No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you could improve the control on the Dreamcast version pretty easy by going into the options menu.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
      I think you could improve the control on the Dreamcast version pretty easy by going into the options menu.
      You can change the controls but not improve them to what they should be. I spent years playing the original arcade then the Saturn version which both controlled like a dream. Then came the US Championship edition. That controlled like crap. The Japanese release sort of fixed this but not 100%. The DC version is the worst though. I hear that using a wheel fixes the problem but since most people use a controller it's not really a viable solution to fixing twitchy controls.

Comment

Yea I can only find it on the USA PSN. How annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
          Yea I can only find it on the USA PSN. How annoying.
          It is on the UK one - I bought it in a sale a little while back.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
            Even with that , it doesn't control great and the AI is rubbish compared to the Arcade or the Saturn AM#2 version imo

Comment

I loved the Saturn original. It looked ropey but it plays so well and frankly I find the rough visuals charming.

Comment

I stil say the Saturn version is the best home version , it controls the best and I love the extra's and the Saturn music . It's a shame that AM#2 never went back to the game and released a improved Saturn version their self's after they got more used to the Saturn and did amazing things with VC and VF II. I also sort of wish AM#2 get the car limit to 16 (like in the early code) rather than window the rushed Saturn orginial

Comment

Yakumo, any chance of covering Mortal Kombat in a future episode of BotP?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    I stil say the Saturn version is the best home version , it controls the best and I love the extra's and the Saturn music . It's a shame that AM#2 never went back to the game and released a improved Saturn version their self's after they got more used to the Saturn and did amazing things with VC and VF II. I also sort of wish AM#2 get the car limit to 16 (like in the early code) rather than window the rushed Saturn orginial
                    Compared to it I don't really enjoy the DC game much. It feels stale oddly and don't play as well.

Comment

Whilst I look upon the Saturn version with great fondness, I personally find the new PS3 version to be definitive.

That being said, I owned the Saturn version at the time, and looking at it, it really is a hell of an achievement. It lacks the smoothness of the PS1 Ridge Racer but I'd argue that's because it does more visually. It may be rough, but it really does play just like the arcade version, and bears the hallmarks of a team that sacrificed everything possible in order to preserve that. They could've probably made something which looked better but played poorly.

Time certainly has not been kind to Championship Circuit Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Yakumo, any chance of covering Mortal Kombat in a future episode of BotP?
                        I could do but to tell the truth I really don't like the series that much. Probably because I'm rubbish at it If there is enough interest though I will do it.

Comment

Well thanks to the latest BotP I caved and picked up the PS3 version of Daytona. It really does hold up so well and it evokes so many memories of playing it back in the day. It just looks so vibrant in HD, I doubt if you could get a better version of the game. Just spent a hour trying to come first on the advanced track, could only manage 2nd.

Comment

Saturn Daytona plays fantastic but looks crap. Saturn Sega Rally plays fantastic & looks fantastic so thats the racer i spent all my Saturn time on.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              I could do but to tell the truth I really don't like the series that much. Probably because I'm rubbish at it If there is enough interest though I will do it.
                              The SNES version of MK is really underrated. Yes not a great game overall but too much focus was on the lack of gore rather than the overall quality of the port.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
                                Saturn Daytona plays fantastic but looks crap. Saturn Sega Rally plays fantastic & looks fantastic so thats the racer i spent all my Saturn time on.
                                I know what you mean, though it's worth remembering that Daytona pre-dates the Saturn Rally by quite a long time. They were never really contemporary.

It's more interesting to compare Rally to Daytona CCE, as that's essentially Daytona USA remade in the Saturn Sega Rally's engine (I think). CCE was grounded more closely in the Saturn's native abilities (unlike the original, which works somehow in spite of them), so it looks worse in many respects than the arcade version, but is technically superior (higher FPS, better draw distance, 2-player mode and such). Shame the handling was poor and, most importantly, they took away the animated clouds on the car's windows (which I think are as important to Daytona as rings are to Sonic).
                                Last edited by Asura; 05-11-2014, 11:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X