No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a load of rubbish, and I think you know it is deep down.

At least you can clearly understand what's being said in the coin-op. You can barely make out the speech in the MD port! There is a reason that people still think that it's "WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!" after all these years, and it isn't complimentary.

As rubbish as Altered Beast is, coin-op SFX > MD port SFX every single time.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-11-2014, 10:22.

Comment

Are they exactly the same voice samples?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Are they exactly the same voice samples?
        If they are, it really doesn't sound like it.

Comment

You can barely make out the speech on the MD port! There is a reason that people think that it's "WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!", and it isn't complimentary
          Play the Arcade version the speech of Rise From Your Grave is hardly great in that and The MD version feature's far better speech for the Boss sections imo.

As rubbish as Altered Beast is, coin-op SFX > MD port SFX every single time, and I think you know this
          In 99% of the time yes (but there again SEGA Arcade music sounded better than almost all home systems around at the time) . But I much rather the music in the MD version of Ghost 'N' Ghouls
          Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-11-2014, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            It was a great port with better speech (high quailty samples for a Mega Drive game) more pallarx scrolling than the Arcade version and some decent music . Not bad for a 4 Meg 1st gen MD title I was more than happy with the game back in 89 .
            Yeah I thought it impressive at the time. Also nice crisp sprites present. Not a bad little action title really

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Play the Arcade version the speech of Rise From Your Grave is hardly great in that and The MD version feature's far better speech for the Boss sections imo.
              Not being funny, but I think it is you who needs to go back and replay the coin-op. Coin-op Altered Beast has clearer and crisper speech sampling by miles. It's not even a comparison.

The MD port's voice sampling is a garbled, scrambled mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                Not being funny, but I think it is you who needs to go back and replay the coin-op. Coin-op Altered Beast has clearer and crisper speech sampling by miles. It's not even a comparison.

The MD port's voice sampling is a garbled, scrambled mess.
                To coin a phrase (pun intended) " Here we go again". I've no need to play the Arcade game. I played it to death in the Arcades and quite enjoyed playing it again on the 360 . Just a couple of things never ever said the Mega Drive speech was more clearer , just said the MD version had the better speech for the boss sections which to me it has

Comment

I've had a listen to both of those videos above and yes, the arcade version does sound better for the most part regarding clarity including the "Welcome to your doom" speech but the Mega Drive is far from a garbled mess. It's actually not that bad and I honestly do think the "Welcome to your doom" speech is voiced better. It's not clearer but it does have better character.

Comment

It wasn't a very good game, especially when one of the white animals got past you, but it was very cool to get so noticeably bigger and even more so to change into the beasts.

There was no way at all of recovering any health.

I do quite like the GBA update.

Comment

It's Saturday so that means another Battle of the Ports

this time it's JuJu Densetsu or better known as Toki

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        It's Saturday so that means another Battle of the Ports

this time it's JuJu Densetsu or better known as Toki

An excellent choice for this week's BotP Yakumo.

One of the most underrated arcade platformers ever. An excellent coin-op not done the justice it deserves due to too many shoddy home ports.

STILL waiting for the HD remastering that was promised, but appears to have been sent to development hell, by Golgoth Studios a few years back.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-11-2014, 10:32.

Comment

Yeah, I mentioned a little about the HD remake in the YouTube video description. God knows if that will ever get released. What is annoying though is that I missed out the Lynx port even though I had it ready and set for recording. How on earth I forgot about it is a mystery.

Comment

Ah, you found a C64 crack that retained the BGM I see. Perhaps crackers today have figured around the memory problems which is why the original C64 release back in the day was cartridge only. The early disk cracks had to sacrifice the in-game music because there was not enough free memory space to have the loader code and anything else present at the same time.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

So that's why it didn't have music at first. I though it was so odd since the title screen did have music but the main game didn't.

Comment

Indeed. It was one of those times where you really did get an inferior experience with a disk crack over the cartridge original. The game is effectively using MORE than 64k in some parts I believe (and yes, that is possible).
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X