Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Glad someone likes my typos
    Great. Now they're going to continue...!

Comment

New Battle of the Ports - Darius II

Enjoy.

PS: Before anyone mentions that the GameBoy version is missing, there's a reason for that. The GB version of Darius isn't Darius II but more of a remix of Darius games.

Comment

Due to popular request - BOTP Mortal Kombat II

Next week I'll be covering another much requested title from Japan.

Comment

SNES/SFC MK1 was superior to MD MK1.

This remains the case with SNES/SFC MK2, slowdown (which was minimal at worst) or not.

Comment

Indeed. SNES MK2 was a great version of a game I quite liked. Still not a great fighter but much better than the first.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Slowdown of any type in a 1 on 1 fighter is a big no, no.
              Just for the record I played the SFC version back in the day. I never did play MKII on a Mega Drive until recently but I do think the MD version plays better. But saying that the DOS and Saturn versions are the best none emulated ports anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Doesn't matter. Slowdown of any type in a 1 on 1 fighter is a big no, no.
                Just for the record I played the SFC version back in the day. I never did play MKII on a Mega Drive until recently but I do think the MD version plays better. But saying that the DOS and Saturn versions are the best none emulated ports anyway.
                Might want to research up on MK2 next time that video is horrible and no the Saturn version is terrible. Were you recording it via emulator?

Half the speak sound effect are missing, every first special move of the match triggers a load, playing as Shang Tsung also forces the game to run at a lower resolution when you play as him, it's awful.

SNES version has very little slow down, where are the Mega Drive version is running at a lower fps and missing animation. Bit of Sega bias slipping in I felt, SNES version is the best by far.

The reason the Arcade volume is so low is that by default all Midway games have the sound set to low, you have to go into the dipswitches and increase the volume from there.

Comment

Going by that video, SNES also miles faster. I've not played the MD game in a while but remember SNES being hugely superior.

Always a risk when using emulators. Still really enjoy the videos.

Comment

All versions of MKII are crap IMO because I don't like the game And as a teenager I played ONLY the SFC version. But I do think that the MD version plays faster and smoother. I don't care for the online facts, just what I felt when playing the games.

The Saturn game was played from real hardware too. No emulation at all. I had the Framemeister's scan lines set to the wrong setting for my Capture card which is why it looks a little odd I guess. I also know that the Saturn and PlayStation versions are missing speech. The DOS version would be the best IMO but the music is pretty poor.
                    Originally posted by S3M View Post
                    Might want to research up on MK2 next time that video is horrible and no the Saturn version is terrible. Were you recording it via emulator?

Half the speak sound effect are missing, every first special move of the match triggers a load, playing as Shang Tsung also forces the game to run at a lower resolution when you play as him, it's awful.

SNES version has very little slow down, where are the Mega Drive version is running at a lower fps and missing animation. Bit of Sega bias slipping in I felt, SNES version is the best by far.

The reason the Arcade volume is so low is that by default all Midway games have the sound set to low, you have to go into the dipswitches and increase the volume from there.

Comment

Battle of the Ports Show 58 - The NewZealand Story

Last edited by Yakumo; 15-03-2015, 10:46.

Comment

One of my favourite games and the first import I ever bought was the MD version. Out of all the versions I've owned the Master System version is still the one I go back to most often. It is a brilliant port and I'm glad this BotP video shows that. TecMagik really knew how to get the most out of the venerable MS. Shame they were restricted to a two megabit cart a bit more space would have allowed the cut content to be restored.

Comment

Agreed. That's the only reason why the Master System version is missing so much stuff. If a 4mbit cart was used I can imagine it being way better than the PC Engine version. Well, maybe not in the audio department.

Comment

It's taken me until now to spot one of the kiwis is smoking in the arcade intro

Stage 20... yeesh, gives me nightmares thinking about trying to get through it heh. Amiga was always a great version too, and the C64 not bad either.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm kind of amazed by the master system version, it totally craps on the famicom one but i have a feeling that was poorly made and the famicom can do a bit better than that but nowhere near the level the master system hit it at. NZ story is pretty fun but i always found the later levels frustrating where they turn into pretty large mazes and i always end up getting pretty lost.

Any plans to do bubble bobble Mark? There's like a ton of ports of that one, it would be interesting to see.

Comment

Bobble Bobble is on the list it will be coming soon but not next week. Next week we have a classic shooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X