Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I wouldn't call GTA "retro" as per the thread title, I know where you're coming from, [MENTION=6557]boxhead[/MENTION].

It's weird that this game that's supposed to be for adults feels so immature.
    I hate all the unnecessary swearing.

I was saying the other day that I wish GTA V had a kids mode where you just get to do all the fun stuff without all the violence and bad language. I can imagine parents and children could explore the map together or sky dive, scuba, mountain bike and so on together.

Comment

The Saturn version of Exhumed is meant to be the best but PS1 still a fine game. I'd love to spend more time with it.

I can't remember if Doom or Hexen had 4 player modes. Maybe.
      Hexxen 64 did for sure, can't remember with Doom 64 - but I'm sure we played that in 4 player mode down a mates house back in the day . Exhumed is brilliant on both the Saturn and PS . But the Saturn version is better in places some of the level changes aren't as good nor is the lighting Ect.

Comment

Me and my mates never played GTA3 properly. We'd just take turns going on drunken stoned 6* rampages. After we got bored of doing that none of us have had the stomach for another entry since.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          It's weird that this game that's supposed to be for adults feels so immature.
          I hate all the unnecessary swearing.
          This sums up my thoughts on The Last Of Us.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
            Fair enough, but it's not retro is it?
            I suppose not although I was thinking of the ps3 version and I suppose it relates to all the GTAs...

Comment

I have to say I didn't really like the 1st Shenmue and found it to boring and vastly overrated . Didn't like the Time Splitter games either

Comment

I didn't like TimeSplitters either. I really tried.

TS2 had good music though.

Comment

banjo kazooie is a game I didn't like but tried really hard to get on with.

I know this is going to sound terrible but I really don't like the character designs that rare produce. to me they just seem a bit lame compared to other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
                    GTA V is a game I've tried desperately to like but I just can't find any room in my heart for it.
                    Although GTAV isn't retro, I echo this for all GTA games after the first one, but particularly 3 onwards. I loved the first GTA on PC; it was daft as a brush but really fun. I've always felt the 3D sequels took away from that, somehow.

Fortunately we have Saints Row to supply whatever was lost.

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
                      banjo kazooie is a game I didn't like but tried really hard to get on with.

I know this is going to sound terrible but I really don't like the character designs that rare produce. to me they just seem a bit lame compared to other companies.
                      Though it wasn't up there with Mario 64, I really ended up enjoying the first Banjo but I'll fully concur with your opinion on the character designs they use, especially in that game. I remember the godawful CGI mock-ups in magazines at the time, really badly proportioned with overly-wispy 'fur' and *those* comedy eyes tacked on. I love that Rare has a 'style' but it's not one I really like...although I do find myself warming to it as their games are usually quality. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Though it wasn't up there with Mario 64, I really ended up enjoying the first Banjo but I'll fully concur with your opinion on the character designs they use, especially in that game. I remember the godawful CGI mock-ups in magazines at the time, really badly proportioned with overly-wispy 'fur' and *those* comedy eyes tacked on. I love that Rare has a 'style' but it's not one I really like...although I do find myself warming to it as their games are usually quality. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard?
                        Exactly. their designs just seem too zany but not in a quirky or unique way, more like some depressing dude with no creativity was tasked with creating something that looks a bit mario-like. It just looks too obvious for me and not loveable and weird like nintendos designs.

It's a bit shallow on my part but it stops me from really enjoying their games.

Comment

I too have never been a fan of Rare's design. I thought their designs for anything with humans (KI etc) has been poor with their huge heads and no real style whatsoever. And their DK and Banjo Kazooie stuff has been functional but very middle of the road for me. That's if they indeed were part of that DK design which has now become pretty standard. Just not my thing at all.

But I have enjoyed many of their games regardless.

Comment

Glad it wasn't only me! I admired what they did with Banjo, Kameo etc. but the godawful character design always jars! I think Goldeneye is probably their nicest-looking game because it falls purely in the realm of 'realism'. Don't get me wrong, they always polish their games up and they look nice in their own 'Rare way' but I could imagine Clive Dunn as 'Grandad' drawing the character designs for Banjo on the back of a beermat for his grandson whilst on his deathbed.

I don't wanna dis Rare, like I said they make quality stuff. Traveller's Tales remind me of a lesser Rare, though their designs feel more sterile than the folk art-y stuff of Rare. And they did the godawful Rascal, iirc?

Comment

FF7. Okay, it's not a bad game, it's a pretty decent game, but not compared to FF6 imo, and the hype ran away with it. Despite the acclaim, it was also one of the most highly returned videogames in history.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                FF7. Okay, it's not a bad game, it's a pretty decent game, but not compared to FF6 imo, and the hype ran away with it. Despite the acclaim, it was also one of the most highly returned videogames in history.
                                Everyone knows FF6 is the better game but I still maintain that 7 was brilliant. At the time it came out it was immense and graphically outstanding. It also made JRPGs a thing in the west.

the reason so many people took it back is because they didn't understand what they'd bought. It's just way too complex and slow moving for your average joe. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game.
                                Last edited by boxhead; 04-08-2015, 17:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X