Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    Rage Racer didn't share tracks with Rave Racer. Two totally different games.
    Looks like I mis-read the wiki:

The game looks more realistic and has a darker color scheme, it takes a lot of this from the arcade game in the Ridge Racer series, Rave Racer
    I certainly can't remember the tracks well enough, though I know T4 had at least one Rave Racer track.

Comment

No Ridge Racer Type 4 had entirely new tracks. Rave Racer had two tracks from Ridge and two entirely new tracks.

Comment

So is Rave Racer playable in Mame these days?

-edit-
        Seems it is. Mame really has come a long way.
        Last edited by Cepp; 14-09-2015, 13:54.

Comment

Fascinating stuff, though would've been nice to have the DS version in there alongside the N64 version as I believe it was a port? Just curious to see how they both stack up alongside each other.

Was also fascinated by the Zeebo. Never heard of this before! It had a port of Resi 4???! And a curious-looking one at that!! I'm guessing it was more a "clear the area of baddies"-type of game, judging by what I Youtubed of it. And it had a Viewtiful Joe rip-off, could *do* Quake and had an action RPG on it that looked kinda cool and Japanesey?? Interesting, verrry interesting.

(Not tempted to buy one, btw, but nice to know about it )

Comment

I think if you go for a Zeebo (or Weebo as I miss typed it at the end of the show) I think it needs to be loaded with games since you can't download anything any more from what I know.

Comment

There's a YouTube vid I saw last night that says it has all the Zeebo games on it. Some look like OK PC/console ports, others like shovelware. But apart from that, I'm in the dark!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                No Ridge Racer Type 4 had entirely new tracks. Rave Racer had two tracks from Ridge and two entirely new tracks.
                Don't want to argue, but are you certain?

One of the urban tracks of RRT4 had a corkscrew bit that I remember being in Rave. Is there any chance it was the same layout, just different visuals?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Was also fascinated by the Zeebo. Never heard of this before! It had a port of Resi 4???! And a curious-looking one at that!! I'm guessing it was more a "clear the area of baddies"-type of game, judging by what I Youtubed of it. And it had a Viewtiful Joe rip-off, could *do* Quake and had an action RPG on it that looked kinda cool and Japanesey??
                  I found the video you mentioned, and it's a very strange mix of games. In particular the version of Tekken 2 actually looks very good (kinda like how I picture Tekken 2 would look on Dreamcast).

Many of the games are early iOS/late era experimental phone games. The "J"-RPG you mention is actually a Korean game called Xenonia; you can get that for iOS now, along with several sequels. It wasn't great, but was novel for being the first game of that type on iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Don't want to argue, but are you certain?

One of the urban tracks of RRT4 had a corkscrew bit that I remember being in Rave. Is there any chance it was the same layout, just different visuals?
                    Absolutely certain. No corkscrews in Rave.

Comment

The City and Mountain tracks from Rave Racer appear in Ridge Racers, not R4.

R4 is absolutely terrible. I have no idea why anybody even remotely likes it. The only good thing about it is that you get Ridge Racer Hi-Spec Ver. for free.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        R4 is absolutely terrible. I have no idea why anybody even remotely likes it.
                        It's one of my favourite games, at least it was. Pretty sure I did everything there was to do in it - I even like the music.

I think it's one of the best looking games on the PS1, also. Really liked the colour palette.

Comment

Yep, same for me. Even though I enjoyed Rage, R4 is the one that absolutely got it completely right for me. I played the ass out of that game. And the music is sublime.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                            Man, that is total ass. Sure, looks good in stills but in motion it's a joke.
                            You know damn well those graphics would have suckered anyone in. But sweet jesus I didn't realise it was that bad.

Comment

I think the next Battle Of The Ports will make someone very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                R4 is absolutely terrible. I have no idea why anybody even remotely likes it. The only good thing about it is that you get Ridge Racer Hi-Spec Ver. for free.
                                I've always adored the game. It has such bold and brave design decisions; they took the rave culture of 1990's Europe which is infused throughout the very circuit board of Ridge Racer and brought on the Sunday morning come down. It's pastel coloured race tracks combine with the ambient dance music to create a chilled out racer, something that's never once been replicated. Hazy skies, office blocks with only a few lights on, night time Japanese cities that have fireworks exploding in the far distance so you can admire across a inky blue sea, it's such a unique and beautiful racer.

I adore the game and won't tolerate any bull**** thrown at it!

Comment

Working...
                                X