No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't change the fact that if you were in to that type of arcade gaming that the console versions were superior, making the import systems what should have been the natural choice.
    I think consoles are always better for Arcade gaming . It's a shame the Amiga never took off in the likes of Japan. It would have be great to see what the Top teams could have done on the system with ports . Consoles gamers can be just as bias too though, they was plenty of great stuff on the Amiga or the Spectrum which will always get desmissed by consoles fans and how the Japanese always did it better

I loved my Amiga and Zx Spectrum - both ace systems with ace games

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      Must play a good game? Looks decent but the colours seem lacking as per many Speccy titles? I had the Amstrad version at the time and that was seriously good, looked great too!
      The ZX Spectrum was the best imo - I'm sure it was the work of the great coder that is John O'Brien too - One of the best coders on the 8bit and 16 bit formats and never gets the credit he so richly deserves (C'Mon Retro gamer sort this injustice out lol)

Comment

And as I said, I had an Amiga too. My point more is aimed at the fact other people I knew with amigas, which let's remember were pretty expensive at the time, couldn't face the reality that the substantially cheaper consoles were outgunning them in many areas.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          And as I said, I had an Amiga too. My point more is aimed at the fact other people I knew with amigas, which let's remember were pretty expensive at the time, couldn't face the reality that the substantially cheaper consoles were outgunning them in many areas.
          8 of my best mates in school were Amiga and ST nerds and used to love to made fun of my Master System and well any consoles . I still laugh at seeing the smiles wiped off their faces the day they all called in to my house and I showed off Ghost N Ghouls, Strider and Super Hang-on running on my Imported Mega Drive ; They were all jaw dropped at Strider and how close it was to the Arcade .

Good times ,

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            PCE Chase H.Q. is terrible. It's probably the worst version.
            Amiga's port was by far the worse version of Chase H.Q. it was a lazy Atari ST port and was near impossible to finish without cheating.

If you so much as crashed or slowed down against the 5th and final car you wouldn't be able to catch him.

There's a long play on Youtube were even the guy who did it admits to using savestates to finish it. Would like to see him even try to finish it on a real Amiga and not a emulator. I still have my original Amiga copy as well, but I'll play the Saturn version over that pile of rubbish any day of the week.

Didn't realise C.S.I Chase H.Q. 2, got an Amiga port never saw that one in the shops looks a much better port however.
            Last edited by S3M; 16-08-2013, 12:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              Must play a good game? Looks decent but the colours seem lacking as per many Speccy titles? I had the Amstrad version at the time and that was seriously good, looked great too!
              That is the point of comparing ports though seeing which one gets the most out of a system. The speccy one played well, had good sound and music and even had daft menu animations with easter eggs. Hence why I rate stuff like master system r-type because it rings the neck out of the master. The same for speccy chase hq, they both push their respective systems to the limit.
              Last edited by vanpeebles; 16-08-2013, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                ,couldn't face the reality that the substantially cheaper consoles were outgunning them in many areas.
                and substanstially better Japanese programmers were making Western computer programmers look incompetent.

Seeing what some programmers did with the Amiga, it always made me wonder what a top Japanese dev could do with the hardware. I think a top Japanese shoot 'em up dev would have done wonders with the machine. Yuzo Koshiro with his hands on an Amiga... would have been a match made in audio heaven.

I think the Amiga was rarely taken full advantage of. Not many devs could make truly professional games with great graphics, awesome music, and exciting gameplay.

When I got into consoles with the NES in 1990, then the Mega Drive, Super Famicom etc... I realised what I had been missing out on. Japanese devs could make truly great games on any hardware given to them. I realised that Western gaming, on the whole, sucked in comparison. I was no longer going to be sucker!

Comment

That's a little harsh. Western developers were really good at certain types of games, strategy and adventure (graphic) games were generally superb. Racing games were also pretty good fun but overall Japanese games were better in many areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                    Seeing what some programmers did with the Amiga, it always made me wonder what a top Japanese dev could do with the hardware. I think a top Japanese shoot 'em up dev would have done wonders with the machine. Yuzo Koshiro with his hands on an Amiga... would have been a match made in audio heaven.

I think the Amiga was rarely taken full advantage of. Not many devs could make truly professional games with great graphics, awesome music, and exciting gameplay.
                    I often wondered this - one of my bugbears with Amiga gaming was that so often games weren't full-screen but instead restricted to a much smaller play area. When I was seeing friends with Megadrives enjoying full screen fast action games like Sonic I was always insanely jealous that almost nothing on the Amiga paralleled it. Yes, there were awesome games, but nothing quite on the same technical level - and I always felt it should have been possible with all that custom hardware. Possibly the hardware was just more limited than I wanted to believe.

Comment

The Amiga had great hardware for 1985. But the consoles were designed to play games and had dedicated hardware for scrolling, sprites and loads more audio channels. Look at Turrican 3 vs Mega Turrican for a good example.
                      Still developers extracted a lot from the Amiga.
                      We never saw many examples of what European demoscene guys could extract from the consoles but stuff like Rendering Ranger and Red Zone were mighty impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        Battle of the Ports Ghouls'n Ghosts is now on YouTube. The offocial site version will be coming in a few days.

Yeah loved that video.. Fair play to the master system version, it looked ace.

Comment

It's about time more people realised how good the Master System was. How about comparisons of stuff like Chuck Rock 2, Aladdin and Populous? All three were on loads of formats.

Comment

The next two shows have been decided and are in productions right now but for the 6th show I may concider them. The thing is I'd rather do arcade games first then move on to computer / console game ports / conversions.

Comment

Final Fight, Double Dragon or Shinobi I'm picking...

Comment

Have you been hacking my PC One of those is correct

Official site version of BOTP Ghouls'n Ghosts is out now with the standard 30fps 720p download and a special 60fps 720p download which is what the videos are originally recorded in.

Comment

Working...
                                X