No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listen to the echo/reverb all over Goof Troop. It becomes so much clearer when you remove interpolation in an emulator.

Comment

I quickly made a comparison video to show the reverb Capcom used after the world warrior.
      I removed all filters to help make it stand out a bit more.
      My opinion, it totally ruined it.

Last edited by Solar; 23-06-2014, 18:03.

Comment

I see what you mean now. It certainly doesn't sound half as pronounced as in that Street Fighter video but it is there. I guess it depends on your setup. On a TV the reverb will sound harsh on higher pitched sounded such as the cymbal crashes. On my system it sounds crisper and much fuller, like there are more audio channels than the original SF2. I think they used much more obvious stereo widening too as the original sounded almost mono at times.

As for other Capcom games, like the sound in games like Ghouls and Ghosts, Goof Troop and Area 88. However I found a lot of their other titles sounded rather muffled, especially compared to the crispness offered by Nintendo, Konami and Squaresoft.

Comment

Check out the audio used for the 1st world map in Konami's Madara 2. man, that was good. Also, Spiral Nemesis 2 by Atlus has some fantastic audio too.

Comment

Yakumo, I have an idea for you for a future video, take it or leave it.

As someone that has always liked 2D fighters and arcade games, I've spent many hours playing games by both Capcom and SNK.

However, whereas Capcom have generally gone from strength to strength (interspersed with periods of financial woes), SNK went bankrupt back in 2000 and now, the company which bears their name and owns their IP, though it has some of the staff, is technically a different company.

SNK and Capcom, I feel, have a shared identity - partially due to how there are developers who worked at both companies. So why did SNK go bust, and Capcom survive?

There are many reasons. Some point to Megaman, and others to Resident Evil. Certainly, Capcom adapted well to the demands of the home 32-bit era, whereas SNK did not. However, I've always thought there's another reason why SNK went under.

I think a large part of it is that whereas Capcom's home ports vary, the main 16-bit ones (Megadrive and SNES) were extremely playable, well-made conversions - whereas SNK's home versions of Fatal Fury et al for the MD and SNES were poor, and as a result, the SNK brand never picked up the groundswell of popularity in the west that Capcom did with the likes of Street Fighter and Final Fight.

So, I guess what this would mean is a comparison of the arcade versions and home versions of several key games from each developer.

On the Capcom side, you could go with Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Final Fight and something else from that era.
            On the SNK side, you could compare Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, plus maybe something else.

Just thought it'd be an interesting idea.

Comment

There is a Fatal Fury Special show in the works. I actually own originals of that on the Neo Geo, SFC, Mega Drive and PC Engine Arcade CD. It won't be the next video but will follow it.

Your idea is good but for a full time working guy with a 7 year old boy it's just too much work In the past I would have done that without a second thought but thesedays it's hard enough doing normal Battle of the port shows
              Last edited by Yakumo; 27-06-2014, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Yakumo, I have an idea for you for a future video, take it or leave it.

As someone that has always liked 2D fighters and arcade games, I've spent many hours playing games by both Capcom and SNK.

However, whereas Capcom have generally gone from strength to strength (interspersed with periods of financial woes), SNK went bankrupt back in 2000 and now, the company which bears their name and owns their IP, though it has some of the staff, is technically a different company.

SNK and Capcom, I feel, have a shared identity - partially due to how there are developers who worked at both companies. So why did SNK go bust, and Capcom survive?

There are many reasons. Some point to Megaman, and others to Resident Evil. Certainly, Capcom adapted well to the demands of the home 32-bit era, whereas SNK did not. However, I've always thought there's another reason why SNK went under.

I think a large part of it is that whereas Capcom's home ports vary, the main 16-bit ones (Megadrive and SNES) were extremely playable, well-made conversions - whereas SNK's home versions of Fatal Fury et al for the MD and SNES were poor, and as a result, the SNK brand never picked up the groundswell of popularity in the west that Capcom did with the likes of Street Fighter and Final Fight.

So, I guess what this would mean is a comparison of the arcade versions and home versions of several key games from each developer.

On the Capcom side, you could go with Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Final Fight and something else from that era.
                On the SNK side, you could compare Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, plus maybe something else.

Just thought it'd be an interesting idea.
                SNK had one trick and that was 2d, capcom branched out at the right time, and also had street fighter out anually, especially back in the ps1/saturn era...

I honestly think its that simple.

Resi was massive and street fighter remained popular until around 2000 globally...and again post 2009.

Comment

New Battle of the Ports - Shinobi

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Shinobi was one of my all time fav games when I was a kid, I had it on the SMS, and as you can see in this video the SMS port wins by a mile.
                      SMS is/was such an underrated system.

Comment

What genre are games like Shinobi?

What do people rate the highest? Shinobi, Rolling Thunder, Shadow Dancer, Chelnov etc?

I'm off to watch Yakumo's video!

Inevitably, I'll do what I always do, get about 5 minutes in, then download the arcade ROM to play on my phone!

Comment

Revenge of Shinobi is the standout game in the genre for me. Shinobi 3 is really good as well too.

Comment

Yeah everyone raves about 3 but I really like Revenge

Comment

I didn't like Revenge at all, too cheap. Love Shinobi 3 though. Really need to get the 3DS version.

Comment

Which is the one with the horse, and the jet-powered surfboard?

Comment

Working...
                                X