(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I've been using that Retroarch for other emu's and have to say its the best emu program around . I also love SF III it's a classic
    Each time I delve back into emu I find things have evolved so much. These shaders which emulate how even the monitor should look is absolutely mind-blowing stuff, and a complete game-changer. I was thinking I'd have to rebuild my collection at some point in the near future but I don't think there's much point now. I mean, I had my Xperia play which could handle CPS-II perfectly however the games don't really suit a handheld at all, no matter how dinky and cool it is to have an arcade machine in your pocket.

Retroarch is amazing however it's a complete mess in terms of config. I think I've spent about eight hours trying to set up my controllers to key in nicely with the different cores I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      Retroarch is amazing however it's a complete mess in terms of config. I think I've spent about eight hours trying to set up my controllers to key in nicely with the different cores I'm using.
      I love how you can use other emu with it , its just an ace emu program that runs most classic consoles and Arcade games .

SFIII is beyond a classic... For me it's the best fighter ever created
      Its amazing and so well made, planned and thought out fighter it is just perfect . Sad thing is though, I never really appreciated at the time and thought it wasn't has good as SF II. Only now years latter have I really appreciated what a game this really is . I just wish the game kept SF II line scroll on the floor , that's my only fault with the game

Comment

Harmful Park, Mario Kart & Bubble Bobble. (PS, SFC, ARCADE via emu)

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          and the shrill noise when you lose baby Mario leaves me reaching for the off button.
          That's the only thing I dislike about the game, but I can appreciate why the designers included it. I wish there were an option to turn that sound effect off, though. Someone needs to hack the rom.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Harmful Park, Mario Kart & Bubble Bobble. (PS, SFC, ARCADE via emu)
          Three really fun games equals a whole lotta fun.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-02-2016, 20:37.

Comment

Had a blast on some more Neo Geo stuff this afternoon:
            Real Bout Special - top game. Love the 'chunkyness' of the sprites and quality of the backgrounds; mid-late 90s SNK were unmatched in this area IMO.The Hong Kong stage in particular is incredible. Special mention has to go to Duck King and the little dance that he does when idle

Samurai Shodown III - never been a massive fan of this series, but had a dabble on this today. Nothing much to say really except that the OST is lovely and that the CPU is as tough as old boots.

Comment

IV is vastly superior to III. II is still the best though.

Comment

IV is vastly superior to III. II is still the best though.
                QFT

Shin Samurai Spirits is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                  Samurai Shodown III - never been a massive fan of this series, but had a dabble on this today. Nothing much to say really except that the OST is lovely and that the CPU is as tough as old boots.
                  After X-Men COTA that is my fav fighter of all time (be that 2 or 3D) I just love its style look how every backdrop is just soooo atmospheric, the animation fantasic, love the line tilt effect on the floor , the music is also hauntingly beautiful and its features the best character ever in the form of Basara Kubikiri .

SNK were just something else in the 16 bit days . So miss them

Comment

II is still the best though.
                    That's good to know, because it's one of the few games I have for my AES. I got it from Japan for a bargain price along with World Heroes 2, which is also a game I've always liked.

Comment

Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown II, and to a slightly lesser extent AoF2 are the Holy Trinity of classic SNK. Every new AES owner should make them the first games they purchase as they can all be found for dirt cheap, even under the European format.

Comment

Fatal Fury Special
                        Yeah, I need to pick that up.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                          I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I think it is Nintendo's most overrated game and not a patch on SMW. If my memory serves me correctly it was released over here at the same time as DKC2, which is an absolute masterpiece and the far superior title.
                          In no reality is DKC2 better than Yoshi's Island. It isn't even better than DKC1, ffs!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            price along with World Heroes 2, which is also a game I've always liked.
                            Thought I was the only one . I love that game and the series , used to play it loads in my local chippy; in the good old days when pubs and local chip shops had Arcade machines

Comment

Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown II, and to a slightly lesser extent AoF2 are the Holy Trinity of classic SNK. Every new AES owner should make them the first games they purchase as they can all be found for dirt cheap, even under the European format.
                              I would say the original AOF over the sequel personally - if you want somebody to enjoy a series of games the second isn't the best option to try first because it's so unforgiving to people new to the series

I can finish AOF on one life but part 2 is a different beastie altogether, the fact that John here can fight Geese is testament to his skill at the game plus why spoil who Mr Karate is.......?

I would agree with the other two though, I don't really think shin is much better than the original but they are both superb games

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                That's good to know, because it's one of the few games I have for my AES. I got it from Japan for a bargain price along with World Heroes 2, which is also a game I've always liked.
                                The thing is World Heroes 2 is a good game, the first wasn't that great and Jet/perfect isn't that much cop either

Fuuma and Hanzo are poor main characters

Always liked captain Kidd and that one character alone made me like the game, but let's be honest it's not really a patch on some of the other fighters on the console

Comment

Working...
                                X