No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not intended as a criticism at all Yakumo, but I hope in the future you can cover some more games that have good, bad, different and crap ports.

I think some of your most entertaining videos tend to go like so:

Arcade version
    Home version 1: Good
    Home version 2: Good
    Home version 3: Slightly different game inspired by the original
    Home version 4: Poor
    Home version 5: Poor
    Home version 6: Dear god

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      That show was dangerous to do as I didn't want to upset PC Engine fans.
      I don't know why you're worried about that now - you're the guy who poo-pooed PCE R-Type on this very thread!
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-04-2015, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Not intended as a criticism at all Yakumo, but I hope in the future you can cover some more games that have good, bad, different and crap ports.

I think some of your most entertaining videos tend to go like so:

Arcade version
        Home version 1: Good
        Home version 2: Good
        Home version 3: Slightly different game inspired by the original
        Home version 4: Poor
        Home version 5: Poor
        Home version 6: Dear god
        Sure, it all depends on the game being covered. In the last video all the posts were Japanese so the worst one we had was Micronics and their Famicom version. The next game to be covered will have some western ports so the crap is sure to be there

I don't know why you're worried about that now - you're the guy who poo-pooed PCE R-Type on this very thread!
        So true

Comment

So true
          And you're still wrong about PCE R-Type. It is a fantastic port!

Comment

Comment

BOTP - ESWAT!

Comment

I can't help but get the feeling that BOTP has become Arcade and MD vs every thing else.
                You seem to favorite games that always had MD as the best version, and only 1 of your videos that I remember didn't have a MD version on it.

Not being an arse, it's just the feeling that I get from the recent videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                  I can't help but get the feeling that BOTP has become Arcade and MD vs every thing else.
                  You seem to favorite games that always had MD as the best version, and only 1 of your videos that I remember didn't have a MD version on it.

Not being an arse, it's just the feeling that I get from the recent videos.
                  In fairmess, the MD was famous at the time for the quality/quantity of its arcade ports, just like the Saturn.

I think for most arcade titles of the era you're going to show off an MD version. Plus, Yakumo doesn't usually cover videos where a home version is not so much a conversion but rather a remake/reimagining of the same game (I think the recent Shadow Dancer one was the first where I saw him do that).

Comment

Yep, I can't help it if the Mega Drive versions are better than the other home ports. You should watch my Turbo Out Run video. The Mega Drive port of that is total arse. The Amiga version is better. But most of the time the Euro home computer ports are total crap thanks to poor developers or tight / low quality schedules. Nothing to do with not having the source code most of the time.

Comment

But most of the time the Euro home computer ports are total crap thanks to poor developers or tight / low quality schedules.
                      I strongly suspect that a major reason for this was pressure that the ports should look like the arcade version in screenshots, because that was all we had to go on. There was less of an emphasis of games that looked good moving. I bet if more of the devs had been given free reign to "make something similar", like Sega and their own console versions, we would've seen more variety and less crap.

Comment

But most of the time the Euro home computer ports are total crap thanks to poor developers or tight / low quality schedules.
                        I think its more to the developers of the Amiga/St games Ect not having no access to the source code or having anywhere near the team numbers and budgets Japan would give it console teams (even for ports). Plus the likes of SEGA Consumer Teams not all had full acess to the code , they could just walk into the next floor and speak to staff that actually made the Arcade versions .

Comment

Yakumo in wrong once again shocker!

Arcade ESWAT > All other ports.

It's really that simple, pet!

Comment

I say the Mega Drive version is a much better game than the Arcade version myself

Comment

And I say that the coin-op looks, sounds and plays better than a MD port that was needlessly altered beyond recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                And I say that the coin-op looks, sounds and plays better than a MD port that was needlessly altered beyond recognition.
                                Well seeing as it a SEGA Coin Up it was also going to look and sound better . I say that as a port the MD is rubbish (as it doesn't play like the Arcade) but as a game in it's own right I like the MD version far more than the Arcade.

Comment

Working...
                                X