No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about that, there's something about Altered Beast I like, the transformations are cool and some of the music is decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      That's also on the list The current list of shows I will be covering stands at 50 odd titles but there's also another list of titles I'm considering which Mortal Kombat was part of but now has jumped to the top of the list for the next show Not looking forward to playing so many versions of a game I don't like though
      Nice one - I'll look forward to watching the Altered Beast one - I quite like the game, but some ports were very difficult to control, like the PC Engine one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Note that I only suggested MK1 as that was ported everywhere (not necessarily the case for the sequels) and is more historically relevant as it was the first truly popular SF2 alternative.

MK Trilogy is, to all intents and purposes, just a premium version of MK3.
        More like this then.

Very easy to find on youtube Mortal Kombat has been done to death over the years, lots of fans to so there is plenty of comparisons.

I'm in agreement SNES port was the best if you don't count the recent 360 release or the bonus disc that came with Mortal Kombat Deception on the PS2. (Which Yakumo doesn't know about, so if I don't point it out now he will not include it.)
        Last edited by S3M; 11-11-2014, 09:11.

Comment

You have a problem with MK? Altered Beast is a truly dreadful game though.
          Yeah but Altered Beast is so crap it's worth playing if you know what I mean. It's also one of the first games I played on my Mega Drive so it has a bit of nostalgia.

Oh and yes I didn't know about that PS2 disc but still won't cover it unless I can find an ISO of the game and that my PC can run PS2 emulation as my PS2 console isn't chipped.
          Last edited by Yakumo; 11-11-2014, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            I don't know about that, there's something about Altered Beast I like, the transformations are cool and some of the music is decent.
            No. Altered Beast is awful. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Musically, it is light years away from Sega Sound Team's greatest compositions.

That said, I'll say that the coin-op's ending is clever. This makes the MD version even worse though as it was left out.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-11-2014, 10:49.

Comment

Altered Beast I find to be a bit of a curio these days, as the first Megadrive game. Other than that, I struggle to find much to like about it.

Bizarre, really, as I remember playing it on a demo unit in Comet at the time, and freaking loving it.

Someone's going to be along to tell me soon that it wasn't the first Megadrive game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Someone's going to be along to tell me soon that it wasn't the first Megadrive game.
                It was a launch title in the US and Europe, but not in Japan.
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

For me, Altered Beast just sums up the fact that Sega were lazy when it came to porting their coin-op titles to the MD.

All of them should've been much better than they were.

Comment

No. Altered Beast is awful. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Musically, it is light years away from Sega Sound Team's greatest compositions.

That said, I'll say that the coin-op's ending is clever. This makes the MD version even worse though as it was left out.
                    But altered beast was a JPN MD launch game so at the time was amazing to see, having only previously seen Mastersystem and Nes...first sight (if memory is correct) of 16bit in action

Comment

Let's face it, Altered Beast in the arcade was turd too. It's just not a very good game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        Let's face it, Altered Beast in the arcade was turd too. It's just not a very good game.
                        Oh I'm not saying that the coin-op was great by any means. Far, far, FAR from it.

Comment

Oh I'm not saying that the coin-op was great by any means. Far, far, FAR from it.
                          Oh, I know. I'm just saying that Altered Beast no matter what format you play is pretty crap. The PC Engine version reaches an all new layer of crapness though

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                            But altered beast was a JPN MD launch game so at the time was amazing to see, having only previously seen Mastersystem and Nes...first sight (if memory is correct) of 16bit in action
                            It was a great port with better speech (high quailty samples for a Mega Drive game) more pallarx scrolling than the Arcade version and some decent music . Not bad for a 4 Meg 1st gen MD title I was more than happy with the game back in 89 .

Comment

You can't seriously be suggesting that the voice sampling in MD Altered Beast is better than that in the coin-op?

Comment

You can't seriously be suggesting that the voice sampling in MD Altered Beast is better than that in the coin-op
                                Yes the Coin Up 'Welcome to your doom' and boss laughing sounds like it was done by some drag Artist . The Mega Drive speech for those parts are much better with some real venom used for the 'Welcome to your doom' speech . I also liked the boos appearing and disaperaring sound effects more inthe MD version too
                                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-11-2014, 10:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X