No announcement yet.

Shocking ebay prices! 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom 'white splats' and a few cdr's anyone?

Comment

That's absolutely terrible.

Comment

I didn't know it was possible to flash a Saturn AR to boot backups. I really want a Saturn (never owned one nor played any of the exclusives), but would need a modified backup-capable one as there's no way I'm dropping ?150 to play PDS.

Good news for me as I don't have the equipment or inclination to solder a chip into a machine.

Comment

A modchip installation is literally plugging in some ribbon cables and installing one wire.

Combine that with a region free BIOS and your 90s technology is pointless.

Comment

But the Saturn itself is 90s technology...

Out of interest, what benefit does acquiring and installing a modchip and region free BIOS provide over using a flashed Action Replay? Seems like a lot more hassle. I don't even own a soldering iron so not sure how I'd install the wire. Blutack would work though right?

Comment

Just because something is 90s technology doesn't mean you should limit yourself to 90s solutions.

Having a modchip and a region free BIOS means that you can use a Saturn as you would normally and it is a totally open console - like a chipped PlayStation for example.

You can open the lid, put in a CD-R, close it and play. During gameplay you could also open the lid again, and then choose to put in a real game without rebooting the console - like a Dreamcast.

The Action Replay damages your RAM/memory cartridge slot by having a thicker PCB than is standard and also pops up a secondary menu each time you turn on the machine, which is lame.

As for the modchip install, a soldering iron may be needed for jumper configurations depending on your drive or the chip, but you're just supplying a 5V source so you can shove the end of the wire into either the CD drive power connector or the power supply 5V pin.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 11-08-2015, 16:32.

Comment

Mod chips all the way. Making the process simpler is always worth that extra effort.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  Mod chips all the way. Making the process simpler is always worth that extra effort.
                  Saturn is a bit of a dick though regarding chips, it only bypasses copy protection and not regional limitations - hence combining it with the region free BIOS - or even a switchless solution. Or even manual switches.

Comment

Interesting. I hate opening things up and tinkering around with their insides though. Recently had to open my MacBook Pro up 3 times to fix various problems and it is just such an unbelievable PITA.

I'd probably get an AR. Unless you actively enjoy modifying consoles the benefits don't seem that material. Menu popping up is not an issue for me.

Comment

I just like modding consoles.

Barely even use my Saturn, load of rubbish aside from Sega Rally.

Comment

You wanna sell it?

Comment

I could... Although I don't have a nice Japanese pad to go with my console.

Comment

Well that can be acquired much more easily than a fully modded machine.

Which model do you have speed? Model 1 OG JPN isn't it? Grey with blue? (I spend too much time on this forum that I know that)

Comment

Yup!

It's a HST-3210.

Phantom Universal modchip, UK power supply, region free BIOS, modded AV port for official PAL RGB cables and I have a switchless 50/60Hz module that I haven't installed yet because who uses 50Hz anymore? Though if you wanted me to I could install that no issue.

And this is my pad. lol

Comment

Well now you're just tempting me Mr Lolita :l

Comment

Working...
                                X