Finally Beat Revenge of Shinobi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Beat Revenge of Shinobi!

Not sure this needs a new thread, but, the retro section at this forum has always been the best!

When I owned this BITD, I always died at the dinosaur boss on stage 7. I could never figure it out.
    In recent times, I defeated the Dinosaur, but not in the correct fashion, which of course, led to confusion in me thinking its near impossible. It turns out, its the easiest boss in the game *holds head in embarrassment* glad at pushing 40 I could just about work it out.

Going to try and 1 man clear this now, its a perfect game to do so, and just enough challenge for me to think I've accomplished something.

Its like a monkey off my back!

Simple but nice completion screen.

Time to take on the epic Saturn version again. I love the Saturn Shinobi, its just very looong and doesn't get challenging until that infamous jump on stage 7! sure looks good in parts on crt/rgb, some nice music too! time to re-buy that.

Happy New Year Retro Section

Quite the irony in your achievement given your username!

Congrats all the same.

Comment

Neo Zeed has gone, for now. We're all just one big happy family.

Comment

Did you use infinite Shuriken?
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

i remember wandering that bloody maze for an age and never getting out of it, my ten year old self could get there quite easily but would just wander about aimlessly for an age then turn it off bored.

Comment

Do I prefer MD Shadow Dancer to Revenge of Shinobi?

I guess I have fond memories of both, but I bloomin' loved Shadow Dancer (the game, not the thread starter...).

I always used to do the infinite shurikens cheat on RoS (can you hear the SFX of the 00 turning to the infinity symbol in your head too?! ), but with Shadow Dancer, I loved the challenge so much that I turned the shurikens off and took down Neo Zeed with just a sword and a dog.

Comment

QC, you and I are no longer friends. ROS is easily better than SD.

YEAH I SAID IT.

Pretty sure I used the infinite shuriken cheat on ROS back in the day.

Comment

I totally agree that RoS is a timeless classic and has some set-pieces that are unforgettable, but the point I was making is that SD is a great arcade game because I can happily replay it.

As was mentioned Lebowski, some parts are a bit of a grind to get through on repeated playthroughs and the thought of trying it without shurikens isn't an appealing one for me.

Comment

Used default settings Dar, just 50 Shuriken. its easy enough anyway Difficulty Normal/default.

Comment

Well played Dar.

On MD The Super Shinobi is better than Shadow Dancer IMO, but the arcade Shadow Dancer is one of my favourite games ever.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Thanks bud. I did once own the Shadow Dancer original Sega PCB and I also Love the Mega Drive Shadow Dancer. Massive fan of Shadow Dancer since I was a young boy.

Comment

MD Shadow Dancer > Revenge of Shinobi, IMO.

Tsukachan's work on the SD OST matches Koshiro-san's legendary RoS music.

All that said, Arcade Shadow Dancer is brutal with its difficulty - makes original Shinobi look p1ss-easy.

Comment

...And I STILL don't understand why MD Shadow Dancer differed from the coin-op original whereas the SMS version ported the coin-op?

(Exact same thing with E-SWAT)

Comment

With E-SWAT, my guess is it's a combination of the big sprites and arcade gameplay that had to be changed to use a MD-friendly sprite pallete and a storyline that saw your character evolve.

No idea about Shadow Dancer though as it's the only conversion that differs!

Some brainbox on here must know THE FACTS!

Comment

Actually, I just watched a video and the graphics on E-SWAT arcade are the same quality as the Mega Drives! Rose-tinted specs and all that.

The arcade was completed it in 16 minutes and the version in about 17, so it can't be longevity reasons either.

I wish I'd asked Sketcz to find out whilst he was over in Japan researching his book,

Comment

Working...
                              X