No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all incorrect. The PlayStation 2 version is by far the best home version of the game. It's not the PS1 version at all, but a direct port of the CPS-II game. If installed to the BB Unit, there are zero load times. It's easily superior to the Saturn version.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      This is all incorrect. The PlayStation 2 version is by far the best home version of the game. It's not the PS1 version at all, but a direct port of the CPS-II game. If installed to the BB Unit, there are zero load times. It's easily superior to the Saturn version.
      No its not because the PlayStation pad is ass actually I got the info from a misinformed website. An annotation has been added to the video clearing up the mistake.

Comment

Is this a native part of the game, or a hack?

Comment

You do know what a BB Unit is right?

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/3/3/9/73339_back.jpg

It clearly states the 2048MB requirement.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The d-pad and only four face buttons still sucks arse, therefore any Saturn fighter > PlayStation 1/2/3/4 version.

Comment

You play fighting games with a control pad? You forget than you can get official Sega PS2 Saturn pads too.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You do know what a BB Unit is right?
                Yes.

I also know that the combination of the BB Unit and the PS2's hard drive along with modchips allows you to install many games to HDD that normally can't be - so I was asking if it was one of those situations.

Comment

Are you sure? The BB Unit and the HDD Unit are the exact same thing, there is no combination. They changed the name to BB Unit, once the BB Navigator firmware was released.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 04-01-2016, 08:32.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Are you sure? The BB Unit and the HDD Unit are the exact same thing, there is no combination. They changed the name to BB Unit, once the BB Navigator firmware was released.
                    I was aware that there was a pre-HDD network adapter and a later one that had the HDD as a pack-in. I've never used either of them, being in the UK where their release was extremely limited (in fact, I don't think the HDD version was ever released here). It meant that some of the supported games were a bit crippled, such as the online-centric Resident Evil games - we also didn't get Final Fantasy XI (only on PC).

Comment

It must be different outside of Japan, because there has never been a pre-HDD network adapter. The HDD Unit set comprises of the HDD Unit, the network adapter and the HDD Utility Disc 1.00. The BB Unit is exactly the same thing, but you get a BB Navigator Utility Disc instead.

The BB Navigator PS2 has a built-in browser and an email client. The firmware is totally different to that of a regular PS2. It's got a real early vertical version of the XMB. There used to be support for MiniDisc, but they took that away in 0.32. The online service has been down for a number of years now, but you can still access Koei Tecmo's page for some reason.

It's more of a curio nowadays, but the game installation part still functions as it always did. The reduction in load times is awesome.
                      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 04-01-2016, 09:31.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It must be different outside of Japan, because there has never been a pre-HDD network adapter.
                        I think it is. I may be mistaken in my recollection, but I don't think the very early PS2 models had the drive bay (just the panel for the ethernet adaptor), and it came out quite early in the PS2's life, but there was practically zero support (similar to the PS2's fire-wire link cable).

That whole area is a bit weird though, with many undocumented game features. For instance, if I recall correctly, the Euro PS2 version of Tony Hawk's 3 has an online multplayer mode, which unlocks if you plug a specific model USB modem into the PS2's USB port.

Comment

It does and there's a whole load of complicated-looking instructions in the manual about how to get it working.

Comment

PS2 Hard drive bay and ethernet adapter was a godsend for me. Custom Guitar Hero games all over the place.

Oh [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] congrats on the 100th show. Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                              Oh @<u><a href="http://www.bordersdown.net/member.php?u=1524" target="_blank">Yakumo</a></u> congrats on the 100th show. Good work!
                              Cheers man. Here's the 101th show.

Comment

I never considered Street Fighter Zero/Alpha to be a complete game, due to the small roster and shared backdrops. I always thought of Alpha-2 as the first completed game of the series.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person who feels this way, but even as a kid I remembered seeing it and thinking it felt unfinished.

Comment

Working...
                                X