No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't the whole point to say what the best port is of the original game? Therefore the original arcade can only be the best version. If the game is altered, even if it makes for a better game, it is not the best port as it has changed what the original premise is if the whole video, surely?

EDIT: Posted at same time as TA's comment above.

Comment

Wow you people can suck the fun out of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Well seeing as it a SEGA Coin Up

If you know that, then why bring it up for argument's sake then? Trolling much?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

If you know that, then why bring it up for argument's sake then? Trolling much?
          Well seeing as SEGA in the 80 and 90's always used High end tech , any home port for the main consoles would suffer even on the MD. Given the gulf in spec's and issues of ROM .

Comment

And yet the PCE was able to work wonders with less resources with titles like R-Type (for example).

Sorry, I'll always believe the MD could've and should've done better in terms of porting the classic Sega coin-ops. Yes, Super Hang-On, OutRun, Super Monaco GP, etc. all looked decent at the time, but there are considerable flaws in how they feel gameplay-wise.

Comment

And yet the PCE was able to work wonders with less resources with titles like R-Type (for example).

Sorry, I'll always believe the MD could've and should've done better in terms of porting the classic Sega coin-ops. Yes, Super Hang-On, OutRun, Super Monaco GP, etc. all looked decent at the time, but there are considerable flaws in how they feel gameplay-wise.
              Well R-Type on the PC Eng wasn't Arcade perfect but yes I'll say R-Type on the PC-Eng shamed the likes of R-Type on the Snes, but then Golden Axe and Alterest Beast ports are a joke on the PC-Eng and anyone expecting The MD to handle near perfect ports of OutRun given the coin Up used 3 6800 CPU's alone would be asking too much and its not like the Mega Drive didn't do great ports of Strider, Ghost N Ghouls and so on.

I

It seems to me, that you're the one trolling, when it comes to the MD

Comment

He's what? (old joke)

At least the comments about the C64 version are accurate

(although it's still a fairly cruddy port imo)
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It seems to me, that you're the one trolling, when it comes to the MD
                  Hardly.

Especially since I have a bloody MD sitting in my home at this very moment in time.

Comment

I think its more to the developers of the Amiga/St games Ect not having no access to the source code or having anywhere near the team numbers and budgets Japan would give it console teams (even for ports).
                    I don't agree for the simple reason that original games on the Amiga and ST can be amazing. They have no source code to build up on. They aren't made by big teams. Basically the arcade ports are all half arsed effort. There are a few exceptions though such as The Newzealand Story and Rainbow Islands but maybe that's because they weren't programmed by monkeys.

Anyway, THe MD version of ESWAT isn't the best port because it's not a port I do like it better as a game but that's a different story. I only featured it as I knew someone would mention "Where's the MD version"

The next show will feature the same game on the SFC and MD as well as many other systems. Which wil be the best then? I can tell you now it's not the MD or SFC versions
                    Last edited by Yakumo; 12-04-2015, 14:13.

Comment

Ever thought of doing the first wonderboy Mark? there are quite a few ports of the first game scattered over different hardware.

Comment

It's one that I have though about. I'll add it to the list for a future show. The next show will be a Game that was runnined I the west on both the Mega Drive and SNES. Or at least I think so

Comment

Hmm i'm intrigued, although it will be hard to guess as a lot of games were ruined in the west LOL

Comment

There are a few exceptions though such as The Newzealand Story and Rainbow Islands but maybe that's because they weren't programmed by monkeys.
                            Well port Tiertex made In-House was utter crap . But having full accesse to the sorce code will always help and some times people give the tast to port a Arcade game to the home computers had to go to Arcades and videotape the Arcade game they were porting.

Comment

Hardly.

Especially since I have a bloody MD sitting in my home at this very moment in time.
                              So ? I have a Wii in my home at this very time - Stil think the system sucks . Seems every time Yakumo does a Battle in you come having a pop at the MD.

Comment

So ? I have a Wii in my home at this very time - Stil think the system sucks . Seems every time Yakumo does a Battle in you come having a pop at the MD.
                                LOL. If you think that, that's your problem.

I still stand by what is my opinion (key word) - most in-house Sega ports on the MD suck.

And let's be honest - you're in no position whatsoever to judge what it seems I say and don't say, especially since you're expert at finding things I didn't say. Tell me, will you bring up COD yet again despite me never mentioning it beforehand?
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-04-2015, 19:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X