Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Also worth saying that Rise of the Robots did sell. Mainly because of Brian May's involvement in the project.
    Didn't ET on the Atari also sell over a million , never mind some of the rubblish like Mighty Morphing Power Rangers on the MD and so on

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      Plenty of ****e today too.
      No making out otherwise . Like I said there's was plenty of crap in the so called glory days . There's some shockers on the PS, PS2 and Saturn and looking back in the old Super Play mag some of the Snes crap that came from Japan was shocking .

Comment

What's your point?

Comment

What's your point?
          In every generation there's plenty of crap . This gen is no better or worse than before

Comment

Wrong on one part.

Comment

I'd have said consumers are generally more savvy now than before.

If a game wasn't reviewed in a magazine, and not every single game was, all you had to go on was the boxart, blurb and screenshots on the packaging.

We should probably do a retro thread of games you bought back in the day, purely on the strength of the boxart!

These days, every game is reviewed multiple times and is only a web search away.
              I'm not saying people don't still buy games on the strength of the boxart, but it's easier to avoid it being the only way to find out about a game.

Comment

Rise of the Robots is surely worse?
                I know there was a magazine somewhere i think it was a multi format one that gave each version of the game 80-90% reviews ....the game was so bad was obvious something fishy was going on there

Comment

I seem to remember it getting a review like that. Would love to read it!

Comment

Wrong on one part.
                    That would be ?

Comment

The assumption that games are as good as ever. Some are of course but few games are current gen exclusives, Nintendo are anonymous, open world games dominate with their ultra generic tick box design and games are released in slopped condition than ever.

Thought things are looking up. Big 18 months ahead.

Comment

There's just more of everything now, today your average Indie now is as large and as competent as most developers bar Sega and Nintendo were in the 90s. Games are also much more complex, a 16-bit 2D platformer is a relatively simple thing to get right compared to modern FPS with dynamic lighting, environments and online functionality.

I personally think anyone who thinks the 8/16/32 bit eras were better is factoring in nostalgia and the experience of being a gamer back then (playing with school mates, going to the newsagent for a magazine, excitement/prestige/benefit of importing) if anyone cuts that stuff away and still thinks games were better back in the day I suggest they stock up on copies of CVG from eBay before turning off the internet, sticking their fingers in their ears and getting what they can from Metal Gear on MSX or Street Fighter 2 on SNES while the rest of us enjoy Metal Gear Solid 5 and Street Fighter 5.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          If a game wasn't reviewed in a magazine, and not every single game was, all you had to go on was the boxart, blurb and screenshots on the packaging..
                          This is how I ended up with Robotica on the Saturn.

Comment

The assumption that games are as good as ever.
                            Never said that. Just saying there has always been plenty of rubbish games in every gen, I lost count of the amount of crap, on the Mega CD for staters .

open world games dominate with their ultra generic tick box design and games are released in slopped condition than ever
                            No different for the 16 bit gen with their ' ultra generic tick box design' for a crappy platform game from the likes of Prope and the countless crappy licensed rubbish . Your grief seems to me to be more with Japan and Nintendo just not performing this gen

Comment

I'm not really bothered about Nintendo but they aren't a big player now. Japan falling is an irk but that's because the west make mostly ****ty action games.

Comment

Japan falling is an irk but that's because the west make mostly ****ty action games.
                                Depends on what action games you tend to like . It's a huge shame that Itagaki-san split from Temco and Team Ninja and so the prospect of Ninja Gaiden coming back to form isn't really there . Guess one can hope that From Software , Capcom or The Yakuza Team come up with decent action games this gen.

Anyway I'll also like to add Victory Goal- Saturn, Ryan Giggs Football, Pele football (Both on the MD) on the list too- Some of the worst Football games ever made

Comment

Working...
                                X