Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro gaming to avoid, the worst of the worst.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When actually that tired prediction has rarely turned out to be the case since people started it in the N64 days.
    God you could work for the Labour party with your spin and twisting of what people say in the way they spin Labour didn't cause the crash anytime they asked about over spending lol. No-one is saying Nintendo are going to go bust or are in any real danger like that .

They are losing the hearts and minds of gamers for consoles and the fact that they are all about to dump the Wii U with a new console should tell you all you need to know .

Anway one of the worst games I played back in the day was this ...

Mortal Kombat: Special Forces

Comment

Some more crap games I played back inthe day

Blues Brothers - N64

South Park and South Park Rally On the N64

Castlevania - N64

Comment

People might want to list why these games are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          OK, I'll offer one, though this may ruffle feathers - the Battle Arena Toshinden series.

I think they're all crap. The first one was novel at the time due to visuals (shaded and texture mapped before Tekken, and its 3D roll move) but overall I think they have nothing to offer the modern gamer. Pretty much everything good about it has found its way into far superior games.
          They were all **** in release. First just looked good at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            They were all **** in release. First just looked good at the time.
            Yeah, that's what I mean. The first looked good and had some ideas that were novel (if not great), but that's about it.

Rival Schools and Street Fighter EX+a are better retro 3D Street-fighter style games.
            Soul Blade/Calibur are superior weapons fighters (hell even Last Bronx).
            Tekken 1/Virtua Fighter 1 are both superior 3D fighters from that era.

I don't feel there's any reason at all to go near Toshinden.

Comment

Air Diver on MD. Think of a bad Afterburner clone when the system itself had a threadbare version of that game anyway.

Power Athlete/Deadly Moves. SNES or MD. Both total ship.

Time Commando
              on PS1.

Beverly Hills Cop on PS2. Possibly THE worst game. Like if an Action 52 contained polygonal 3D shooters. This would be the template.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                What is it with game designers, and characters shooting flames from random parts of their body? Dhalsim and his mouth made sense. Flambe titties do not. Neither did the Scotsman lifting his kilt to shoot a fireball in Kasumi Ninja.
                I've no idea but I'm glad they exist

Comment

Fight for life on jaguar. O remember the developers proudly showing it off at ces (I think). Telling us it would be much better when it was finished. The final game was as awful as their demo. Makes toshinden look like virtua fighter in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Fight for life on jaguar. O remember the developers proudly showing it off at ces (I think). Telling us it would be much better when it was finished. The final game was as awful as their demo. Makes toshinden look like virtua fighter in comparison.
                    Looking at the video, that game looks a real shame. It looks like an attempt to create something like Virtua Fighter, and they seem to have got pretty far. I suspect it's just unfinished.

Comment

The devs were very boastful at the show, like they were superior to everyone else there with their silly 2d games so I actually found it hilarious that it was so awful when it came out. A friend and I were aspiring game devs ourselves at the time and were working on a jetpac lunar lander mashup for the Amiga so I guess we took umbridge at their attitude and when we ultimately failed to finish our own game felt better about ourselves that this one was so bad. I'm a terrible human being yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        The devs were very boastful at the show, like they were superior to everyone else there with their silly 2d games
                        That's the one thing I can't abide, and something in gaming to avoid like the plague - anyone who thinks video games are generally substandard/childish/a waste of time, but their work is so transformative as to "legitimise" it, making it socially acceptable for them to work on videogames.

Anyone who expresses that opinion is, in my experience, a complete and utter tosser.

Comment

Wouldn't most Jaguar games deserve a place in this thread? Battle Arena Toshinden sucked big time on both PlayStation and Saturn amazed it managed to get the number of games it did.

Comment

Apparently the Fight for Life beta is much better than the finished code. I heard they guys were stitched up by publisher so deliberately pressed old code.

Although it sounds like a big cover up now..

Comment

I always wanted to try Shaq Fu, but certain scathing reviews made me think twice. I still think its a Game I will try though.

Comment

Same. The sprites are very small but I liked how they look back in the day. Still haven't ever tried it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X