No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could revisit that show in the future to give it tighter editing and so on. M thinking of redoing the Space Harrier show too some time in the future as there are a couple of versions missing.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      Your talking about Wonderboy and it's later sequel Wonderboy in Monsterland, later games became the Monster World series. Wonderboy adopted more RPG elements after the first arcade game.
      I remember that game vividly.

There are a bunch of games from my very early childhood that I remember extremely well, for different reasons - but very few before I got my first megadrive for my 10th birthday.

Wonderboy, on the other hand, I remember because it was the first game I played where you went on an adventure. I was very young (based on looking up the dates online, I think I was 6-7), and I'd played platformers, so I remember starting to play it as if it was a normal platform game. I remember being blown away by going inside a house in-game, then buying stuff from a shopkeeper, who spoke (well, text) - like, limited though it was, you had a conversation with a character. Then you left, and you went on, finding new items, meeting new characters, fighting your way through different levels... It was a real revelation to me.

There were other games from that era I remember, such as the arcade STUN Runner, or Supercars, but Wonderboy for the Amiga introduced me to the idea that games could be more than just tests of reflexes/skill, or purely visually exciting. I was an avid reader, and Wonderboy made me realise that games had the potential, maybe one day, to be like books - to transport you to far-off places, and meet exciting characters.

I suspect for a lot of people, Zelda did this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Indeed. I used to buy a lot of those Mastertronic games when I was a kid. Think they were 1.99 or sometimes 2.99. I also had Commando for my Commodore Plus 4 by Melbourne House from what I can remember. It was actually a C16 release but worked on the Plus 4. I'm going to have fun digging that out for the next BOTP.
        THIS!!

Comment

Well, found out there was another version of Commando for the Plus 4 which craps all over the C16 version. It's actually pretty close to the C64 release. I was impressed. Anyway, the next BOTP will feature 18 versions of Commando and that is excluding all the capcom packs on the PlayStation consoles and 360 since they are built upon the Saturn Ports. Not the arcade version from what I've read. Either way they wouldn't be getting featured anyway since I don't own them nore can emulate them well.

Comment

Well, found out there was another version of Commando for the Plus 4 which craps all over the C16 version. It's actually pretty close to the C64 release. I was impressed. Anyway, the next BOTP will feature 18 versions of Commando and that is excluding all the capcom packs on the PlayStation consoles and 360 since they are built upon the Saturn Ports. Not the arcade version from what I've read. Either way they wouldn't be getting featured anyway since I don't own them nore can emulate them well.
            Meh.

Not from a BoTP point of view, just from a Mercs is a superior game point of view.

Comment

Mercs is the better game by far with the Mega Drive version being the best as long as you don't mind playing solo. After that I'd go with the Saturn version.

Comment

And Desert Assault is only a notch below Mercs. Great Data East game.

Comment

I hadn't heard of that, Jaz. It looks great!

Comment

Me too. Going to have to check that out.

Comment

Yeah, it seems to have been missed by most people.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Meh.

Not from a BoTP point of view, just from a Mercs is a superior game point of view.
                        Shock Troopers 2nd Squad all the way, son.
                        Last edited by samanosuke; 03-07-2015, 20:50.

Comment

Have you done Final Fight? If not, I'd love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                            Have you done Final Fight? If not, I'd love to see it.
                            A long time ago check out the play list on my YouTube channel.
                            Last edited by Yakumo; 04-07-2015, 04:30.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              Shock Troopers 2nd Squad all the way, son.
                              Instant fail.

2nd Squad is a dire sequel. The original is comfortably superior.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 04-07-2015, 06:57.

Comment

Mercs is the better game by far with the Mega Drive version being the best as long as you don't mind playing solo. After that I'd go with the Saturn version.
                                Saturn version > MD version for me. Lack of 2P co-op tips it for me.

Though yes, the MD version isn't shabby by any means.

Comment

Working...
                                X