Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    Amazing!
    Assuming you're not taking the p1ss, I thought so. Some stuff I really didn't know.

Comment

I'm not taking the piss. Anything that tears down a PlayStation like that is great in my eyes.

Comment

Great little video, one of the earlier PS models featured a very high quality CD pickup, I believe audiophiles were picking them up to put into their sound systems.

Comment

Yes, that's a lovely little video, thanks!

BONUS FACT!
          If you laid every PlayStation that was made end-to-end, you would have a really inconvenient trip hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
            Great little video, one of the earlier PS models featured a very high quality CD pickup, I believe audiophiles were picking them up to put into their sound systems.
            That's a load of hoohaa as I recall. They have a good DAC but need heavy modding to make use of it.

And yeah, that is a SCPH-1001.

Comment

One interesting point is that they're right in that 2,400-odd PS1-capacity CDs would take up that much storage, however, few PS1 games actually took up the whole disc. Some, like Ridge Racer, only took up about 20mb. I seem to remember someone telling me that Street Fighter EX was similarly very small.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                One interesting point is that they're right in that 2,400-odd PS1-capacity CDs would take up that much storage, however, few PS1 games actually took up the whole disc. Some, like Ridge Racer, only took up about 20mb. I seem to remember someone telling me that Street Fighter EX was similarly very small.
                That sounds true, because some early games were loaded entirely (At least the track or section the user was playing) onto RAM so you could swap out the game disc and replace it for an audio CD, to play the CD music whilst the game was running.

Although that sounds a small amount, some MD or SNES games were only a few MB so just hitting double figures must have been a hell of a jump!

Comment

In a Sega Saturn magazine I have Final Fantasy VII is toted to have TWO discs!!!

lol

Comment

In a Sega Saturn magazine I have Final Fantasy VII is toted to have TWO discs!!!

lol
                    I seem to recall that being the word until relatively close to launch, because the final game is on 3, but the vast majority of the game is on the first 2.

Comment

Hmm, I don't recall the third disc being that short. At least, not compared to VIIIs disc 4.

Comment

Hmm, I don't recall the third disc being that short. At least, not compared to VIIIs disc 4.
                        That's because you do a lot on disc 3, but by the time you're there, the majority of the narrative is over. The world is still open though, and that appears on all discs.

Strangely enough, this reminds me of how the PC version of Final Fantasy VII required a massive install (probably a few hundred mb, which was seen as massive) and very powerful hardware to run well (for the time), but the console version ran in 2mb of RAM, streamed from the disc. It must have been a terrible port in terms of efficiency.

Comment

Err, wasn't that the case with all PC games versus their console versions?

Comment

Wasn't Metal Gear Solid pretty similar where the second disc was comparatively short, but the Jeep chase was pretty demanding so they had to split it?

Comment

That splits off after the second time you fight Sniper Wolf. Still a few hours to go there. You could be right though.

Comment

Err, wasn't that the case with all PC games versus their console versions?
                                Yes, mostly. The difference is that the PC version of FFVII still required the correct discs inserted at the correct times, and it did run off them in-part (you could hear it doing so, old CD-ROM drives being as loud as they were).

Most PC games just dumped the game on the hard drive then required the CD to be inserted as a form of copy-protection.

Comment

Working...
                                X