Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Man, I played loads of that as a kid. It was an awesome game.
    You're not the only one. It certainly was an awesome game!

Cabal, Toki, Blood Bros...it's a damn shame that TAD Corporation didn't last longer in the arcade scene.

Comment

BOTP - Cabal - Show #47

I'll be on holiday over the Christmas season so to keep everyone's Battle of the Ports hunger down I'm uploading this new show today and another this coming Saturday (20th December). The next following show probably won't be until January 10th 2015.

Please think about supporting the show by becoming my patron. Thanks so much!
      Patreon is empowering a new generation of creators. Support and engage with artists and creators as they live out their passions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PC USERS USE CHROME BROWSER TO SEE THIS VIDEO IN 720p 60FPS

It's a TAD Corporation arcade game from 1988 with no story what so ever, it's Cabal.

Time Code

00:26 - Arcade
      01:56 - Atari ST
      03:55 - ZX Spectrum
      05:33 - Famicom / NES
      07:14 - Amstrad CPC
      08:38 - Amiga
      10:46 - Commodore 64 (UK version)
      12:23 - Commodore 64 (US version)

Enjoy!

Info (Wikipedia)
      Cabal is a 1988 arcade video game originally developed by TAD Corporation and published in Japan by Taito Corporation and in North America and Europe by Fabtek. In this game, the player controls a commando, viewed from behind, trying to destroy various enemy military bases. The game was innovative for the era, and a modest success in sales.

Comment

Nice one Mark! I remember Cabal like yesterday! I think I preferred Nam1975, my birth year

Cabal was very popular in the arcades though

Comment

I sank many a penny into Cabal at the local arcade. Can't believe I haven't played any of the home ports. Need to fire up the Miggy.
          NAM1975 is probably the only other game I can think of that was similar.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            I sank many a penny into Cabal at the local arcade. Can't believe I haven't played any of the home ports. Need to fire up the Miggy.
            NAM1975 is probably the only other game I can think of that was similar.
            Blood Bros. was released in 1990 and was the arcade-only follow up to Cabal - Cabal in the Wild West.

Wild Guns also appeared on the SNES a couple of years later.

Comment

The last BOTP for 2014 - Parodius

The last BOTP for 2014 and quite a colourful one for the Christmas season. This is Parodius. The next BOTP will be released on January 10th 2015 as I'll be on holiday until then. So a Merry Christmas to all and thanks for supporting the show this year. Loads more still to come next year.

Please think about supporting the show by becoming my patron. Thanks so much!
              Patreon is empowering a new generation of creators. Support and engage with artists and creators as they live out their passions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PC USERS USE CHROME BROWSER TO SEE THIS VIDEO IN 720p 60FPS

Time Code

00:24 - Arcade
              04:24 - PC Engine
              08:20 - Super Famicom / SNES
              11:40 - PlayStation
              15:01 - Famicom / NES
              17:46 - Sharp X68000
              20:14 - Game Boy
              22:59 - Sega Saturn
              Enjoy!
              Last edited by Yakumo; 20-12-2014, 09:00.

Comment

YAY one of my fave series

Comment

And best of all there are no ****ty ports this week. Probably because there are no European home computer ports

Comment

Wish Konami would go back to Parodius it's been a long time since they made one. I always found the series to be full of imagination & fun, loved the later one on Playstation in 2 player mode where you could shoot each other and they would freak out turning invincible and spewing out hundreds of bullets taking everything out.

On a real gameboy the flicker is not as bad as in the video, Parodius uses a weird flicker speed where the op trap & options appear translucent, on emulators it struggles to show it properly. Remember importing that sucker back in the day for gameboy, loved having a portable version of it.

Comment

KonamI's Otomious (sp?) games were **** IMO. I owned both on the 360 and neither was as good as Parodius and the 2nd game was even more dull than the original one Sold both they were that dull to play. The Parodius games were just fantastic as you say.

Comment

Battle of the Ports is back

Comment

AND I WAS CORRECT!!

Comment

Yep, you sure we're

Comment

Love the running animation on the Spectrum version. It's more as if he's bursting for a pee than fighting his way through a hostile world.

Might try to find the Lynx version of this game. For some reason I've always liked to have games that were featured on the boxes of their consoles but weren't pack-in games.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                                Love the running animation on the Spectrum version. It's more as if he's bursting for a pee than fighting his way through a hostile world.
                                haha, he sure does.

Comment

Working...
                                X