Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retron 5, worth it?

Hi all,

Its sort of retro, but not retro I guess.

Has anyone had the pleasure of using this? Im not sure if its out yet. The idea of not having to swap cables out is quite nice, and having everything in one place seems great.

Any word on compatability?

What are your thoughts?

How much is it? Doesnt look too bad. Pad's a shocker obvs but not a problem here.

Comment

This should be in general gaming!

Looks crap to me, though it serves the purpose of an emulator fairly well, I suppose.

Comment

Detailed Eurogamer review 'ere

In the rapidly maturing clone console market, the Retron 5 has become something of a legend. Announced amid great fanfa…

Comment

Doesn't play all games despite them bull****ting that it does, there is a massive thread on digital press about it. They said they tested every famicom game with it when they obviously didn't as people are trying games that are not working. Apparently it also wipes GBA saves if you use your carts in it, from what i have read of all the complaints about the thing, it seems buggy & unfinished.

Certainly not worth the retail price, im already in front of my tv & have the pc connected so i'd rather just use an emulator & my converted USB pads than pay a load of cash for what basically is an emulator in a box pretending to be a console.

Comment

That controller looks horrible

Comment

Two words, it's crap and plays downloaded ROM images, there are threads all over the net about this none positive.

Comment

It also won't play Flash carts such as the everdrive series or many home brew carts.

Basically it's an Android powered emulator that downloads a "rom" from your original cartridge then emulates the console to play it.

I have a retron 5, it's called a lap top by Acer and can play 10 times more different systems than the Retron 5 all with the same screen options and far higher compatability

Comment

I had one pre-ordered until reviews started to roll in, Hyperkin are also categorically the worst company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with and have constantly lied about the release date. I'd rather deal with Dell's Alienware division than these jokers...

Comment

Played one last night and I liked it.

Despite arriving well over a year late, at least in the EU, I finally got to try the Retron 5 last night and it did not fail to deliver. F...

Comment

thanks for the impressions, certainly raises my interest more in this.

Comment

I only played it for a but so didn't get to test it thoroughly but I really liked it. It's so much easier and more convenient that using a computer connected to a TV.

Comment

Suprised it passed your SNES emulation test.

Maybe you're going soft?

Comment

Nah. It worked really very well, having a real pad made it all the better.

Comment

Yes thanks for the impressions, have read previously that image quality was top notch, and really the main selling point.

Comment

Working...
                              X