No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah Densha de Go! Playing these games is like bringing a part of the Japanese train network back home with you. The nostalgia with travelling on the Yamanote Line is so strong that I had to get Densha de Go! Final on PS2. I even bought a Yamanote Line train money box that plays the different platform jingles whenever you put money into the slot. It even lights up! I have Railfan but to my shame I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      All new video - Battle of the Ports - Densha de Go!

Never played any of the Densha de Go! games before so gave it a quick try on MAME.

They are more fun than I was expecting, controls are really easy to understand as well, so might pick up one of the home ports now. I see the Saturn port was farmed out to Takara which would explain why it's a bit rubbish looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        You'll be happy to know that Rainbow Islands is on the to do list I'm looking forward to doing that one myself .
        Well that should be interesting. The C64 version is excellent, the Amiga version sublime, and really only missing the three secret islands (sadly).
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I remember playing the Amiga version as a 12 year old at my mates house. I seem to remember liking it. I own the Mega Drive version myself which is also pretty good.

Comment

I had the Amiga version along with the New Zealand story. What a Christmas that was.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
              I had the Amiga version along with the New Zealand story. What a Christmas that was.
              Yeah, Rainbow Islands & The New Zealand Story were expertly ported to the Amiga. Both show how capable the machine is when it comes to porting arcade games, because the graphics and sound are both top notch. Rod Land also ported well to the machine. Not forgetting B.C. Kid(aka PC Kid/Bonk) which also showed that the Amiga could run top Japanese platform games really well.

I'll never forget how much I enjoyed The New Zealand story back in the day. One of my favourite Amiga titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                Rod Land also ported well to the machine. Not forgetting B.C. Kid(aka PC Kid/Bonk) which also showed that the Amiga could run top Japanese platform games really well.
                I had Rodland too. Ahh great games and memories.

Comment

You asked for it so here it is

Comment

Did anyone else watch that with a little more interest that usual? Specifically, to see if Yakumo could do any fatalities or not?

Thanks for doing that. Might hunt out a gamegear version of this. I have MK1 and 2 all on one Gameboy cart. A quick google says that MK3 came out on Gameboy as well.

Comment

Dat Master System port! Brings back memories of facing off against Goro with Scorpion and only having to do one simple spear hook to get a perfect on him. After you hook him all he does is stand there doing nothing until you let the timer run out. Amazing programming.

Comment

Sorry, not having that the SNES port of MK1 is slower than MD MK1. It is CLEARLY the other way around - the MD port plays like sh1t off of a shovel

Nor is it true that the MD version plays more like the coin-op than the SNES port - again, clearly the other way around.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-02-2015, 00:30.

Comment

Haha! Can't wait to watch this now!

Comment

Funny how the SNES port is pretty much better than the mega cd version

Shame it didnt have the blood as it was pretty much spot on

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                              Funny how the SNES port is pretty much better than the mega cd version
                              The MCD was just an expansion to the MD though, it never really offered any thing more than extra storage and a slightly better sound chip. It was still limited to the Mega Drive's 9bit colour and other stuff.
                              It was the 32x that offered any real improvements.

@Nu, yeah you are right, I put it down to the emulator he is using. SNES played much better.

Comment

The SNES port is superb, despite the game not being great overall. Love the music in the SNES game too. So much atmosphere.
                                I love the whole mythology of the first two games.

Comment

Working...
                                X