Sony PlayStation - 20th Anniversary of Japanese Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony PlayStation - 20th Anniversary of Japanese Release

Tomorrow, the 3rd of December 2014 marks 20 years since the release of the Sony PlayStation in Japan.

Happy 20th!

So let's discuss the wonders of the system.

This GamesMaster clip really reminds me of my Fleet friends Jimmy_G and BA005. We used to watch it again and again and again. Although they were extremely early adopters of the Saturn (see 'Sega Saturn - 20th Anniversary of Japanese launch' thread) it only took a couple of weeks for their heads to be turned by the Sony PlayStation. This turned out to be an early reflection for how the rest of the World would feel later on of course.

I wanted to be loyal to Sega, although I never respected Sega in the home before the Saturn (my Japanese RGB Mega Drive, the 12th in the country from years before was a mere nostalgic memory after the infinitely more pleasure the PCE and SFC had given me thereafter), they were obviously the joint kings of the arcades with Namco but a new Nintendo was miles away and looked dangerously Americanised and Sony were just nothing without Namco. It might as well of been the `Namco PlayStation`.

It was definately Sega versus Namco again, this time for the home. The only choice for me was a Saturn and the eventual 2D plain arcade action games it surely must be able to cope with. I was a huge Ridge Racer fan in the arcade and I was hugely disappointed with the conversion on the Sony Playstation (regardless of the obvious unfair expectations) half the framerate, lower resolution, more pop-op and horrendous polygon folding. It did nothing for me. I knew both machines were no good for 3D but I bet on the Saturn to be the 2D powerhouse. Overall I think I was wrong, the PlayStation turned out to be the greatest 2D powerhouse of that generation behind the Sega Saturn, just.

Although Jimmy_G already had a Japanese RGB Sony PlayStation with Ridge Racer for Christmas 1994 from CEX Rathbone Place, London, it was "pant wettingly exciting" that one of us would be the first person to finally be going to Japan, to Tokyo a few months later. That person was BA005:

`I first visited Tokyo in March 1995. The trip was my 18th birthday present from my Father. When I woke up on my birthday, there was a card for me. At first I thought he hadn't bought me a gift, but when I opened the card, there was a message saying that my present was his offer to take me anywhere in the World.
    Because I so desperately wanted a Sony PlayStation and Ridge Racer at that time, I told him that the place I'd like to go the most is Akihabara in Tokyo.`

And I`ve never met anyone else since that went all the way to Japan just to buy one game, 20 years ago!!

20 years ago most English kids were still playing on their 16-bit PAL computers and "waggling their joysticks frantically in their bedrooms."

22:26-24:25:

What are your memories of the release of the Japanese Sony Playstation?

Originally posted by JAPJAC View Post

Although Jimmy_G already had a Japanese RGB Sony PlayStation with Ridge Racer for Christmas 1994 from CEX Rathbone Place, London, it was "pant wettingly exciting" that one of us would be the first person to finally be going to Japan, to Tokyo a few months later. That person was BA005:

`I first visited Tokyo in March 1995. The trip was my 18th birthday present from my Father. When I woke up on my birthday, there was a card for me. At first I thought he hadn't bought me a gift, but when I opened the card, there was a message saying that my present was his offer to take me anywhere in the World.
    Because I so desperately wanted a Sony PlayStation and Ridge Racer at that time, I told him that the place I'd like to go the most is Akihabara in Tokyo.`

And I`ve never met anyone else since that went all the way to Japan just to buy one game, 20 years ago!!
    Never had one but this made me laugh.

I was very uncool and had a launch pal unit....Boooooooo! I did always enjoy a waggle though if memory serves.

Comment

I bought mine from Ray at Skill Academy the day before the Jap launch.

I remember getting a call to say that they were in at Heathrow a day earlier than expected and he could send it out next day.
      **** that!!! Leicester was not that far from Heathrow, I would meet him there in 2 hours.

I did and got my PSX with RR. I was so excited that I drove off with my mobile phone on the roof of the car, I watched it slide over the bonnet at the first junction. Luckily it still worked OK when I picked it up off the road.

I remember rushing back and playing on RR till the early hours.

Comment

You could have probably saved time and money by going to Jive Consoles in Loughborough.

Comment

There was a certain buzz to the import days. Let's not forget that was also a sense of relief when the games actually showed up! I had several unfortunate "No shows" for import megadrive games bought from the classified ads section of SuperPlay/C&VG etc.

I loved the PSone for Ridge Racer, and to be honest ignorance is bliss! I didn't have an arcade near by so had maybe played the arcade game 3-4 times and when booting a PSX I had no idea it was less resolution, I didn't spot the lowered FPS and I certainly didn't complain about the graphics.

My best memories of import gaming were the 16bit days though. This really was the era when I felt we got arcade quality games in the home. PSX was great, but already by PS2 I didn't bother buying at launch/importing and it wasn't until the GameCube that I imported again, from a link from NTSC-uk to Goblin Games if memory serves.

20 years since playstation then.

Since university and indie music and festivals and falling in love for the first time. Since living alone, growing up and starting life as an adult. 20 years...... 20 years!

Comment

A penny for Nintendo's thoughts?

Comment

limited edition ps4 inbound with in original ps1 colours. The packaging and the whole set up are fantastic I really want one of these, they look awesome.

nice

Last edited by Lebowski; 03-12-2014, 09:41.

Comment

I received a PlayStation from my parents in 1997. It came from Toys R Us with 6 games, which were as I recall:

- Actua Soccer
                - Actua Tennis
                - True Pinball
                - Rayman
                - Street Racer

And one other that eludes me right now...

None of them were much cop, except Rayman which I already owned on PC, and Street Racer which I did get a lot of fun out of in 2 player. I didn't know it was a SNES port at the time.

It wasn't my first game console but it was a very formative one. Tomb Raider, Rage Racer, and WipEout 2097 were some of the memorable early games I played on it. I was also addicted to the Die Hard 2 portion of Die Hard Trilogy despite not actually owning a G-Con, and instead using the d-pad on the controller!

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                  limited edition ps4 inbound with in original ps1 colours. The packaging and the whole set up are fantastic I really want one of these, they look awesome.

nice

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...tion-revealed/
                  That sir, is awesome. Where do you get one??

Comment

At the time, I overlooked purchasing a PS1 for an N64 instead (don't regret it) but it was obvious that the tide was turning - a lot of my friends got onboard with PS1 and never looked back.

That said, I did eventually get around to loaning a PS1 from my local Blockbuster Video back when they did console hardware rental for a small deposit (remember that?), and I was blown away by titles like Ridge Racer, International Track & Field & ISS PRO. That's not even mentioning the fact that the gap between home and arcade had been effectively bridged with games like Tekken, Time Crisis (used a controller plugged into port 2 as a makeshift pedal - feet on the buttons!), Street Fighter Alpha and so on.

Pound-for-pound, the PS1 is up there with any console that you can name for standout gaming moments and experiences. A real game-changer in every sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      At the time, I overlooked purchasing a PS1 for an N64 instead (don't regret it) but it was obvious that the tide was turning - a lot of my friends got onboard with PS1 and never looked back.

That said, I did eventually get around to loaning a PS1 from my local Blockbuster Video back when they did console hardware rental for a small deposit (remember that?), and I was blown away by titles like Ridge Racer, International Track & Field & ISS PRO. That's not even mentioning the fact that the gap between home and arcade had been effectively bridged with games like Tekken, Time Crisis (used a controller plugged into port 2 as a makeshift pedal - feet on the buttons!), Street Fighter Alpha and so on.

Pound-for-pound, the PS1 is up there with any console that you can name for standout gaming moments and experiences. A real game-changer in every sense.

lol i did that with the original time crisis

ACTION.... RELOAD....

I got one the christmas it came out, I wanted one as soon as i saw Tekken running on it. we had Tekken in our cafeteria at college and we would have some pretty rowdy matches in there which eventually led to it being removed, (intimidating indeed) it was amazing having arcade games like Tekken and ridge racer in your home .
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 04-12-2014, 09:20.

Comment

That LE PS4 is absolutely stunning. I will do my level best to get one once they announce how to preorder. Such a nostalgia trip for me as it was a very important part of my childhood.

Plus it just looks straight up sick!!

It's going to be tricky though...just 12,300 units globally. Going to be a rare one in the future for sure.

Comment

499 euros too. But...

So nice.

Comment

And you just know that a good few of them will pop up on Flea-Bay for 2-3x RRP...

Comment

That, or sat in some boring collectors basement unused.

Comment

Working...
                              X