Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay - maybe a poor choice of words on my part? I did warn that I was bitter

But, certainly not looking to belittle or dismiss anyone's opinions. I just never thought it was as groundbreaking as a lot of people seemed to think (and clearly still do think!) it was.

Comment

For me Doom stood above Wolf, Catacombs and Blake Stone because of (as mentioned) the use of vertical space, and also the inclusion of windows. Being able to peek into areas and see the monsters, and wonder how to get to them, was really cool. It might not have been the first game to do it or whatever, but it was really awesome at the time and felt like a huge step up.

And Goldeneye...those faces. I was amazed by the realism. Amazed!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        And Goldeneye...those faces. I was amazed by the realism. Amazed!
        Admittedly, I remember the 2nd level when you first saw 006/Sean Bean, and it was recognisably Sean Bean. Given, his head was a box with a photo of Sean Bean pasted onto it, but that didn't detract from the moment.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I guess it was significant in the console space. There have been a few games like that - bringing stuff that was familiar on PC to consoles and hitting big as a result.
        Nah, I want to talk about this briefly as this comes up a lot.

Given, FPS titles were the mainstay on PC, but they were also quite derivative. I think that whilst Duke offered some ideas, the vast majority of PC FPS titles were, essentially, Doom (leading to the name "Doom-clone" mentioned earlier by Dogg Thang). They involved you travelling through mazes, collecting keys and killing everything that moved, with very little else going on. For instance, though technically a huge leap, in terms of what it was, Quake was a very similar game to Doom.

A few games had tried to break this pattern. One that springs to mind is Dark Forces (which tried to give the genre a more narrative spin), but even that was still essentially Doom in a Star Wars skin.

Goldeneye was as much a first-person adventure game as it was a shooter. Its mix of weapons, stealth, objectives - even mini-cutscenes where characters spoke to you in-game - these were game-changers. I would argue that Goleneye had a massive influence on later titles, such as Deus Ex, which were even more objective oriented.

I suppose in summary, Goldeneye was the first FPS I ever played where you would haveten benefit from not killing everything you came across in a level (and not just because you didn't have enough ammo). That was a revolution in FPS design.

Comment

Goldeneye was significent because it was 4 player on one system and one tv. It was ultra playable and superbly designed yet it was cheap to buy and enjoy. Everything Quake and co wasn't.

I wrote this for Retro Collect about 007.

A Retro Gaming Collectors Community, offering Rarity Guides, Reviews and a place to share your games collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Goldeneye was as much a first-person adventure game as it was a shooter. Its mix of weapons, stealth, objectives - even mini-cutscenes where characters spoke to you in-game - these were game-changers. I would argue that Goleneye had a massive influence on later titles, such as Deus Ex, which were even more objective oriented.
            I don't know. You bring up Dark Forces which had many of those things already. I agree with the game's significance but don't put it down to those things because I think those were happening already around Goldeneye to varying degrees. I think the console aspect and especially what Naka posted about above had a bigger effect than the aspects you mention.

Maybe a big thing about Goldeneye is that it had all those things together.

Comment

I think the Bond setting of Goldeneye worked hand-in-hand with the film.
              When you watch the film again, you feel like the set is real, because you've personally infiltrated the Arkhangelsk Dam.

As a Bond fan, I loved all the references and the use of henchmen from previous films (and the cleaner's face!) and the variety of weapons on offer.

Although I liked Perfect Dark, it lacked the Bond licence and I found all the alien stuff a little silly (IMHO!).

Personally, I preferred Time Splitters, which came out the same year. I liked the PS2 controller more, the crisper graphics and the variety of locations that the time travel McGuffin allowed.

Comment

Goldeneye was significent because it was 4 player on one system and one tv
                Loads of games did that .
                I think Golden Eye was significent becasue it was a great single player game that followed the film well and for a console FPS had pretty vast and open levels, that laid the ground work for console FPS like Halo .

Goldeneye was as much a first-person adventure game as it was a shooter
                To me Exhumed was the FPS to really break the mold and played like Super Metroid only in FP and had level desgin right up there with Mario IV . It's AI was pretty awesome at the time too .

Comment

Exhumed is probably my favourite FPS of all time. Its Metroid progression was perfect and it was also an incredible platformer on top of being a FPS. The level design is superb.

I still have sadness when I remember the leaflet that came with my Dreamcast that listed Exhumed 2 as coming for that system...

Comment

I still have sadness when I remember the leaflet that came with my Dreamcast that listed Exhumed 2 as coming for that system..
                    That was just a rumor put in the likes of CVG.. I'm sure the team only said that the game was in development for the PS , that was to be an exclusive and that it was also be 3rd person .

Comment

Were there other 4 player split screen fps games before 007?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        That was just a rumor put in the likes of CVG.. I'm sure the team only said that the game was in development for the PS , that was to be an exclusive and that it was also be 3rd person .
                        It was on Sega's own DC leaflet here in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          Were there other 4 player split screen fps games before 007?
                          Well I was taking of 4 player games split screen on console . But didn't both Hexxen 64 and Doom 64 feature 4 player mode before Goldeneye ?

Comment

It was on Sega's own DC leaflet here in Europe.
                            That's SEGA Europe who got a lot of things wrong in that era . I still have an interview with Lobotomy boss and in that he said it was to be a exclusives for the PS and 3rd person and the team had 2 other projects . After the way SEGA America almost killed the team with the their Duke and Quake contracts , I doubt Lombotmy would go anywhere near SEGA and the DC tbh

Comment

Well we know it never came to the DC and I obviously can't vouch for the accuracy of Sege Europe. Nevertheless it was there and I can assure you my disappointment that it never came to that or anything else was very real.

Comment

Exhumed is probably my favourite FPS of all time. Its Metroid progression was perfect and it was also an incredible platformer on top of being a FPS. The level design is superb.
                                Part of me is sorry I missed out on Exhumed. I played the demo on PC and was unimpressed, so I never got into it. I understand the Saturn version is superb.

Comment

Working...
                                X