Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Would arguably put PCE Shinobi in there.

It did so much right but the loss of a mission and the bonus stage is criminal.
    I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, at least what is there is very good. Ideally I’d take the Master System game with PC Engine visuals in that time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, at least what is there is very good. Ideally I’d take the Master System game with PC Engine visuals in that time frame.
      I see where you're coming from. As much as I think SMS Shinobi was/is weird to play, it's a decent port in its own right.

Really, Asmik should've put PCE Shinobi onto Arcade CD-ROMĀ² instead of using a standard HUcard.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Golden Axe is mind bogglingly bad. It's as if Telenet really wanted to piss someone off by releasing that abomination.
        Telenet were a really weird company, their self-developed games seemed to wildly differ in quality. On one hand, they did Gaiares on the MD (and a bunch of Valis games). On the other, bloody Beast Wrestler. I wonder if they subcontracted a lot of their work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          Telenet were a really weird company, their self-developed games seemed to wildly differ in quality. On one hand, they did Gaiares on the MD (and a bunch of Valis games). On the other, bloody Beast Wrestler. I wonder if they subcontracted a lot of their work out.
          It's hard to tell. Their internal teams also varied in quality. WolfTeam was their best while I'd argue that Riot was their worst. Riot were responsible for Beast Wrestler by the way

Comment

Another odd but addictive Taito shooter - This is Syvalion on this week's Battle of the Ports.

Comment

This game was ,massive back in the day but are any of the versions actually great games?

Comment

My mate had the Mega Drive version back in the day, pretty sure we finished it in an afternoon and traded it back the next week. Not an awful platformer (and not as slippery-controlling as a lot of the Western developed ones around then), but just a completely middling one with no real hook to it. I remember thinking it was quite neat that the character gets older as it goes on, but really it was just one to file in the "early 90s character platformer" bin with all the others.

Comment

I can't believe it has taken me this long to cover this game. And in a rare event,, all footage is taken from real hardware. No emulation. Well, besides the arcade version.

This is Battle of the Ports, Fighting Vipers

Comment

Not surprised you went with Honey, but then I do the same... the censorship thing is funny since it affected the US release more than the PAL one, likely Sega of America trying to overthink and justify their existence. From memory they removed Honey’s extra costumes from all the export versions, plus the Pepsi/Pepsiman stuff for licensing. But the US version goes further and changes loads of the rendered artwork too. Poor sensitive Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                      Not surprised you went with Honey, but then I do the same... the censorship thing is funny since it affected the US release more than the PAL one, likely Sega of America trying to overthink and justify their existence. From memory they removed Honey’s extra costumes from all the export versions, plus the Pepsi/Pepsiman stuff for licensing. But the US version goes further and changes loads of the rendered artwork too. Poor sensitive Americans.
                      Yeah, America is so weired. You can kill people in a bloodbath but you can't have a bit of titty or arse showing or even surgestive. Crazy!

Comment

I had no idea Fighting Vipers was on PS2 or the 360. The PS2 version still doesn’t look as sharp as the original. Amazing it took until the 360 to better the original.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          I had no idea Fighting Vipers was on PS2 or the 360. The PS2 version still doesn’t look as sharp as the original. Amazing it took until the 360 to better the original.
                          Well, that's mainly because most stuff on the PS2 looks like ass thanks to most games being interlaced.

Comment

Any chance of Out Run Europa in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
                              Any chance of Out Run Europa in the near future?
                              Does that crap have ports? Oh my God. I hope there not many. I al ays thought it was a Master System only game.
                              Time to do some research.

Comment

It's also on the Game Gear and the usual home computers.

Comment

Working...
                                X