid I put it back on here at the same deal I got.

Comment

Well I think I am bidding on at least one of your auctions, so please don't cancel the bids :P

Comment

What about this case - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/10510086.stm

Makes you think twice about shilling - yes I've done it. I'm pretty sure ebay could cut down on this if they really wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by shiffy View Post
          What are people's general feelings on this? Am I blowing this out of proportion??
          I must say I agree wholeheartedly with gIzzE.

In my view if you put something up for auction, no matter what it is, you are naturally looking to receive the maximum possible for the goods. Whether it ends up going straight to a fellow gamer, or via a reseller to a fellow gamer, the end result is in essence the same.

If you were to list the items "Buy it now" at cheap prices, chances are they are going to sell quickly and chances are the item could go to a reseller. What would you do then? Refuse to send the game?

What I think you forget is that some of these people are making a living. I'm assuming another factor many people, when selling a quantity of items, list them as auctions finishing at a similar time is so they can make one trip to the post office.

I don't understand why games resellers are continually demonised on this forum. Fair play to them I say.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymadone View Post
            I must say I agree wholeheartedly with gIzzE.

In my view if you put something up for auction, no matter what it is, you are naturally looking to receive the maximum possible for the goods. Whether it ends up going straight to a fellow gamer, or via a reseller to a fellow gamer, the end result is in essence the same.

If you were to list the items "Buy it now" at cheap prices, chances are they are going to sell quickly and chances are the item could go to a reseller. What would you do then? Refuse to send the game?

What I think you forget is that some of these people are making a living. I'm assuming another factor many people, when selling a quantity of items, list them as auctions finishing at a similar time is so they can make one trip to the post office.

I don't understand why games resellers are continually demonised on this forum. Fair play to them I say.
            well if you were ever after a multimega or a copy of snatcher you would probably see differently as there is a well known trader on ebay that buys everyone that comes up on auction and then relists as buy it nows for double/triple the value in an attempt to create a false value level for said items

Personally I dont give a toss as buying on ebay is like buying in a shop ie ill only pay what im prepared to and if a reseller outbids me then so be it but it should be up to a seller if they choose to sell to whoever they want, could be worse they could go on av forums to be continually lowballed for everything

Comment

What about if you sell an item on here, then the person who bought it re-lists it a few weeks later at a price hike in the same sales forum? I've had it happen, and I thought it was an absolute piss-take to be honest. I now refuse to sell these people items when they ask to buy something from me, which is my right as the seller.

Comment

What about if you sell an item on here, then the person who bought it re-lists it a few weeks later at a price hike in the same sales forum? I've had it happen, and I thought it was an absolute piss-take to be honest. I now refuse to sell these people items when they ask to buy something from me, which is my right as the seller.
                Voice of truth here !

Comment

Surely you're a reseller yourself.

All games end up being resold or into the dump.

Leave sentiment and nonsense 'gamer code' aside and get the most money for your goods.

There is a free preference option in eBay to limit one item per bidder if you want to avoid postage discount requests. Although I find that less profitable, as some bidders bid higher than they normally would just to get a few pounds off postage.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post

Absolutely, it breaks all forum etiquette as far as I am concerned, they are the forum rules, whether written or unwritten, you just don't do it.
                    However, in an open auction like Ebay I don't think you have a right to stop someone buying something unless you know they are doing something wrong, and that does not include buying stock for their business.

I would guess the people moaning about ebay sellers don't run a business?
                    These are products and as such will always be traded and they will be traded at what the market will stand for them. I will happily pay top dollar for something I want now as I am at the age where I can afford it, when I was in my 20's I couldn't and used to have wait for a bargain to appear, I think a lot of the resentment here maybe because of this.
                    The fact a trader has bought you item really shows that no one else wants it and he has got to sell it on and make a profit, which is not easy, means you have to sit on a hell of a lot of stock for a long time, and write some down when it really doesn't move, so although they may buy something from you for ?10 and have it marked up at ?25, they may only get ?15 in the end, then they have fees etc. which means they may loose money on some stuff.

There seems to be a real hatred in the country for anyone who tries to make a living, god forbid a business should try and make a profit!!

Comment

I still don't understand the original poster's concerns having read through this topic a few times. None of it makes any sense at all to me if I'm being honest.

Is there a set number of hours people need to be playing a game before it's considered correct to sell it on? What happens if somebody buys the game and just doesn't like it?

Should high street be thinking in the same way? Should they be allowed to refuse to sell people stuff as they may re-sell it at some point?

I'm sure you could very easily find people on here and other places who will accept the game free of charge and keep the game for ages.

If people don't like capitalism then they have the option to not use it. If you choose to use capitalism then get used to the rules as people will quite rightly resell things and make a profit if you've originally underpriced something.

The people who aren't happy with this stuff, have you ever not bought an item because you thought it was underpriced and you knew that somebody somewhere was losing out by you paying that low price?

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                        well if you were ever after a multimega or a copy of snatcher you would probably see differently as there is a well known trader on ebay that buys everyone that comes up on auction and then relists as buy it nows for double/triple the value in an attempt to create a false value level for said items
                        Nail on the head here. Resellers artificially inflate the value of second-hand goods to fill their own pockets- a level of opportunistic, parasitic greed that leaves a sour taste in the mouth for whoever sold the item for a much lower price to begin with. I'd personally feel quite pissed off about selling a game on to somebody to have them instantly sell it on to somebody else for a much higher price- not because I'd missed out on the extra money paid but because I could've sold to that other person instead for a lower price, providing them with something they'll genuinely appreciate instead of seeing it as a means of generating money.

You can't really stop resellers for as long as some people are willing to pay stupid prices for a game but it doesn't mean that you have to condone the practice.

Comment

Irony is there are people who bemoan the depreciation in value of games.

Comment

^ good point and also how can you accurately define a fair price for second hand game? Just because you may think it is worth X, why is it wrong for people to charge > X.

Comment

The act of buying low and quickly selling on for profit is something that will always happen. We don't want any of that nonsense on here though. Remember to let a Mod know if you spot this kind of thing going on.

Comment

My view is that anyone selling anything for profit is wrong, but then I'm a bit of a Marxist.

Comment

Working...
                                X