Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    I'm not really convinced that Body Blows plays well!
    It was hardly great, but it moved at a decent pace, was pretty responsive and didn't have multiple discs (and consequently loaded a lot quicker).

Comment

It was slick but it was caaaaaaaaaaaack. Shiny, though. Rubbish game, hated it. But technically sound. Personal preference, mind. I'm sure it sold a fair few A1200s. Floaty. Horrendous character design and animation. Over-polished graphics to the point of ridiculousness. Shadow Fighter was cack as well but at least bore some semblance of being chunky...but had stoopid crap in it like 'Pupazz'. But was a valiant step in the right direction for 'Miga beaters.

Body Blows was the Lenny Henry of beat 'em ups.

Comment

What's particularly galling is that the Amiga CD32 version of SSF2X is just as crap.

Comment

Man, that is total ass. Sure, looks good in stills but in motion it's a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            What's particularly galling is that the Amiga CD32 version of SSF2X is just as crap.
            That doesn't surprise me. Weren't the bulk of CD32 games basically just multi-disc Amiga games put on CD, with a few marginal extras (higher sample rate sound effects etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              That doesn't surprise me. Weren't the bulk of CD32 games basically just multi-disc Amiga games put on CD, with a few marginal extras (higher sample rate sound effects etc.)?
              Don't be silly. Most of them offered eff all over the disk versions.

Comment

I had a CD32 and can indeed concur that most games on it were basically vanilla Amiga ports, 1200 ports if you were lucky. Certain games like Simon The Sorceror and Beneath A Steel Sky benefited from CD audio, and stuff like Microcosm used the CD format pretty extensively but you were often lucky to get even enhanced CD music.

Best disc I had on it was a mail order disc full of public domain games, tbh, and maybe Liberation. Which isn't saying much.

Comment

Black Dragon / Black Tiger Battle of the Ports is out now!

Comment

The C64 version looks like it would still be fun to play today.

Comment

Oh god!!!! Gonna save it for tonight when I can chill, gotta go get a haircut this afty!!! Cheers for listening, can't wait!!!!!

Comment

It's not really that hard being honest

Power up weapons first so when you get to face the arremer or a dragon they get taken out fairly quickly rather than them chasing you around the screen or running out of space on the left

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], it's Zenny, not Zeni.

But seriously, another fine BotP episode. I always did want to download the Wii Virtual Console Arcade port (emulation) but never got around to doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION], it's Zenny, not Zeni.

But seriously, another fine BotP episode. I always did want to download the Wii Virtual Console Arcade port (emulation) but never got around to doing so.
                            Zeni in this part of the world seriously though, I guess it would be spelt as Zenny in English. Sadly I was basing my spelling on the Japanese spelling

I'd get the Arcade download if you still can but go for the western versions as the Japanese one is really tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                              The C64 version looks like it would still be fun to play today.
                              It got a reasonable write-up in Zzap!64 (it actually outscored the Amiga version), the main complaint was that the original game wasn't that exciting to begin with, as opposed to it being a bad conversion. It certainly runs the fastest by a long way!
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Zeni in this part of the world seriously though, I guess it would be spelt as Zenny in English. Sadly I was basing my spelling on the Japanese spelling
                                That explanation strikes me as pretty dubious, given that I've seen Japanese versions of Capcom games that use the currency (like Lost Worlds) actually spell it as "ZENNY", but hey.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-09-2015, 15:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X