(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time. Great technical showcase , but not a great game to play imo . Donkeykong on the Wii U is a much better game too
    Really? Is that Wii U game an enhanced port of the 3DS game? I've heard a lot of positive praise over the game so have added it to my wish list!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
      Really? Is that Wii U game an enhanced port of the 3DS game? I've heard a lot of positive praise over the game so have added it to my wish list!
      I was more on about the Snes version . Also didn't the 3DS come after the WiiU version ?

Comment

I wouldn't waste your time. Great technical showcase , but not a great game to play imo . Donkeykong on the Wii U is a much better game too
        As a counterpoint I completed it a few weeks ago and I think it still holds up very well. It's certainly not as polished as Nintendo's own platformers but it's still very, very enjoyable. I've been playing the second game however and it's certainly not as good as I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          But what *is* better than Super Mario World?

is it unoriginal though? I completed the game fairly recently with my son and came to the conclusion that it doesn't really get enough credit these days. I think people remember the first fairly generic jungle level and write it off as derivative. The sections where you hit the switches to 'pause' the enemies, the barrels that act as cannons, some of the animals you can employ, the neat lighting tricks. I think these were pretty original at the time. There is so much variety in gameplay which I think gets forgotten. It's not just running from left to right and jumping over things. It's a truly great game (albeit let down in places by difficulty spikes) and the graphics and - even more so - incredible sound design are just the icing on the cake.
          Yeah, I agree with this. I should play through it with my youngest.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
            Wools, the WiiU game is Tropical Freeze and is a gorgeous game. My favourite of all the DKC games and up there with Super Mario World.
            The 3DS version is a port of the Wii game called Donkey Kong Country Returns which is decent, but nowhere near Tropical Freeze.
            Of course you can see in this thread that my opinion isn't always shared by the masses!
            Still, the David Wise OST is absolutely incredible and alone justifies playing through the game. A couple of example tracks:

Beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
              As a counterpoint I completed it a few weeks ago and I think it still holds up very well. It's certainly not as polished as Nintendo's own platformers but it's still very, very enjoyable. I've been playing the second game however and it's certainly not as good as I remember it.
              I don't think it was great to play back in the day . I loved it as a great graphical showcase for the system and RARE's talent (those snows and mine levels still look great) , but there was many better platform games and it wasn't fit to lick the boots of Super Castlevenia IV ,Mario , Quackshot imo

Comment

I don't think it was great to play back in the day . I loved it as a great graphical showcase for the system and RARE's talent (those snows and mine levels still look great)
                You have to admit that the control feels really fluid and the gameplay feels polished. You might not like the overall level design, or some other aspects of the game, but there's no denying it feels really nice to control with no annoying frame rate issues and bad animation spoiling things.

Comment

DKC is indeed very fluid.

Comment

Over the past week I've had to reconsider which is my favourite streets of rage, having played the three through again. I'm going to go with the second being my favourite now.

Comment

What was your favourite before?

Comment

I always tended to go for three first, now I think I've went completely different to before and prefer them as 2, 1, 3. Maybe I just sickened myself of the third one as I've played it through so many times?

Comment

That's quite a change. 3 is one I've always struggled to get in to but those that have generally love it the most.

Comment

For me it's the Japanese release of Bare Knuckle 3 as it's a vast improve over the English release with its hard difficulty and heavy censorship. They're like two different games when played side by side.

The Wii and Wii U DKCs games are terrible the SNES games are great fun to play with some wonderful level design and music.All the Wii U platformers are just subpar compared to early outings in the series.
                            Last edited by S3M; 24-02-2016, 21:03.

Comment

I think 2 is one of my favourite side scrolling brawlers ever. Although I am mostly fuelled by nostalgia

Comment

It's a shame the music in bare knuckle 3 is horrendously ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X