(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I don't think it was great to play back in the day . I loved it as a great graphical showcase for the system and RARE's talent (those snows and mine levels still look great) , but there was many better platform games and it wasn't fit to lick the boots of Super Castlevenia IV ,Mario , Quackshot imo
    Fair enough, I think it's really good. Not on par with Mario and a completely different game to super castlevania and quack shot, but still a quality plat former. There are better platform era of course, but that wasn't the point that was being made.

Incidentally have you played quack shot recently? I can't decide how it stacks up against castle of illusion. I sometimes find certain levels a little ploddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
      It's a shame the music in bare knuckle 3 is horrendously ****.
      I think he was trying to create a soundtrack that just wasn't suited to the sound chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
        Fair enough, I think it's really good. Not on par with Mario and a completely different game to super castlevania and quack shot, but still a quality plat former. There are better platform era of course, but that wasn't the point that was being made.

Incidentally have you played quack shot recently? I can't decide how it stacks up against castle of illusion. I sometimes find certain levels a little ploddy.
        I think DKC is very much like Sonic . A graphical showcase for the system, controls fan and is great to pick up and play. But for me there are simply loads more better platform games . Btw I was playing Quack Shot just the day and for me it's fab and a overlooked and underrated classic and as aged far better than Castle

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          I always tended to go for three first

I find 3 to be the best made game in the series and I love the improved controls and the new roll moves . It's just a shame the music is so crap and almost makes one not want to play 3, but put on 2 instead lol

Comment

I was more on about the Snes version . Also didn't the 3DS come after the WiiU version ?
            I could be wrong but i think it was made on 3DS first and then ported across onto the Wii U? Retro made the game as well didn't they?

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
            Wools, the WiiU game is Tropical Freeze and is a gorgeous game. My favourite of all the DKC games and up there with Super Mario World.
            The 3DS version is a port of the Wii game called Donkey Kong Country Returns which is decent, but nowhere near Tropical Freeze.
            Of course you can see in this thread that my opinion isn't always shared by the masses!
            Still, the David Wise OST is absolutely incredible and alone justifies playing through the game. A couple of example tracks:

Beautiful
            Sold!

Comment

If you've got a Wii U, might as well pick up DKC on VC too. Honestly, don't listen to the miserable naysayers on here. It's a fabulous game and the victim of a modern tendency to dismiss it as just another sub par Western (not sure why that matters) platformer from an era when such games were ten-a-penny.
              Last edited by Jay; 25-02-2016, 10:10.

Comment

Btw I was playing Quack Shot just the day and for me it's fab and a overlooked and underrated classic and as aged far better than Castle
                Strongly agree with you there. Forgotten what a cool game QS is until recently.

Comment

I couldn't get into QS back in the day, despite my love for Castle of Illusion. Might be time for a revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                    Strongly agree with you there. Forgotten what a cool game QS is until recently.
                    Yeah its a classic, that looks stunning (one of the best 16 bit looking platform games) sounds stunning for a MD game and is just a fantastic adv platform game . Castle of Illusion as aged a bit on the MD the controls aren't that smooth (hate the rope swings) and its just not as much fun or as well designed as Quackshot imo

Comment

Gunlord on Dreamcast. I guess that counts as retro.

Comment

Seem to be in a scrolling beat 'em up phase this week. Last night was TMNT Turtles in time, not really sure I get the love for this one. Sure, it's a pretty enough looking game, but it's not particularly fun to play, in fact I find it tediously repetitive. Also had another play through of The Punisher (Arcade) and still love this one, definitely a favourite.

Comment

Turtles is Time is a beautiful but basic game. Overrated but fun in multiplayer.

Donkey Kong Coutry Tropical Freeze is rubbish. Sloppy controls with stitch you up level design full of unfair situations. The first whilst frustrating in places, was much better.

Comment

Never saw the appeal in any of the DKC games to be honest. The graphics were admittedly a bit of a wow at the time, as was KI, so I guess that was a lot of their attraction to gamers?

Comment

The audio visuals were certainly a big thing with DKC. I do really like the original myself is it's really fluid and fairly well designed. Downhill after though.

DKC.
                              DKCR.
                              DKC3.
                              DKC2.
                              Tropical Freeze.

That's how I rate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                Never saw the appeal in any of the DKC games to be honest. The graphics were admittedly a bit of a wow at the time, as was KI, so I guess that was a lot of their attraction to gamers?
                                Well, that plus the first is a great game with great variety in gameplay, inventive design, fun levels, smooth controls. But we've been here already

Recently I've been playing Rollergames on the NES. It's a scrolling beat'em-up of sorts, but on rollerskates. It's surprisingly playable bar some annoying cheap bits. Plus you can play as a chubby dude if it takes your fancy.

Comment

Working...
                                X