No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing these videos always make me think is that back when we were talking about PS3/Xbox 360 multiplatform games and their differences, we were really splitting hairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      One thing these videos always make me think is that back when we were talking about PS3/Xbox 360 multiplatform games and their differences, we were really splitting hairs.
      Yes, at least they're all from the same codebase and assets

Comment

I've heard 'not great' impressions about the PCE Arcade CD version in the past, but this was the first time I've ever seen it in motion....it's pretty shocking stuff.

Comment

Slow down! I've not finished Shinobi yet!

Am I right in thinking that the MD Strider had an ending, but the arcade doesn't?
          I remember being quite moved by the shot of a windswept Strider looking out across the parallax scrolling lights of the city as explosions go off and the empire's fortress crumbles as a metaphor for the end of their tyrannous reign.

The arcade had him sat on a whale or something?

Comment

Strider on the MD was incredible at the time and even now , just love the game and it features the best and coolest main character to a game ever . Loved the MD Japanese box art so much too

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Strider on the MD was incredible at the time and even now , just love the game and it features the best and coolest main character to a game ever . Loved the MD Japanese box art so much too
              Yes! The euro box art wasn't so awesome....a kind of Costner-esque effort.

Comment

So, it turns out Shinobi's trainer was behind the Zeed terrorist organisation! *gasp*
                I think it's his dad...

Anyway, on to Strider.

I love Strider, but do you think they pack too much in?
                The first level sees you hang-gliding in then fighting soldiers, flying drones, walking drones, dwarf robots, turrets, machine gunners and strongmen.

It just feels a little rushed. That muscleman in the room where the roof falls to the floor and sets fire is a really interesting concept but he seems to burst in seconds after confronting him. Same goes for the guy on the gun turret. They've done all these animations of empty bullet cases flying out, but you barely register as you zip past them all to face the giant robot centipede made of council members (as you do).

Or maybe the constant set pieces are what makes the game? Are there more in the earlier stages, do you think? The dino one seems a little sparse in comparison.

Comment

I see what you mean, I think the variety is one of its strengths and agree more could be made out of them

Comment

It's worth remembering that it was an arcade game. Capcom wanted people to play, play again, play many times and die quickly.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it's a strength that so many things are happening so fast and a real incentive to make you come back for more to see what's next. I should be seeing it from the arcade perspective, really.

Level 2: Wolves; robo-gorilla; vertical ascent; giant cogs; lightning storm; ED-209s; transport ships; bombs; flying battleship; cannons; erm... flipping ballet dancers?

OK, random fact of the day. I Just found an Easter egg on level 3.
                      If you climb past some artillery shells, a tiny panda appears in one of the cannon hatches, does a little dance, then disappears.

Strider's designer, Kouichi Yotsui, was asked about this recently and said:
                      "The graphic staff and planners will sometimes conspire against the planner and put something in without his knowledge. For Strider, someone put a panda in the battleship’s cannon room without my knowing. The person who did that later became Keiji Inafune’s wife, fully supporting her husband’s success.”
                      So, the japester who snuck in the dancing panda into Strider went on to marry Mega Man character designer and Onimusha/Resident Evil producer Keiji Inafune!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Yeah, I guess it's a strength that so many things are happening so fast and a real incentive to make you come back for more to see what's next. I should be seeing it from the arcade perspective, really

It's more that you tend to miss stuff when you play, and only notice it on subsequent plays. Strider is a difficult game by the standards of the era; people weren't expected to get very far, so there's loads of variety in every frame allowing you to notice something different each time you play level 1.

Comment

New Battle of the Ports - Hard Drivin'

Comment

Have some many happy memories of playing this game in the Arcades . Remember a trip with the local Club down to Barry Island (back in the good old days like Clubs used to run trips to the seaside ) and playing this with my mates down the Arcade and we were totally blown away by it .

Always was rather impressed with the ST port as well

Comment

Wow, this game was a giant turd, I don't remember it beeing that bad. The ST had a very good port though.

Why do you keep using the 8:7 ratio on the SNES videos? Should switch it to 4:3.

Comment

Saturn's port of Race Drivin is unplayable garbage, the controls are terrible!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X