No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when I first saw Dead or Alive running in an import shop in London. Although it wasn't quite as astonishing as seeing VF2 for the first time on the Saturn, as it really was a huge step up in graphics from VF1. People didn't think the Saturn could run something like that - and it was in a really high interlaced resolution. Both games show what the Saturn can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I remember when I first saw Dead or Alive running in an import shop in London. Although it wasn't quite as astonishing as seeing VF2 for the first time on the Saturn, as it really was a huge step up in graphics from VF1. People didn't think the Saturn could run something like that - and it was in a really high interlaced resolution. Both games show what the Saturn can do.
      I sort of agree. Thought I remember being totally jaw dropped when I got VF Remix in June 1995 . That was the 1st time I saw the Saturn High Res mode used for the 1st time(even it was just for the charcaters) and it looked amazing and a massive step up .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I sort of agree. Thought I remember being totally jaw dropped when I got VF Remix in June 1995 . That was the 1st time I saw the Saturn High Res mode used for the 1st time(even it was just for the charcaters) and it looked amazing and a massive step up .
        I didn't see Remix. I bought a Saturn in September 1995 and had the normal VF1. Then in December '95 I went to an import shop and saw VF2 running. It really was astonishing. Although, I didn't buy it, and chose Sega Rally instead. That game blew me and my friends away. Another truly great conversion that played really well. Sega Rally is one of my favourite Saturn games.

Comment

Another great vid. Just glad I've got the XB version, now I wanna play it!!!

I have a weird experience. I got my PAL Saturn back in late 1995 from the Argos I was working at over Xmas, it came with an RGB SCART cable and I got a battered copy of VF Remix on the cheap from Gamestation as my first game. It looked ACE on the big Mitsubishi telly downstairs through the RGB cable but my bedroom telly had no SCART socket...so....so....I traded in said RGB SCART cable for a friggin' crappy RF lead instead and played my Saturn through that!!

Talk about ignorant!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            ..I traded in said RGB SCART cable for a friggin' crappy RF lead instead and played my Saturn through that!!

Talk about ignorant!!!!
            We all do stupid things in life but trading a RGB cable for an RF cable?

Comment

Time for a new show.

Comment

I loved that game as a kid, they had the arcade machine in a local chip shop and I was always scraping 10p's to play it! Never heard it being called Spartan X, you learn something new every day!

Comment

It's only called Spartan X in Japan as far as I know no matter of the Platform. Funny they dropped the "Master" from the western NES version.

Comment

Even more funny that Spartan X was used to promote Wheels on Meals (a brilliant Jackie Chan film) in Japan when the game clearly has more in common with the Bruce Lee classic Game of Death when you think about it.

Comment

Yes it was!

There was even a NES sequel with the same character, Johnny Thomas, but all of the relations are weak, at best!

Finally, you probably all know Vigilante is a loose sequel, but there was a "Super Kung-Fu Master/Spartan X 2/Beyond Kung-Fu" made but never released! (Skip to about 1:22)

Comment

I saw this video a little while back, would be great if it could be fixed up and released for MAME etc.

(obviously with the infinite energy removed heh)
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I think the Gameboy Kung-fu Master was maybe my second or third game for the system? Used to love it.

Comment

Loved Kung Master back in the day (the jump kick was ace ) . Spent loads on it down the Dirty Duck in Porthcawl back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Finally, you probably all know Vigilante is a loose sequel, but there was a "Super Kung-Fu Master/Spartan X 2/Beyond Kung-Fu" made but never released! (Skip to about 1:22)
                              Wow, I never knew about Super Kung-Fu Master. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                It's only called Spartan X in Japan as far as I know no matter of the Platform. Funny they dropped the "Master" from the western NES version.
                                Seems a good example of the Japanese tendency to phrase and name things in western languages just because of the way they sound, with little regard to what they mean.

Not that this is a uniquely Japanese trait, what with the many people walking around in the UK with Chinese tattoos that say "chicken-fried rice".

Comment

Working...
                                X