Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
    My friend and I recently went into a Sony Centre and were horrified to find that one of their new screens had no SCART inputs at all. We're testing equipment and trying to get the best look for our old consoles for that sad, inevitable day when our last CRTs die. Probably why I have a room full of them now, to my wife's chagrin.
    No SCART?! What the hell is this, 1976? (apparently they first appeared in 1977)

I have 4 CRTs currently. Two in regular use. I sometimes visit the local recycling centre, and frankly when I see this enormous cage bins filled with enormous (no doubt still functional CRTs), I have the almost unstoppable urge to bundle them into the back of my car and make off with them...

The best CRT I have is a large widescreen, with S-Video input on top of the rest, given to me free at a retro convention.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      looking very nice - more pics please (n64/ps1 and 2 if possible)
      Sure, been meaning to anyway - just need to play with my camera some more so I can take some shots that do the monitor justice! I'm quite a noob with photography - but as soon as I work it out I'll post them up! Expect PC Engine, SNES and more Saturn!

Comment

In scenes that would make speedlolita break down and cry, I recently threw away my faithful old CRT. I am taking some steps to earn back some positive karma, though.

These uber-CRTs are definitely awesome if you have the space and can get your hands on one, but realistically I think the best situation most of us can hope for is the continued availability of good upscalers, or even better, HDTV manufacturers doing a better job of looking after low-res content. Potentially stupid question: does anyone actually still manufacture new CRTs?

Comment

In addition, they NEED to be 4:3.

Comment

They do in Asia. I only need two screens. One for gaming and one for my PC. Personally I do everything normal people would on their huge LCD screens on my Dell U2410. So a CRT is the perfect compliment. Wish I had room for a 20" PVM mind, the 9" is a bit small for RPGs sort of.

Comment

how are you finding the pioneer 40", ikobo? Did it meet your expectations?

Comment

All I can say is, not only has it added to my retro gaming experience, it's also increased the amount i've actually been playing! Having a 40" 4:3 panel is just brilliant, and the image is top notch. I do still use my XRGB-2 with it though as I want (need?) scanlines. I thought i'd have been able to do away with it, but retro gaming just isn't right without them, or for me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                  My friend and I recently went into a Sony Centre and were horrified to find that one of their new screens had no SCART inputs at all.
                  They do have RGB inputs, but it's via an included adapter. There are no actual SCART sockets on the back of the units anymore.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Ya the component inputs have fallen by the way of breakout cables on many sets including other brands now, particularly on smaller sets.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      They do in Asia. I only need two screens. One for gaming and one for my PC. Personally I do everything normal people would on their huge LCD screens on my Dell U2410. So a CRT is the perfect compliment. Wish I had room for a 20" PVM mind, the 9" is a bit small for RPGs sort of.
                      All the new CRTs in Singapore and Shanghai that I have seen (more than a dozen at least) only support 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i (some do 1080p).

All 240p content is upscaled to 480i and it looks like ****.

Comment

Ah I see.

Well that sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Bit anal but it's a pretty nice write up.
                          Anal is an understatement. I thought people were anal on this board until I found out about shmups11. A very good source of information though. Was completely lost with scalers without it.

Comment

I think we're pretty laid back here..

Comment

I had our very own Lyris at the house yesterday to calibrate my old Loewe CRT tv which I use for all of my retro system from the PCE to the DC. I am one happy bunny after his visit. The old TV is looking fantastic. I spent all afternoon booting loads of different games just to see how they look now. It was like when I bought my first proper hi-fi and felt like I had a whole new bunch of CD's the difference is so pronounced.
                              Well worth the time and money.

I have the report from Lyris and I will post it shortly.

Comment

Right, so here's day 1 pics of the Megadrive in action! Sadly it's not showing quite as vibrant as the screen so if anyone has any tips let me know!! Right click to expand link and see bigger pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X